Chapala.com Webboard

WEA BLUE ANGLE/ BOOMERS Health Premium Increase with 11 DAYS NOTICE!!!

What started as a concern over premium increase, led to more information than I had expected.

Though high in premium increase, I was not aware that an insurance company must be registered in Mexico,

in order to guarantee those members in good standing (pay premiums, accurate medical history upon signing up) continued coverage.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just talked to a WEA rep and she said that they normally give a 60 day notice for changes to the policy but she didn't know for sure how group policies were handled - checking on it.    Also, she said that there is typically a 30 day grace period for paying the premium but didn't say whether or not group policies were different.

Bottom Line: Many reminders have come into my mail box for the renewal/cancel option.  Many 

members are having difficulty asking questions, as per the premium notices instructions (contact 

info@blueanglesolutions.com if we have questions) for writing to that email does not bring a response.  People are 

reporting to me, that when they get through to someone (on one occasion the person would not identify herself) the 

communication is evasive in regard to their questions.  Personality aside, if questions were answered, that would satisfy

most, but that is not the case, quite the contrary.  A simple email which was unprofessional, in response

to my emailed concerns.   Many are in agreement,  Blue Angle is done for.  

In a way it's good that our concerns were not addressed in a professional or prompt manner. 

Otherwise we would not have found out other facts (WEA & Doctors Insurance are not registered in Mexico).

Then where would we be 10-15 years from now!   Thank you for everyone who participated in this thread.  I have 

heard in PM's from those who have said it served them well, in making a decision.  

Members are welcome to contact me directly in the future (PM).  

Why leave WEA for Best Doctors if neither is registered in Mexico?  Or is it the premiums?  IMHO, WEA is a more comprehensive policy than Best Doctors and I will stay with them.  I have been looking for other companies and have only found expensive policies that have similar coverage to WEA with premiums being $4-6000US/year not counting the deductible.  BTW--I've talked to Vicky at Blue Angel and she seems to be OK.  It's Valerie that has the rude, condescending attitude that I think people are trying to get away from.

On 2016-06-04 at 8:15 PM, PORTIMOM said:

My premium increase notice arrived today, hiking the cost up $600.00 USD what it was last July/2015.

AND... the deductible up another $1000.00 over what it was last year.

AND.. (here is the icing on the cake... tadaaaaaa)  

The notice came in today to my email June 3rd.

Giving me notice that I must renew or cancel by June 15th, and submit a payment no later than June 24th,

a total of:

2016 Annual Premium:          $1940.51 USD

I just think that is terribly unethical.   Now I ask you, If you were not young and without health to go elsewhere, and the 

extra funds to push out, maybe you might have to let your insurance expire or beg of relatives?  Thankfully I 

am not in that position, but my heart goes out to those who are in that situation, and received this short notice.

I emailed Bellon Insurance, which comes highly recommended.  I asked how they handle their rate increases, 

and what type of notice they provide to customers, before the due date.  They not only responded quickly via 

email and then phone, but the response confirmed my thoughts:  Bellon provides 60 days notice for a rate 

increase.  I have my appointment with Bellon this week! 

Bellon still owes my wife $1000 for services she rendered. He's not as ethical as you think he is!!!!!

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

One thing is for sure. The short notice given made it impossible to get to another company in time. The only option was to go back to Best Doctors. I've decided to do that for 6 months, during which time I can escape from Blue Angel.

Blue Angel is not responsible for the short notices. They are at the mercy of the the insurance companies they represent. You could go to any agent who handles Best Doctors or WEA and the situation will be the same. Best Doctors is a very professional operation and Blue Angel has always maintained that. Boomers is the organization that is responsible for the exodus over to WEA not Blue Angel.

26 minutes ago, Chapalaman said:

Boomers is the organization that is responsible for the exodus over to WEA not Blue Angel.

How is Boomers responsible?  It seemed to me that WEA was a more comprehensive policy than BD last year.

