Chapala.com Webboard

how poisonous are oleanders?

We have huge oleanders in our yard in Tucson. The dogs are not at all interested in eating them, so they have to be trimmed now and then. They have been in full bloom for quite some while, but maybe the present triple digit temperatures will dry out the flowers this week.

I have 5 oleanders and my dogs have never been interested in eating them. The ants do though.

This kind of amusing. We watched one of those forensic shows and the wife killed the husband with tea made of oleander. I had no idea what it looked like. Then one week later we had someone come to trim the trees. He asked if we wanted the oleander trimmed?  It is a very big tree but so pretty. Fortunately my dogs are fussy eaters. But now spouse said he won't drink any home made ice tea..

1 hour ago, Willie said:

Oleander pollen is terrible for those with allergies!!!!  NEVER use those lovely straight stalks for roasting hot dogs or marshmallows.....

A number of years ago a whole troop of Boy Scouts in California got very ill by doing just that.

Oleander sap is poisoneous if cooked with a meal as in the case of several migrant workers in San Diego county using a stick of oleander to stir their soup and leaving the stick in the soup between stirs. They all died.

I have read reports in the equine press of an extremely sick-o disturbed person, who poisoned several of the horses in a racing stable by putting oleander trimmings in their mangers.  The horses died.  

I have some oleanders in my garden here but not anywhere near a pasture fence; and everyone who works or lives here knows that they are poisonous to the horses.  On the other hand, much as I love datura (I grew it every summer in my New Jersey garden), I do NOT have it here because the seeds travel, and I don't want any popping up in the pastures.

Sounds like dogs won't eat oleander?  So therefore not a problem for the OP?  

Thanks for this post... Oleander... Just happened to be the new plant that we purchased for the front yard!

One of my dogs, is a reincarnation of a goat... So a sniff here and interest in this plant is not going to be a good thing.

This post was just in time.  Up it goes into the (inaccessible)  rock garden... with all it's pretty little flowers.

Wonder what other plants in this area, are indeed poisonous?  

Interesting that ants eat this plant that is poisonous to other animals. Maybe some of the ants are killed by eating the leaves but I will never know.

Shakespeare said "Within the infant rind of this weak flower
Poison hath residence and medicine power"

unfortunately the flower, like the stems and twigs, is deadly.    Most dogs don't go around eating flowers; some breeds, like the Whippet have a proclivity towards them.    

Portimom- there is a plant, which can grow into a tree, which they call pencil tree- I don't know the latin name off-hand. Very cool-looking, but it has highly poisonous sap which will burn the skin and if rubbed in the eye, can cause blindness. It has thin stiff segments (no leaves, it's more like a succulent) which can be a temptation for kids to break off.

27 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Portimom- there is a plant, which can grow into a tree, which they call pencil tree- I don't know the latin name off-hand. Very cool-looking, but it has highly poisonous sap which will burn the skin and if rubbed in the eye, can cause blindness. It has thin stiff segments (no leaves, it's more like a succulent) which can be a temptation for kids to break off.

ah is that the same as a pencil cactus?  I know aloe and jade are toxic for pets.

I've also heard forever that chocolate is poison to dogs. Yet my daughter's two labs once ate an entire 100 piece box of expensive chocolates which she had forgetfully left on the coffee table before going out. They were definitely not feeling their best- sacked out on the couch just like we'd be after eating that many, but they certainly didn't have to be rushed to the vet.

A friend's border terrier ate most of a one-pound box of chocolates left on the kitchen counter. My friend came home to bloody diarrhea and vomit and a semi-conscious dog who did need to be rushed to the vet. It took a couple of days before they could say the dog would live. Some dogs have a greater sensitivity and, of course, the dog's size and weight are a factor. 

Archived