Chapala.com Webboard

Aggressive people outside of Superlake and iShop.

10 minutes ago, Xena said:

Saturn, what do you do instead?

Hi Xena. Well, I pretty much have to do the same as everyone else, find a way around the situation. Park across the street if I am in the car, never in the parking lot. And limit shopping there. Some folks have mobility issues and cannot do that. Some people, for whatever reason, has little choice but to go there. 

I was agreeing with Mostly Lost. We shouldn't have to have this topic, continually come up, but we do, because the issue still exists. It exists, because shifty, aggressive opportunists are drawn to this area due to the relative wealth of the foreigners, to being able to intimidate older people. And Superlake, and it's surroundings, are where a lot of us do business. 

The business owners could stop this in its tracks, if they wanted to. We all know how things work here. If one, or more, of the store owners, were to, shall we say, have a certain type of conversation, with these hooligans, it would stop immediately. 

I find the whole situation very offensive...that it exists, and has to be tolerated. Like I said, it could end right now if the business owners want it to.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bennie2

saturn you are correct, but reality is what it is. people  here have high expectations. mine are low. this is not an upscale area. want armed guards? go to andares. you're in a backwater town & palewhite elderly are a target. they dont bother w/mexicans. why not just go to torittos? its filthy, but they have many of the same (packeged/containers) things i get @ SL. the produce can be awful, i get that @ the small places. (do the same between my 2 xs a month SL visits). some of the mex supermarkets have olive oil, bread, detergent, beans, cheese ect. no one is lurking around. why not shop there sometimes? change your mailing address & give up the ISHOP acct. so you lose some $ for the year? big deal. if an envirement is upleasent i change the location or in the case of SL, change the time. i notice mostly all expats choose the most uncomfortable situations then complain.

31 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

saturn you are correct, but reality is what it is. people  here have high expectations. mine are low. this is not an upscale area. want armed guards? go to andares. you're in a backwater town & palewhite elderly are a target. they dont bother w/mexicans. why not just go to torittos? its filthy, but they have many of the same (packeged/containers) things i get @ SL. the produce can be awful, i get that @ the small places. (do the same between my 2 xs a month SL visits). some of the mex supermarkets have olive oil, bread, detergent, beans, cheese ect. no one is lurking around. why not shop there sometimes? change your mailing address & give up the ISHOP acct. so you lose some $ for the year? big deal. if an envirement is upleasent i change the location or in the case of SL, change the time. i notice mostly all expats choose the most uncomfortable situations then complain.

Agree...this is what we have here, and those are viable alternatives. 

Saturn and Bennie, I do basically what you do. I limit my shopping trips to SL and choose times when the store is not busy (like early evening) or just park across the street. As they say, it is what it is. 

Guest bennie2

walmart is a song & a dance to buy some groceries. what a depressing dump. the other one is the same. why not just walk in somewhere like a normal person, buy somethings & walk out? or is that just too easy? walmart is not a store its a warehouse w/a parking lot. what is suritor? 

Never do I have a problem. I park were I want, not where they point and say hello to them in Street Spanish should they approach me. Those of you who look and act nervous, seem to be the ones they approach.

Show them respect when you say no, and after a while they will learn not to bother you.

4 hours ago, bennie2 said:

walmart is a song & a dance to buy some groceries. what a depressing dump. the other one is the same. why not just walk in somewhere like a normal person, buy somethings & walk out? or is that just too easy? walmart is not a store its a warehouse w/a parking lot. what is suritor? 

What do you mean by stating that Walmart and Soriana are both dumps.  And earlier you stated that El Torito is filthy in your eyes.     I admit that neither one of those are as nice as a Publix or even a Mega, but to call them a dump is pretty harsh, don't ya think?  I actually think Soriana is a pretty decent store with great prices, sometimes there you can find items you won't see at Walmart or even Super Lake.  Even our new and improved Surtidor that just opened up in Chapala about a month ago I think looks very nice, clean, and polished, albeit the selection could use some improvement.  But they definitely now have the space to do that by adding more ailes.

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

What do you mean by stating that Walmart and Soriana are both dumps.  And earlier you stated that El Torito is filthy in your eyes.     I admit that neither one of those are as nice as a Publix or even a Mega, but to call them a dump is pretty harsh, don't ya think?  I actually think Soriana is a pretty decent store with great prices, sometimes there you can find items you won't see at Walmart or even Super Lake.  Even our new and improved Surtidor that just opened up in Chapala about a month ago I think looks very nice, clean, and polished, albeit the selection could use some improvement.  But they definitely now have the space to do that by adding more ailes.

Where is Surtidor?

5 hours ago, johanson said:

Never do I have a problem. I park were I want, not where they point and say hello to them in Street Spanish should they approach me. Those of you who look and act nervous, seem to be the ones they approach.

Show them respect when you say no, and after a while they will learn not to bother you.

How do you say hello in street Spanish?

6 minutes ago, cedros said:

Where is Surtidor?

The new Surtidor is where the Surtiwash car wash place used to be, it is roughly across the street from the Muebles America store on Ave. Madero.  It is nice, new, and sparkling clean but my only complaint is, is that it has way too much space between the ails and a lot of empty poorly used space with a very small selection of goods available.  Hopefully, with time they will stock that place full of goods to sell by adding several more ails.  But, on a positive note, the new location has a lot of potential to become a successful great new addition in Chapala!

