Chapala.com Webboard

Selling, Scraping, Donating Foreign Plated Car

Sonia

Selling, scrapping, donating can be clarified by calling Marisela Gomez 01-556-272-2728 ext. 7, 2, 2, 1, 1 as I have done.       

Can you sell a foreign plated car in Mexico? NO   

Can a foreign plated car be donated to Aduana? NO                 

If a car is unable to be driven can it be left in Mexico? NO it must be towed to border.      

Can a foreign plated car be scrapped in Mexico? Only at these locations and you pay the cost:

http://www.sat.gob.mx/terceros_autorizados/centros_destruccion/Paginas/centros_destruccion_vehiculos.aspx                                                                                       

Once scrapped you then deliver proof of the vehicle being destroyed as per page 56, anexo 5 as found here:      

http://www.sat.gob.mx/informacion_fiscal/normatividad/Documents/manual_importacion_vehiculos.pdf

This will allow you to bring in another vehicle after removing the scrapped vehicle from Aduana's database and possibly protect deposit. Or, as noted tow it out. 

This issue and more are on my web site.

saludos

Sonia

I have never encountered a government agency which is so disconnected with reality of the people.

Is Marisela Gomez going to travel to the numerous scrapyards of Guadalajara, spotting "suspicious" vehicles, which may or not have been foreign plated. Then digging through the oil and muck, to get a V.I.N. number. Even if she does get a name and number for someone who abandoned and scrapped a vehicle - the fine is forfeiture of the TIP deposit.

Another telling fact - there are no government mandated "scrapping" stations in all of Jalisco.

If a vehicle were to be successfully scrapped, I have no idea how it could ever be removed from the Banjercito computer system. So, not only would the owner be unable to bring a replacement into Mexico, he might be liable for fines and taxes or duty on the scrapped vehicle, possibly based upon its value at the time of the temporary importation, which does forbid selling any or all of the vehicle in Mexico and requires that it eventually be removed from the country.  There appear to be no exceptions, no excuses.

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

If a vehicle were to be successfully scrapped, I have no idea how it could ever be removed from the Banjercito computer system. So, not only would the owner be unable to bring a replacement into Mexico, he might be liable for fines and taxes or duty on the scrapped vehicle, possibly based upon its value at the time of the temporary importation, which does forbid selling any or all of the vehicle in Mexico and requires that it eventually be removed from the country.  There appear to be no exceptions, no excuses.

My post states how one removes a vehicle from Aduana's database, once scrapped. If in doubt call.

Buen Fin

Sonia

On 6/11/2016 at 11:50 AM, sparks said:

Is the TIP tied to your Passport ?

Banjercito uses a database to log & track our TIPs.

One of the fields in the database is the vehicle owner's passport.

There are also fields for the vehicle VIN, our INM ID numbers, our names, etc.

This means that the TIP is really not 'tied' to your passport number, but Banjercito clerks (and Aduana) can easily search their database using your INM information,  or your name, or the VIN, or your passport.

A few Mexican Consulates have checked resident visa applicants INM & Aduana records, to see if they have outstanding TIPs or outstanding INM violations ... but those checks are not uniform & are not mandatory.

Still, it makes sense to get rid of old TIPs, to avoid future INM, Consulate, or SAT/Aduana hassles.

3 hours ago, snowyco said:

A few Mexican Consulates have checked resident visa applicants INM & Aduana records, to see if they have outstanding TIPs or outstanding INM violations ... but those checks are not uniform & are not mandatory.

And how on God's Sweet Earth would you be privy to such information!?!??!

5 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

And how on God's Sweet Earth would you be privy to such information!?!??!

Simple.
I have friends.

I listen to people.

When we have friends, who have experiences,  we learn from their experiences.

When we listen to people, we learn from their experiences.

The Mexican Consulate in Dallas, for example, received the residency visa applications of some of our friends.   When the Consulate employees checked these friend's Aduana/Banjercito database records and found an old moldy TIP from on their previous Visitor Visa visit,  the Consul rejected their Residente Temporal application.

They were told they had to clear the old TIP with Aduana first,  then re-apply at a Mexican Consulate for their RT visas.

• 2 weeks later...

