Chapala.com Webboard

Flying with vitamins?

I think you would be wise to carry them in their original packaging. You must do that with prescription meds, plus have the prescription with you. Vitamins and supplements are OK, but should be identifiable in case of inspection.

No problemo!

Ha ha...

I actually had my sister bring several months supply and all types of items.  

Dog supples, sups, skin care items.  She does that for me every time she visits.

This time they actually looked at the suitcase (yup she brings me a whole suitcase of stuff) and the waved it on by.

Always goes in a check in luggage.  She brings stuff we haven't requested... food items.. wow.. I would have not brought in.

Brought my husband tastykake pies.  I still have the KandyKakes in the freezer for when I am recovered from recent stomach hit.

She also has brought all types of food and even a (she keeps kosher) Birthday cake for me last time.  Threw in some lox and frozen bagels and bialys... Never would have asked her to bring those.. lol

They looked at the cooler package and asked what's in there... she said dry ice with a frozen cake etc... 

Waved her right on through!

If she can bring all that through, and they saw all of it... I'd say your's is a breeze!

Lived here 7 years and between my husband and I we make at least 7-8 trips to the U.S. per year. Usually bring back 2 suitcases with everything imaginable and get the red light at least 25% of the time. Only thing ever confiscated was then1/2 of a turkey sandwich in my carry on that I forgot was in there. 

4 minutes ago, Lulugirl said:

It doesn't mean the next person will get a different person & have a totally different outcome.

True in the case of many foods being brought in, maybe not... 

but thus far 3 visits, brought two reviews, and she had so many food items... and both of the two waved in.

Back to the two weeks of vites... nada compared to that load!

My suitcase looks mild compared to a cooler chest with items packed in dry ice.

I was initially told that the customs officials look for items that are more than three of a kind, and in packaging. Maybe they are thinking you want to open a retail vite shop eh?  lol

As was already said it is best if all drugs (prescription or not) remain in their original container.  I had one friend who dumped multiple tablets and capsules into a zip lock bag.  She will never do that again. 

I carry essential drugs with me in my carry on in case the checked luggage goes elsewhere.  The other drugs, in their original packages, are placed in a large zip lock bag and placed on top of my clothes in the suitcase. 

In February when flying back from Ecuador I was pulled from the gate by the police and asked if they could search my suitcase.  I went with them.  They had my suitcase which I opened for them.  On top was the zip lock bag.  He picked it up and did not even give it a second glance, but he did thoroughly search my suitcase (including inside the lining).

I have traveled with 2 weeks worth of vitamins, cancer drugs, sleeping pills so on, in a 2 week pill container, never an issue other  questioned one time what the drugs were.  If you are concerned over losing and feel nervous best to keep in original bottle or box etc.  Then you are assured of no issue! 

We travel back and forth 3-4 times a year.  My friend takes up to 6 tabs of a decongestant, phenylpropanolamine, daily so we bring back up to 20 boxes of 72 of this med each time.  It is a small red pill that resembles Sudafed.  A Canadian woman was arrested in PV for having 8 Sudafeds in her purse this winter as she and most folks don't know that even one pill of Sudafed is illegal in Mexico.  (It's used in the manufacture of crystal meth.)  He used to punch the pills out of the foil and bring them down in a ziplock bag with one box left intact to identify the med.  After this woman's experience we now bring these down totally intact in all of their packaging!  We also now do this with all of his other vitamin supplements even though the packaging takes up extra space.

Another friend brings down anti-anxiety meds and occasionally a bottle of Vicodin for his back.  I've advised him to always make a copy of the prescription before he turns it in for filling so he can bring it with these meds.  I've never seen a problem with bringing in other "prescription" meds from the US/Canada that aren't sold with a prescription in Mexico.  My friend carries the refill receipts which match with the bottles' labels just in case.  

I've read of two incidents on Facebook where US residents were arrested arriving in Mexico City for [1] carrying in a box of urinary self catheters for an MS patient who was a friend...something you could buy in Mexico without a prescription but it was deemed a "medical device" and the customs person flew into action.  And [2] another person was arrested for carrying in non-narcotic US prescription meds for a friend who got them through mail order to a US address like most of us do on pharmacy plans with Medicare.  I have done the same thing a few times through Guad and one time got the red light.  She looked at the bottles briefly and I don't think it even registered that the names were different in the mixture.  I think she was looking for Vicodin, Percocet, OxyContin, etc.  although I'm not sure how they're trained and how many different controlled substance names they've memorized.

As a a result of the above incidents I've stopped bringing other people's meds in with me although many friends here still do this favor and no one has been arrested.  However it just takes one new supervisor who decides to impose the rule more strictly!

Archived