Chapala.com Webboard

New Mariscos el Carnal

shirlppt

We have just returned from dinner at the new Mariscos el carnal.  It is located just before Sunrise and across the street from the Corona store.

its open 11-7 every day.  Their restaurant is strictly seafood.  We shared an order of brochettes of Shrimp, Marlin, and bacon with onion, tomatoes, peppers, plantains.   It was served on a platter with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and rice.  We each ordered cold seafood soup.  We chose scallops and shrimp.  The soup comes in three sizes and the large could be a meal in itself.  The main Course was served with mango sauce, tartar sauce, hot sauce and garlic toast on the side.  It was very good.  The service was very fast and friendly.  Some of the waiters spoke little English, but there was one waiter who was fluent.  They spent time explaining each item to us and brought us samples when we didn't understand.  We spoke to the boss thru the English speaking water and he explained that this restaurant (chain) has been around for forty years.  I didn't think to ask if it was all over Jalisco or all of Mexico.  I had coke, my husband had a beer.  Our bill was $400 pesos, but there was a lot of,seafood, especially in the soup.

We would recommend it, especially if you are a seafood lover.  We're originally from Minnesota, so we are still working to acquire a love of seafood, but this was good.

Did you read the 9 posts on this place before posting?   Would have been nice to see it together as your perspective may have been interesting applied to the negative comments there.   For me, way above my pay grade, 33 pesos for a coke at a place without ambience is not my go to choice!

13 hours ago, shirlppt said:

We have just returned from dinner at the new Mariscos el carnal.  It is located just before Sunrise and across the street from the Corona store.

its open 11-7 every day.  Their restaurant is strictly seafood.  We shared an order of brochettes of Shrimp, Marlin, and bacon with onion, tomatoes, peppers, plantains.   It was served on a platter with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and rice.  We each ordered cold seafood soup.  We chose scallops and shrimp.  The soup comes in three sizes and the large could be a meal in itself.  The main Course was served with mango sauce, tartar sauce, hot sauce and garlic toast on the side.  It was very good.  The service was very fast and friendly.  Some of the waiters spoke little English, but there was one waiter who was fluent.  They spent time explaining each item to us and brought us samples when we didn't understand.  We spoke to the boss thru the English speaking water and he explained that this restaurant (chain) has been around for forty years.  I didn't think to ask if it was all over Jalisco or all of Mexico.  I had coke, my husband had a beer.  Our bill was $400 pesos, but there was a lot of,seafood, especially in the soup.

We would recommend it, especially if you are a seafood lover.  We're originally from Minnesota, so we are still working to acquire a love of seafood, but this was good.

It's always good to broaden our eating horizons!  Congratulations on having a seafood meal, and good for you for enjoying it.  Another time, go to a different restaurant and try a Mexican-style shrimp cocktail.  They're simply wonderful, and there's nothing like them back home.

Who on the board can recommend the best one at Lakeside?  Let's get these newcomers off to the best seafood Mexico can offer. 

The "fish lady" on Revolution, across from Salvador's in Bugambillias Plaza, has excellent shrimp cocktail as well as delicious ceviche. It is just a stand, not a restaurant with four walls, but very good and fresh. She has been there thirty years or more.

Well, el Cartero.....first, excuse me for not paging down far enough to see that something had already been posted.  We are all adults here, aren't we?  Snarky remarks aren't called for just because you disagree with my point of view.  That being said, we enjoy trying new restaurants and food outside our comfort zone, we believe that is part of the experience of living here.We also base our experience on multiple things, cost being just one of them.  Because you are on a budget, doesn't mean others rule out a restaurant.  I agree, their prices were high.  Please don't respond back to me.

More Liana, thank you for your kind remarks.  They are always appreciated.

21 minutes ago, shirlppt said:

Well, el Cartero.....first, excuse me for not paging down far enough to see that something had already been posted.  We are all adults here, aren't we?  Snarky remarks aren't called for just because you disagree with my point of view.  That being said, we enjoy trying new restaurants and food outside our comfort zone, we believe that is part of the experience of living here.We also base our experience on multiple things, cost being just one of them.  Because you are on a budget, doesn't mean others rule out a restaurant.  I agree, their prices were high.  Please don't respond back to me.

More Liana, thank you for your kind remarks.  They are always appreciated.

Sometimes we read a post and make assumptions that don't line up with what was actually said. Cartero's comments did not suggest he was on a budget and couldn't afford the prices.  It was pretty clear that he thought the prices weren't justified. There are restaurants here at which I can afford to eat , but whose prices are way out of line to the value of what is served.  One highly touted place, dripping with ambiance, offered a "special" 99 peso lunch.  I went with a group; first visit.  Ordered the 3 chicken tacos.  They turned out to be bite sized; no sides and lacking any evidence of chicken.  You can't eat ambiance, though it's nice when it exists in a place that also has good food and service.  

I probably won't be trying the new seafood place because of its unfortunate below-the-road location, if nothing else.  Maybe that's just me, but I prefer dining at Tabarka with its garden setting and fresh air.  If you want to have some really fresh seafood, David, the owner/ chef, has the best.

16 hours ago, el bartman said:

Well said Gringal, a voice of reason.   I saw nothing in the post shirlpt complains about to raise such a rude response.  Too, far better places to get good sea food.   

Thanks for the compliment.  The "snark" impulse should probably be subject to a "delay" feature similar to the "breathalizer" attachment which locks the "send" button until the sender either sobers up or the snarker's better angels emerge.:rolleyes:

Archived