When I left Ajijic in 2013, I sold my TIP vehicle on a "carta responsiva" to an attorney and his family. I realized at the time that this paperwork is not worth the bomb to blow it up with, but I DID sell it for 1000USD. It needed too much repair for me to cover in order to drive it back. I had to get back for a family crisis.

I realize that now i couldn't drive in another vehicle to the mainland because that sticker was never removed. I have thought of testing the idea when I get closer to returning(mainland mexico) whether I could show the carta responsiva paperwork at the border(Palomas/Columbus or Santa Teresa), pay a mordida (i'm not a fan of that, don't get me wrong) and see if I could manage a cancellation and another TIP. Pretty much predicting that it won't be possible, I've been exploring retiring in the free zone.(Puerto Penasco/Baja) I wasn't aware that if i was to apply for another green card, i may be flagged as having a moldy TIP in the system, and so then would have to operate under FMMs, and go car free. 

Could I purchase a mexican plated car once over the border, operate exclusively on FMMs and avoid the moldy Tip confrontation??? what do you think?

No TIP required or asked for in the Baja free zone. Its a shame if you feel you have to to relocate to an area of Mexico because of a stupid car. Before you make your big decision, you mention that this is in the future, you might want to read this article in The Economist, about how Mexico is greatly expanding its free trade zones. Note also the already existing free zone on the Southern Mexico border. I get the impression that Chiapas is an entirely different world than Ajijic or Guadalajara.

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21701134-free-trade-areas-aim-boost-growth-impoverished-south-how-bottom-half

Mexico needs to send a trade delegation to Western Europe trying to entice industry to Mexico. Mexico (mostly DF) enjoyed a wave of European immigration after WW2. Many industrialists shipped their out of date machinery to Mexico, and rebuilt their European factories with the new stuff. The low labor rate in Mexico, made up for the use of old equipment.

3 hours ago, virgogirl said:

When I left Ajijic in 2013, I sold my TIP vehicle on a "carta responsiva" to an attorney and his family. I realized at the time that this paperwork is not worth the bomb to blow it up with, but I DID sell it for 1000USD. It needed too much repair for me to cover in order to drive it back. I had to get back for a family crisis.

I realize that now i couldn't drive in another vehicle to the mainland because that sticker was never removed. I have thought of testing the idea when I get closer to returning(mainland mexico) whether I could show the carta responsiva paperwork at the border(Palomas/Columbus or Santa Teresa), pay a mordida (i'm not a fan of that, don't get me wrong) and see if I could manage a cancellation and another TIP. Pretty much predicting that it won't be possible, I've been exploring retiring in the free zone.(Puerto Penasco/Baja) I wasn't aware that if i was to apply for another green card, i may be flagged as having a moldy TIP in the system, and so then would have to operate under FMMs, and go car free. 

Could I purchase a mexican plated car once over the border, operate exclusively on FMMs and avoid the moldy Tip confrontation??? what do you think?

Aduana only cares that when you got your original TIP you promised to return the car to the border.  If your TIP was several years ago, it might be tied to your passport;  get a new passport and bring in another car.  When did you get your TIP and what kind of visa did last have?

Thanks Chillin. I know about the free zone being free of car permits.etc. I may check out Puerto Penasco next time I can make a trek. Bottom of BAJA not for me. Checked out Todos santos and la Paz, but it didn't sing my song. I may check out other places on the Baja because I am rathar fascinated with the Sea of Cortez. It might be like "how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they seen Jalisco" if you know the song. 

I will read the article. I have worked in a few of those multinational corporations teaching English. Sanmina and Honda. I just loved it.

YO

I came in to GDL from New Mexico in January 2011 on FMM. Got green card/Residente Temporal later that year. Had an extension due to changing representative schools.Renewed Residente/green card without problems the floowing year 2012. Renewed Passport May 2012 in Mexico through Consulate in GDL. I just looked. The new Passport has a different number. Maybe I'm off the hook. Is there anyone you can hire to see if anything is hanging in the system?

I wonder if that lawyer i sold the car to did anything to "legalize" the car I sold him that would've gotten me cleared. I can't imagine he'd be able or even want to Mexican Plate it. It was a 1997 Legacy Outback Subaru. Not highway worthy anymore but great for puttering a bunch of little kids around which is why he wanted the big ole station wagon.

Archived