Chapala.com Webboard

Lagos de Moreno

Al Berca

There's a Spa/Hotel there called Hacienda Sepúlveda which looks quite popular on weekends and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor, but I've not visited there personally although I am curious about it. PS why did you blindfold your finger?

1 hour ago, jrod said:

PS why did you blindfold your finger?

:lol:

I've never visited there either but surely it has to be worth a day trip and/or a weekend. I've always been curious about it, too. I think the Chamber of Commerce types call it the "Athens of Mexico". Ha! Hope you report back. Regardless, have fun! 

I visited Lagos de Moreno mant years ago in the '70s. We were camping across Mexico. Lot of bromeliads growing in the trees. Pine forests... a beautiful lake. The sky turned rosy pink at nigh... it was spring and they were burning off the fields. Lots of Natures wonders to marvel at... enjoy.

3 hours ago, jrod said:

There's a Spa/Hotel there called Hacienda Sepúlveda which looks quite popular on weekends and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor, but I've not visited there personally although I am curious about it. PS why did you blindfold your finger?

That is funny! I "liked" it. Wanted to do it more than once.

I love Lagos. The people are so friendly, and a high proportion of the men, at least, are, or were, seasoned workers in the U.S.A. for many generations.There is a sort of prosperous, happy family feeling about the small, walled city, with many people who speak English or want to practice. You will have lots of guests if you sit in the main square, getting a shoe polish. If you have never visited a walled city, it is an unusual experience- the people definetly have a different attitude - a good thing. Sort of like visiting Europe - with a 75% discount card on everything and no tourists.

The only disadvantage is that the river dries up in the dry season. First are stinky pools of stagnant water, then when it has dried, the locals use the river bed as a short cut, creating lots of dust.

I suggest stopping at San Juan de los Lagos on the way to visit the basilica there.  Don't miss the room to the right of rhe alter and up some stairs which houses the gifts brought to the Virgin of San Juan de los Lagos.  The hand -painted ex-votos and notes left with the other gifts are very interesting to read.  

Lagos de Moreno is definitely worth a weekend visit.  It is considered by many as the nicest and prettiest colonial city in all of Jalisco.  The laid back thing is, is that there are not a lot of must see sights, the town itself IS THE SITE!  The major sites you should see are the Capuchin Monastery, Cathedral and plaza, the Calvario Church on the hill above the town to see great views of Lagos, the famous historic bridge and a beautiful park in front of the bridge.  The cemetery has a room with a hand full of mommies that may be viewed, I think you need to ask the care taker to let you in to see them.  The town has several nice colonial style hotels, check trip advisor for them.  A block from the plaza is a great dinner style restaurant which is probably the highest rated in town called the Rinconada.  Two blocks from the main plaza is another quaint little plaza that is worth checking out, I think it has a couple of restaurants that would probably be best suited for lunch.  If you want to check out an old hacienda that has been converted into a hotel and spa, head over to la Sepulveda.  Enjoy!

Oh btw if you want a great day trip, check out Atotonilco el Alto which is about 15 mins from Ocotlan, a very nice small town, considered part of the Highlands of Jalisco, and is surrounded by high mountains that you can take a drive up above the town and drive a long the road that goes around the town, gorgeous scenery and fantastic views of the town far below and they also have a lovely park with a river that runs through where people love to swim in it, its very neat to see, its not like any other park you can visit.

In my opinion Lagos will be better enjoyed with a two or three day visit to really appreciate the history of the town.

I suggest Atotonilco because nobody lakeside ever goes there, it is easy to get there without going near Gdl, just take that new road to Poncitlan, and on to Ocotlan, then Atotonilco is about 15 to 20 mins up the road from Ocotlan.  The mountain scenery is much nicer than what you will see on the terribly boring road to Lagos. First visit the town, walk around a bit, eat lunch, then drive to the Tareta Park passing by some old tequila distilleries and haciendas, spend some time in the park,  last thing, right outside the park is a road that puts you on the scenic highway that almost makes a ring around the town, you can drive up to the church on the mountain, take some pictures at the mirador there, go past that a couple miles up the highway to see the awesome scenery and views of the town, till you see the signs to Arandas, turn around and drive back to Chapala.  Make a quick run through on google earth before you go of course!  Have fun!

Here is probably the best youtube video I could find on the town, look for the park with the river through it in the video, its a very small but pretty cool park definitely worth a visit to get a healthy dose of greenery.

Archived