Chapala.com Webboard

Already Prepared Pesto

hensley

Can I ask, what or where is Marlowe's? I'm about to make some pesto, actually. Basic recipes call for fresh basil (not a problem here) and pine nuts (insanely expensive). Small jars of imported pesto in Superlake range from 60p to OMG. I will make mine and determine if it is worth it, pricewise. (I see other recipes call for cashews... about as costly as pine nuts.)

Try making pesto with other nuts; walnuts, pecans, even peanuts. Be flexible and creative. You will find it fun and you will like the results of your experiments. Recipes are not carved in stone.

21 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Can I ask, what or where is Marlowe's? I'm about to make some pesto, actually. Basic recipes call for fresh basil (not a problem here) and pine nuts (insanely expensive). Small jars of imported pesto in Superlake range from 60p to OMG. I will make mine and determine if it is worth it, pricewise. (I see other recipes call for cashews... about as costly as pine nuts.)

J.E.Rosas, turns into Donato Guerro futher south. "Marlowe's Marvelous Market" is on the right heading south.  She has all sorts of homemade goodies.

They also have pesto at Walmart.

38 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Try making pesto with other nuts; walnuts, pecans, even peanuts. Be flexible and creative. You will find it fun and you will like the results of your experiments. Recipes are not carved in stone.

Yes, a little more searching after my post turned up recipes using different kinds of nuts. Should be fun.

As for "recipes are not carved in stone", there are very few recipes I strictly adhere to when it comes to ingredients and amounts, except for first-timers and some basic things that require proper allegiance.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

I always get a chuckle when reading food threads that start out with "where can I  buy?" and quickly turn into "here's how you can make".  She doesn't wanna make it, fer hevvins sake!!!  :rolleyes:

Me, too, especially the one about late-night pizza (no, thanks, I don't want to make it, I just want someone to bring me one!)... but in this case I was just adding a friendly note after asking the whereabouts, rather than starting a second pesto thread... I have my pine nuts, now, at 680p/kilo from the grainery...

39 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Me, too, especially the one about late-night pizza (no, thanks, I don't want to make it, I just want someone to bring me one!)... but in this case I was just adding a friendly note after asking the whereabouts, rather than starting a second pesto thread... I have my pine nuts, now, at 680p/kilo from the grainery...

I knew that.  Have a good pesto making session.  I took a look at all the "stuff" I haven't used since moving to Mexico, put it in the car trunk and consigned it at the thrift store across from 7/11 about a month ago.  There went the mixer, the George Forman grill, the hot plate and a few other dusty kitchen helpers. I settled for a panini maker whose parts can go in the soapy sink.  My kind of appliance.;)

Archived