The WEA representatives in other countries have told me this week that their premium increases were known 90 days ahead and that not notifying clients that the previous year premium was miscalculated is reason to change agencies.  WEA is available on the internet from several companies.  A personal policy is oftentimes less expensive than a group.  Since Boomers doesn't offer any agent handholding as a matter of course just buying off the rack seems just as good.

7 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Why leave WEA for Best Doctors if neither is registered in Mexico?  Or is it the premiums?  IMHO, WEA is a more comprehensive policy than Best Doctors and I will stay with them.  I have been looking for other companies and have only found expensive policies that have similar coverage to WEA with premiums being $4-6000US/year not counting the deductible.  BTW--I've talked to Vicky at Blue Angel and she seems to be OK.  It's Valerie that has the rude, condescending attitude that I think people are trying to get away from.

Valerie is under a lot of pressure because of a situation that was not created by her and Blue Angel Solutions. I know she is trying her very best to provide client satisfaction and to work out the best possible scenario for her customers.

If you're comparing the WEA group plan with the Best Doctors Group plan you're comparing apples with oranges. The Best Doctors plan is limited to catastrophic while WEA's plan is more comprehensive and the premiums reflect that reality. Best Doctors also provides individual plans that provide comprehensive coverage.  

Blue Angle representative phoned me today.  I appreciate her taking the time to phone. While I did not agree with the thinking or line of questioning presented to me on that phone call, If I were to give the benefit of the doubt...

What potentially happened is: 

WEA withheld information regarding the premium increase.  At least one of the agents is switching to Doctors.   WEA is unethical in not informing those agents, and goodness knows what else they have in mind for this WEA membership which agents at Blue Angle offer.  

So given the benefit of the doubt, let us assume the above.

Therefore: Yes, Valerie (and I am sure the others) are under stress regarding WEA's unethical actions. The agent I spoke with was not pleased with WEA and what had taken place.  I won't go deeper into that conversation, which went in hopeless circles at times.  

Advice: That agent suggested I go with an independent policy with WEA, given my age and health.  I explained, I would not go with an unethical provider who presents (as my husband terms) a bait & switch.  They are an experienced company and knew what they were doing when they offered that rate of approx $1,300 and then hiked it up to $1940. Knowing WEA lack of ethic and lacking registration in Mexico, why would I take a risk/policy with them?  So benefit of doubt in mind, they did not inform their agents either.

Concluding that phone call, I did suggest that it is time for Blue Angle to find a better option for these WEA members, and ditch WEA, before this unethical behavior repeats, with members of the WEA group policy incur higher rates and/or possibility of this group being dropped.  

38 minutes ago, Yo1 said:
39 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

How is Boomers responsible?  It seemed to me that WEA was a more comprehensive policy than BD last year.

That was last year. WEA may be the more comprehensive plan but as is being realized their plan could not be sustained at the premiums they started with. WEA made a mistake and they know it. Best Doctors is a catastrophic plan that is priced realistically and has increased premiums at a moderate rate each year. Individual comprehensive plans are available from Best Doctors.

Boomers sells memberships and aligns itself with insurance companies like WEA and Best Doctors and provides group coverage as a benefit to their members. Boomers needs an insurance agent like Blue Angel as a mediator between them and the Insurance company.

38 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

In all the talk about health insurance, I never see Plan Seguro (NOT Seguro Popular) mentioned. Does no one in Chapala area deal with this Mexican private insurance company? Have had insurance with them for 3 years, never had to use it so can't comment on how they come through. Got in before 64- my premium was 17,487 pesos last year with about a 20,200 deductible. All their info is in Spanish, so maybe that would put a lot of gringos off.

