Chapala.com Webboard

Vintage automobile

As part of considering a move to Chapala/Ajijic I am looking into the possibilities of bringing a collector car with me. It's a restored 1937 Ford Tudor. It would obviously need to be shipped in an enclosed trailer from Central California. Has anyone done here done this kind of thing? What type of resident status would I need in order to not have to move the car back and forth to the US for permit requirements? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Saturn said:

Are you planning on actually driving it around here? The roads, weather, are pretty hard on a car here. Not to mention that you will really stand out. Not something you may want to do here.

If I bring it will be a "Sunday" driver only. Standing out and becoming a bit of a target is on my mind as well. Getting a place with a very secure garage also. As far as rough roads, these old cars are pretty tough compared to today's vehicles.

Happy to hear you are thinking this way. Never mind the damage to your car from the road conditions, flying gravel, whatever. You don't want to be obvious to either the cops, or other drivers with not so good ideas in their heads. Listen to your gut. 

There are at least two vintage auto clubs in Guadalajara. Learn Spanish, make some new friends.

https://www.facebook.com/autoclubclasicosguadalajara/

http://www.federacionautosantiguos.org.mx/

The bad guys aren't looking for vintage cars. Because old fashioned, hand done, paint and body work is done so cheaply here - it might be worthwhile to bring down a project car instead. Here, you can afford for someone to do the work. A good thing for old bones.

37 minutes ago, Semalu said:

Ignore the nay sayers. There are lots of vintage car clubs in Mexico, google "club de carros clasicos en mexico". You may even want to look into the Panamerican car rally - classic cars only need apply.

If you speak Spanish, maybe start here:

http://www.federacionautosantiguos.org.mx/

If you do not have spanish this will be  good time to start that too!

photo%206_zpsssyohkm0.jpg

Thanks Semalu, I need to find some local gear heads I guess. My Spanish is more Spanglish but I can get by and should be able to get reasonably conversational after a little immersion.

The Guad club consists mostly of american made vintage cars. They meet weekly - too late for me. They'd love your car! I have two english sportscars. One nationalized at the border (Laredo) and one with US plates. A friend has a beautiful model T with the most amazing paint job he did himself . We use them in parades. There are weekend car shows and mine are often used for weddings, anniversaries and quinceanerasas.

6 hours ago, lcscats said:

A 37 ford is a pretty tough vehicle. Bring her down.  I would love to see it on the street and in parades.  Is it an V8 Flathead??

Yes, it is the original 85HP V8 flathead. Finished doing a complete rebuild with new clutch, radiator, etc. a few months ago. Runs great. I stripped and recovered the running boards last week.

5 hours ago, HarryB said:

The Guad club consists mostly of american made vintage cars. They meet weekly - too late for me. They'd love your car! I have two english sportscars. One nationalized at the border (Laredo) and one with US plates. A friend has a beautiful model T with the most amazing paint job he did himself . We use them in parades. There are weekend car shows and mine are often used for weddings, anniversaries and quinceanerasas.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was an active vintage car contingent in Guadalajara after doing some internet searching. I found the Youtube videos of the annual car show in Chapala as well but mostly has to do with the road rockets with lethal sound systems and gullwing doors along with bikini contests. Not my genre. You have given me a bit of hope that I may not need to sell the 37 if we decide on a permanent move. 

Marisela Gomez 01-556-272-2728 ext. 7, 2, 2, 1, 1 .... will tell you how to nationalize.

Buen Fin

Sonia

I always wanted one of those cars; just as old as I am. I did have an older one, but sure had to be careful to take good care of the wooden spokes. No rust, though.

Actually, I'd think an antique like that might be safer here than a newer model.  If I were a chop shop, I'd never take it.  Who would buy the parts?  Give me a 3 year old Honda and I could sell the parts off in 24 hours.  Not a lot of call for a 1937 anything.

Taking it out in weekend traffic around here would be risky.  Too many crazy drivers here on the weekend.

17 hours ago, Lost Dog said:

Yes, it is the original 85HP V8 flathead. Finished doing a complete rebuild with new clutch, radiator, etc. a few months ago. Runs great. I stripped and recovered the running boards last week.

You will regret it if you don't bring it down.  I hope you put a dual exhaust on it.  Nothing like the sound of an Ford Flathead V8 thru duals.   I could just stand all day and listen to it idle.  If you can't bring it down put it in storage til you can.  What a great car!   Probably suggest putting a sun windshield over the windshield to keep it cool in the sun. Mexican metal workers can make you one as I doubt if the whitney catalog has one :-).   Bring down a couple of small 6 volt fans for the car to move air around.  The car club folks in Chapala (or anywhere ) would love to see your car even if they choose a different style of car. 

Good Luck!!    I go for a ride anytime!

Archived