Chapala.com Webboard

Upright Barrel Smoker

Halfglass

Thought it would be fun to build a barrel smoker. I had a nice smoker in Washington but no room to bring it down, so after some research this is what I came up with.

Made from a 55gal drum it has three racks and three rods to hang sausages, bacon or a ham.

It is electronically controlled by a Auber Controls temperature control. It wil hold 200 deg all day. Makes some great pulled pork and  very nice ribs.

Had to show off.

1-DSCF5133-002.JPG

1-DSCF5134-001.JPG

1-DSCF5138-001.JPG

1-DSCF5140.JPG

Last year I brought down a 22 1/2" Weber Smoky Mountain smoker, used to be called Bullit's. So is yours electric to maintain that heat and 200 is a little low for most things, more like 250-275? Will it go higher?

The Weber Smokey Mountain is a fine unit.

This UDS (upright drum smoker) is charcoal, it has a large basket in the bottom, with the charcoal laid out in the ring of fire method. The Auber control has a temperature probe inside the cooker, you set the temperature you want and the controller will turn on the fresh air fan until the temperature reaches the set temp.  I have had the cooker all the way up to 400 deg. By the way Auber makes a control for the Weber Smokey Mountain also.

I have one in my Acorn Komodo cooker also. Best thing since sliced bread. DSCF4951.thumb.JPG.a88f2c34f72078b2c1543

DSCF5144.JPG

DSCF5145.JPG

Maybe meet and compare bbq notes? I have a 15# USDA Choice brisket (Costco at Galerias) that will be cooked July 4 along with 4-6 racks of spareribs (St Louis cut, also Costco). I will look up that temp control unit.

Wow brisket, I guess I have never seen one at Costco here. Love to do a brisket. Did you have to ask the butcher there or was it out in the case? Also love the ribs at Costco.

Maybe we should get together and compare notes. Also a member of Amazing Ribs, great ideas and recipes available. http://amazingribs.com/

Originally from Eastern Washington up in the Cascades.  Winthrop

The briskets I have seen are in the case with the other beef cuts in cryovac. Usually on Friday's and over the weekend. Other days if they aren't there, could ask them if they have some in back. Pecho Res al Vacio #520829

Archived