Late last year I went through the app process for Plan Seguro through Bellon.   However, at approval time they wanted to increase the premium by 50% over what Andre had quoted me only because I was taking the smallest dose of HCTZ,  a simple water pill.   Also, the doctor and staff for the pre-approval physical exam broke almost every rule regarding proper protocol for taking the blood pressure.    Had I known how incompetent the exam and insurance reviewing staffs were I would have taken control of the bp check and made them use the proper technique, and I might have been less forthcoming regarding insignificant details.    (Using proper technique my bp is 110/70)   

That experience made me very wary about future yearly increases I had heard about.    That was why I went with WEA.    Not so sure now --  just my experience.    

On 6/16/2016 at 10:40 AM, tbh said:

Late last year I went through the app process for Plan Seguro through Bellon.   However, at approval time they wanted to increase the premium by 50% over what Andre had quoted me only because I was taking the smallest dose of HCTZ,  a simple water pill.   Also, the doctor and staff for the pre-approval physical exam broke almost every rule regarding proper protocol for taking the blood pressure.    Had I known how incompetent the exam and insurance reviewing staffs were I would have taken control of the bp check and made them use proper technique, and I might have been less forthcoming regarding insignificant details.    (Using proper technique my bp is 110/70)   

That experience made me very wary about future yearly increases I had heard about.    That was why I went with WEA.    Not so sure now --  just my experience.    

Thanks for reply-I never had to take the physical cause I was under 64 when I first signed up with them. I hope the other doctors on their system are better then what you experienced at the pre-approval exam! Like i said,have so far not needed to use it.

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:19 AM, Yo1 said:

We live in world were companies do business all over, I even feel better knowing that WEA and Best Doctors are not registered in Mexico I believe this is a plus! As to Valerie she is ok got a lot on her shoulders and built a business from zero with Ava at Boomers, two ladies to be proud off and thanks to them they brought affordable insurance to expats.

27 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Best Doctors is worldwide.  WEA is Mexico only right?   This is one reason for us to stay on Doctors at least for us.

WEA will cover you worldwide.  Best Doctors will cover you worldwide.  WEA is also sold to people who live all over the world--many missionaries and people working elsewhere in the world than the US/Canada.

• 1 month later...

I dropped my WEA group policy for some of the reasons mentioned earlier.    Before joining the group I had looked at an individual policy with WEA and it seemed similar, but not identical, to the group policy at Lakeside, and now I'm looking at it again.   Every time I talk to WEA I get answers, and I always get a polite, informed person, and right away.    I spent an hour talking to WEA this morning via Chat and then on the phone.    It was interesting that the person I talked to knew all about the group here.

Some things to consider about the direct Individual plan:

It would be direct with WEA, no concern about the group
They have 3 plans; the Care plan seems similar to the group plan
The published premiums for the Care 2500 and 5000 deductibles are ~$2000 and $1800 resp.  (Male, 72, U.S. excl.)
Guaranteed renewal if in force by age 74
100% payment of fees; no co-pay except for emergency ($250)
WEA uses the AXA network for providers
Large policyholder pool

Still, as always, there are those dreaded unknown exclusions!

The link to the general coverage:
https://www.weadirect.com/signature/forms/WEA Brochure English Interactive.pdf

The link above is essentially what Portimom posted earlier but the display is different, less confusing regarding the U.S. numbers which don't apply here.

When I click on "get a quote" for their Care plan for a female of 66 yo, I get $3100 or $2700 for a yearly premium.  The biggest difference between and individual plan and a group plan is that all members of the group get the same premium.  With an individual plan, your age determines your annual premium.  So, for some, the individual plan would be cheaper, but not for me.

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

When I click on "get a quote" for their Care plan for a female of 66 yo, I get $3100 or $2700 for a yearly premium.  The biggest difference between and individual plan and a group plan is that all members of the group get the same premium.  With an individual plan, your age determines your annual premium.  So, for some, the individual plan would be cheaper, but not for me.

But at 72 I'm older than you,  and male, and you are supposed to out-live me so yours should be less expensive ... we are thinking.

(If you un-click the U.S. coverage box you will like the results much better.    That will match the group parameters more closely.)  

Archived