Chapala.com Webboard

Laredo to Ajijic - which road to take

Looking at Google maps, it appears we have a choice of taking Mexico 54 or Mexico 57 from Laredo to Ajijic. Both shown as toll roads and only a 30 minute difference in drive time. We plan to stop overnight en route (either Zacateras or San Luis Potosi) to break up the drive. Can anyone share their experiences / recommendations on which is the better route to take and places we might stay at?

Do the San Luis Potosi route. You have to go thru Lagos de Moreno on this one but it is way easier to get thru there than to get thru Aguascalienta on the Zacatecas route. As you are on the Quota bypassing Monterrey you will see an exit for Matehuala Libre. Take that, you will exit right and go down and under the Quota you were just on. Free road for about 15K then Quota again. 

We just did this last month, taking the Columbia Bridge crossing N of Laredo. It opens at 8am and we got there about 5 to 8 and only 3 cars in line. Quick and easy. We were in Ajijic by 7:30pm.

Everyone has their favorite route and will argue with anyone that disagrees. Check the volumes of prior posts on this subject.

From Texas there are really only 3 choices, 2 from Laredo and one from Pharr/McAllen at Reynosa. From Laredo you need to go by Monterrey and make a decision at Saltillo for the remainder. As stated you can get on 57 through Matehuala to SLP and then to Lagos de Moreno. You can also continue west around Saltillo and then take the new westside cuota connecting with 54, bypassing Zacatecas by taking 45D through Aguascalientes.

If you want to stop in Mexico you really only have Monterrey, Saltillo, Ciudad de Victoria (Pharr route), Matehuala, SLP and possibly Zacatecas as destinations. Route 54/45D bypasses Zacatecas so it would take time to backtrack but it is a beautiful city worth of an extended visit.

Aguascalientes can be somewhat intimidating on the first drive but it is really not that bad. Perhaps that's why many insist the hwy 57 route is better.

I personally like the 54/45D route because it feels less stressful to me than the other routes. Since I drive to Dallas I return southbound to Saltillo and then the remainder on day 2.

I drive that/those routes seemingly every few months. (John, depending on your Texas destination in that area, there is another 4th route that comes out at Eagle Pass, but is only applicable if your Texas start/stop is east of a line from Dallas to San Antonio).

Although I usually do the Aguascalientes/Zacatecas route, I personally think the highway 57 route is better for 1st-timers or seldom-drivers. More toll cost but seemingly 'easier' to negotiate. YMMV

We liked the straight shot through Guadalajara, early in the mornings, and Rt. 54 straight north. It was toll-free and a pleasant drive; even before the road was widened. It avoids going through Aguascalientes and we were often able to drive quite fast.  Zacatecas is a good place to stop for the night, with Hotel del Bosque at the main highway intersection, or other hotels in the city itself being plentiful. There are small hotels and motels in the small towns south of Zacatecas, which we sometimes used on the southbound trip.

Archived