Just start in the Chapala plaza, walk up towards the bus station, a block or so before the bus station you will see Muebles America on the right hand side, look across the street until you see a large blue building (I think its blue) with the words Surtidor.  You shouldn't have a problem finding it at all!

As I posted earlier neither my wife nor I have had a problem. For the posters who say " I'm ok so it's your fault", I just can't think that way.

No one should be forced to change their shopping habits, worshipping habits, where they park or where they get their mail, because of fear their car will be damaged by two hooligans. It is just wrong. And for someone to suggest they should cower and give in is not a solution, nor is it right.

All I know is when they decide to damage my car I will find a solution in a way that these two will learn there are consequences.  ... all that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing ...

Guest bennie2

have no idea which is the right hand side or meubles cash wash. guess its not "meant to be".  if in chapala i do pickup some items here & there. i stand by my comment torittos IS filthy- & no i dont care about the reputation of the mex owners or their business. they dont care either! walmart is a downwardly mobile dump w/some whitecollar products like soymilk. i read they carry apple tech (?) which is interesting. (disclosure: i bought a cosmetic product there several times. after checking out 3 pharms, & several natural food stores walmart had what i wanted). 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

As I posted earlier neither my wife nor I have had a problem. For the posters who say " I'm ok so it's your fault", I just can't think that way.

No one should be forced to change their shopping habits, worshipping habits, where they park or where they get their mail, because of fear their car will be damaged by two hooligans. It is just wrong. And for someone to suggest they should cower and give in is not a solution, nor is it right.

All I know is when they decide to damage my car I will find a solution in a way that these two will learn there are consequences.  ... all that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing ...

Strongly agree. And I will say it again...ALL this nonsense from these two creeps, could end now, if the business owners wanted it to. It all comes down to respect, or the lack of it.

2 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

The new Surtidor is where the Surtiwash car wash place used to be, it is roughly across the street from the Muebles America store on Ave. Madero.  It is nice, new, and sparkling clean but my only complaint is, is that it has way too much space between the ails and a lot of empty poorly used space with a very small selection of goods available.  Hopefully, with time they will stock that place full of goods to sell by adding several more ails.  But, on a positive note, the new location has a lot of potential to become a successful great new addition in Chapala!

Surtidor on the carreterra in central Ajijic

is quite good both selection & price.

Guest bennie2

yes i use that one, mentioned that. i walk out w/eggs oliveoil papergoods breads cleaning supplies beans shampoo cremes there are 2 of them one block apart. mostlylost: you live in the world of "should"- i live in the world of reality. it is what it is. accept it or change the location. 

I left Ajijic 3 years ago. I moved there after living in GDL for 2 years. Yeah, that stuff seemed annoying to me too. I used to say ridiculous groceros that had a bit of shock value for them and comic entertainment for ME! I think they were amazed that some  old gringa could swear in Spanish like a bad

### pirate. Still, I always sort of avoided those areas. It was disappointing to become avoidant, because I'm not rich, and my shopping is a pleasure and an adventure. So I don't like to be messed with. I never had these problems in the city.

My fave response is that of rosfreed. Yup, if i ever move back there, Joco will be the place for me. 

7 hours ago, arv42 said:

How do you say hello in street Spanish?

It depends on how well you know them and whether they think you are being friendly. I wouldn't know how to spell Que Honda? and maybe Hasta rato Bato, Vato, or Naco or. etc etc

I know what to say and when. It depends who I am speaking to. But I sure can't spell or write  what to say in gangster Spanish.  I'm posting under my real name and although the picture is a few years old, but should  you see me, I would be happy to go with you to SuperLake.

Now THAT'S a really good idea. Get an advocate to go with you to superlake and train you how to deal with it. Obviously the problem still hasn't gone away and isn't likely to. Johanson, you may have a lucrative idea there. hahahaha. But really, he's saying as a community member he would help you with this. Great solution. Shows a positive sense of community.

8 hours ago, johanson said:

It depends on how well you know them and whether they think you are being friendly. I wouldn't know how to spell Que Honda? and maybe Hasta rato Bato, Vato, or Naco or. etc etc

I know what to say and when. It depends who I am speaking to. But I sure can't spell or write  what to say in gangster Spanish.  I'm posting under my real name and although the picture is a few years old, but should  you see me, I would be happy to go with you to SuperLake.

It is 'Que onda '...means what's up?

34 minutes ago, virgogirl said:

Now THAT'S a really good idea. Get an advocate to go with you to superlake and train you how to deal with it. Obviously the problem still hasn't gone away and isn't likely to. Johanson, you may have a lucrative idea there. hahahaha. But really, he's saying as a community member he would help you with this. Great solution. Shows a positive sense of community.

I take it you are joking?! If we feel that we need advocates to accompany us shopping, well...I don't even know what to say.

Guest bennie2

saturn, all this just adds to the excitement & cultural enrichment. peter an arrange tours. next they will take up a collection for the windshield man. since there are several shopping options available, why would anyone subject themselves to this abuse? 

Archived