Chapala.com Webboard

Aggressive people outside of Superlake and iShop.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

It's considered a lateral? Wouldn't that mean that the whole series of strips along that side, and maybe the other, are too?

They are all laterals therefore public not private and one way also. So no driving against the traffic.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes these two have been a problem for years. yes a polite no gracias has worked for me for years. But, I am not a female, whom they work harder to intimidate. The next time I'm in I wear my municipal ID and speak to pancho. Quantity of complaints to him will get the most results

I am glad to see the above threat deleted. I was just going to copy it to the City Attorney as an example of the intimidation that exists within our own community. I am seeing this as a growing problem that interferes with our ability to address our own quality of life. Over and over the authorities have assured me that they welcome input and involvement from the expat community; as recently as yesterday during discussion with Ajijic Delegado Chuni Medeles. The fear mongers in this community do all of us a great disservice!

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It's considered a lateral? Wouldn't that mean that the whole series of strips along that side, and maybe the other, are too?

It is a lateral, as is the strip opposite, along any highway in Mexico. That is a fact that does prevent individual business owners from having any control over activities in those public thoroughfares. So, you must look out for yourselves. It is also true that the police must actually see a crime being committed. Othewise, they cannot act.  It seems that the only recourse for an individual is to use a camera and try to record wipers being damaged, or a car being keyed; along with having a few witnesses willing to accompany you to the Ministerio Publico with the evidence. That, along with their testimony AND the names of the miscreants, might possibly elicit an “investigation“, which would probably end up in “file 13“.

Guest bennie2

harry, you did the right thing. i myself have called PD/floresta patrol (not internet related) w/results may i add. btw, poncho can get rid of those people if he wants too. 75-100 people sign a petition in spanish saying they will not shop there, problem solved. 

Maybe its time for the businesses there to share the costs for a uniformed private security guard - just like many of the successful businesses in this area do. Don't let them have rifles, too intimidating for Canadians, just a baton, and the ability to cast a stone cold warning look. Throwing "shade", they call it these days.

I had a problem with the wiper guy a few years ago.  I tried being nice and when that didn't work, I explained if he touched my car again, he would require a proctologist to get his wipers back.  He avoids me now.  But I stand 6'2" and weight 240 also.

I am with the camp that treats them nicely and as such, I have no problems with them. The only one that is somewhat of a problem is Tony, the heavy set kid that has stuff that will take the haze off headlight enclosures. But he speaks English and you just have to decline his offer of service. The other car washers are helpful to some of the old folks, carrying stuff for them, etc. No need to be mean. 

Tonio is the kid who is constantly rubbing steel wool on headlights. I've known him, as have many others, for years, back when he was a skinny little kid. I used to give him pesos and buy him cokes, but he grew into an annoying little pratt. Especially when he started damaging vehicles on purpose.

You can buff your headlights out with whitening toothpaste, which has an even finer grit than the touch-up buffing compound that auto stores sell. But the good news is, the haze does not affect your headlight's strength or usefulness. In fact, it probably filters out the harsh glare that is so annoying with many headlights these days.

I saw the wiper guy in the parking lot at the Tuesday market yesterday.  He approached one woman abou wipers and she, obviously knowing his MO, said, "No, no and NO!"  I think the people organizing the market should ban him from their parking lot give how many of us feel about him.

As long as business is bustling (and it always is in that center) why should business owners install cameras, hire security guards, or try to run off people they have no legal right to run off? Obviously, there are many people who are managing to deal with the situation to their satisfaction. If you are intimidated or afraid, if going there makes you angry or ruins your day, the answer is very simple. Do not shop there. There is nothing in that center you can not either get somewhere else or do without.

Now, I never said they should be run off, but if cameras were to be installed, these lavacarros would think twice before damaging someones vehicle.  I'm also of the camp that believes speaking to them and always being nice and friendly with them goes a long way with ensuring the safety of your vehicle.  You act like a jerk with them, your vehicle may have to pay for it, unfortunately.  Este mundo no es justo!  Life ain't fair.

Beg to differ Xena. Many people use Handymail, or Ishop mail to receive their mail from up north. They have no choice but to use these areas to park. Also there is a church that people attend, that uses the same parking area. 

Many people have been damaged by these two. To allow such bad behaviour to continue is to encourage others to do the same. A person should not have to "make nice" with a hooligan in order to not have their car damaged. It is similar to paying the mob for "protection" albeit on a smaller scale. 

Neither I or my wife have had a problem with them, but I can understand how those that have had a problem feel. They shouldn't have to be afraid to park for fear of damage to their car. 

I have no problem with people making a living, or vendors on the street. I do have a problem with people who create their own work by damaging others property.

Guest bennie2

what will cameras do? the person wont be in jail, they will come back. then poncho or a manager will just have to go out & tell them to leave. poncho should be handling it as much as he can right now. you cant sue the windshield man. do you want to retire to a place where you have to "carry a taser"?? does that make you feel tough rough & cool? shop somewhere else, discontinue "i shop". i dont drive so im useless to these people, they dont bother me. i never ever had any of the popular expat problems. matter of fact as i have said, their workshift ends before 5pm. (hint). i go, buy what i need call a cab go home. what is the big deal??? 

Mostlylost, I am talking about the SuperLake center, not the ones east of it. Still, there are other mail service places and other churches. Again, the church or the mail service places or hardware store would install cameras if they were losing business. Apparently they are not, so they do not spend the money. Yes, it is unfortunate that life is the way it is and we must share space with those who do not play by the rules. but, we do and work around it as best we can. 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Beg to differ Xena. Many people use Handymail, or Ishop mail to receive their mail from up north. They have no choice but to use these areas to park. Also there is a church that people attend, that uses the same parking area. 

Many people have been damaged by these two. To allow such bad behaviour to continue is to encourage others to do the same. A person should not have to "make nice" with a hooligan in order to not have their car damaged. It is similar to paying the mob for "protection" albeit on a smaller scale. 

Neither I or my wife have had a problem with them, but I can understand how those that have had a problem feel. They shouldn't have to be afraid to park for fear of damage to their car. 

I have no problem with people making a living, or vendors on the street. I do have a problem with people who create their own work by damaging others property.

Agree! Why do we have to be intimidated? And accept it...to have to think of various 'strategies' like whether to be tough or nice, someone wait in the car, park across the street, go at a particular time, not shop there, etc., etc.? just to get some groceries or mail. 

Archived