Chapala.com Webboard

WEA BLUE ANGLE/ BOOMERS Health Premium Increase with 11 DAYS NOTICE!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

This thread started out being about WEA's rate increase.  WEA premiums are paid in dollars through PayPal.

Yes, and more specifically the 600 USD increase/+1000 increase in deductible, and the very short notice in that increase 11 days to commit and an extra week beyond that to come up with that full payment.  Where as I found out, Bellon give 60 days notice.  I think for people who are retired, this is a financial strain they should have had a professional 60 days to prep for, if indeed they were stuck with that increase and cannot go elsewhere.   Ethically, the short notice is wrong.  It serves no member, but does serve the company.  If they knew in advance that there was a problem upcoming (and I hope they did now the details and were not blind until the last minute that they undercharged for 2015) they should have sent an email saying our rates are due to rise, by more than anticipated.  That way members would have been prepared.

Don't forget the $1500max 10% co-pay because the new policy only pays 90% for the first $15,000US

My question is:  did the company, WEA, withhold the info on the higher premiums on purpose in order to keep policyholders from having time to change insurers, OR did Blue Angel withhold the info until now?

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

Don't forget the $1500max 10% co-pay because the new policy only pays 90% for the first $15,000US

My question is:  did the company, WEA, withhold the info on the higher premiums on purpose in order to keep policyholders from having time to change insurers, OR did Blue Angel withhold the info until now?

Good question.  Unethical at any level, but good question.   A big corporation not notifying their agents... doubtful. 

One thing for sure, it tightened the time constraints for those who would need to shop.  Tell me either or both are not aware of that?

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:15 PM, PORTIMOM said:

IMAGINE MY SURPRISE...

My premium increase notice hiking the cost up $600.00 USD what it was last July/2015.

AND... the deductible up another $1000.00 over what it was last year.

AND.. (here is the icing on the cake... tadaaaaaa)  

The notice came in today to my email June 3rd.

Giving me notice that I must renew or cancel by June 15th, and submit a payment no later than June 24th,

a total of:

2016 Annual Premium:          $1940.51 USD

I just think that is terribly unethical.   Now I ask you, If you were not young and without health to go elsewhere, and the 

extra funds to push out, maybe you might have to let your insurance expire or beg of relatives?  Thankfully I 

am not in that position, but my heart goes out to those who are in that situation, and received this short notice.

I emailed Bellon Insurance, which comes highly recommended.  I asked how they handle their rate increases, 

and what type of notice they provide to customers, before the due date.  They not only responded quickly via 

email and then phone, but the response confirmed my thoughts:  Bellon provides 60 days notice for a rate 

increase.  I have my appointment with Bellon this week! 

Boomers admitted that the introductory should have been 1600US in hindsight their customers gained a smaller rate for the first 6 months. Think about the poor Canadians who will pay far more in CAD because of the unusual strength of the USD. Boomers and Blue Angels are great and the rates they negotiate superior to other insurers.

On 6/4/2016 at 10:07 PM, PORTIMOM said:

Agreed.  But for some, it is an economic strain and one that you should prepare for.  You don't want to read a letter saying that the incredibly low rate last year should have been 300 more.... and read on to hear that that equates to 600 increase this year... and then see an increase in the deductible of another 1,000 (That's right WEA'rs your deductible is now 3,500).  I can imagine what this will do to a tight budget, this increase and short notice combined. 

AND in addition to that $3,500 USD deductible, you also must pay 10% of the first $15,000 that is covered under the WEA policy.  So, that's another $1,500 USD out of pocket.

2 hours ago, joco69 said:

Boomers admitted that the introductory should have been 1600US in hindsight their customers gained a smaller rate for the first 6 months. Think about the poor Canadians who will pay far more in CAD because of the unusual strength of the USD. Boomers and Blue Angels are great and the rates they negotiate superior to other insurers.

I noticed THAT (above) in the increase letter, them telling us that the prices that we thought were unbelievably low, really were and I guess that is why we had to make up for that error this year?  Nice notice, not something you want to hear about with 11 days to spare in commitment time.  

Quite frankly, it is poor business sense to hold that under your hat till this late date.  So if they were 300 off in $ estimate, and undercharged us, that is a major mistake.  Furthermore, if that 1600 was the correct figure... That implies a 300 increase is the norm?  Yet others I have spoken to with bellon are reporting a lower percentage of increase than my goodness (let's take the low figure),.. 300.00 USD per year.  So yet another thing to wonder about, is that the acceptable increase from WEA/boomers?  

So it appears at the very least, the company that WEA is provided by in the BVI, starts you out low and then makes up for the low later by escalating the cost to make up for the low early pricing.  Slick and nasty business practice. 

Either way, appointment this week at Bellon.

1 hour ago, holdrja said:

AND in addition to that $3,500 USD deductible, you also must pay 10% of the first $15,000 that is covered under the WEA policy.  So, that's another $1,500 USD out of pocket.

Yes, and not good business sense, for this PARTNERSHIP that we enter with an insurance company, is suppose to provide you with less stress and peace of mind.

I also HAVE TO WONDER, after people sending me PM's about the level of service Bellon has provided them during a crisis (going to the hospital, making sure forms are filed) , if people have seen WEA's sign up reps at the hospital when they are in crisis.  Do they go that extra mile too?  Seems I may have missed a valuable element in my choice of insurance?   

I'm not particularly thrilled with Blue Angel.  I always feel they treat me condescendingly.  And when I originally wanted to see a copy of the policy, way back when, for Best Doctors, so I could look at the language and fine print, they said I would have to buy the insurance before anything more than a summary of benefits would be provided.  I had researched about 15 international medical insurances and everyone offered the policy on their website.  Not Blue Angel.

Always go with your gut feeling.  It will catch up with you.  I didn't and signed up for WEA/Blue Angel.  

I am only getting a good feeling with the contact I have made with Bellon thus far.   I really wish I had read into this more before signing up, but for me it is an error easily corrected. I certainly came here with a NOB mentality when it came to health insurance.  I am so accustomed to being left on my own to file claims, that I thought nothing of that impersonal element, and was not aware other insurance companies like Bellon go that extra mile in helping out.

I feel bad for those who are trapped with the short notice and like Yo 1 said, condescendence.  Everyone should feel good about their key providers of health insurance. 

If everything everyone is saying about Bellon is true, what an unexpected breath of fresh air, when you need it most.. during illness. 

Bellon will not only offer very helpful personal service he will be glad to go that extra mile. We even used one of the ladies in his office to house sit and she was better than anyone we have used in the past. Remember that he represents numerous companies so you are not locked into just one.

26 minutes ago, barbara habacht said:

Bellon will not only offer very helpful personal service he will be glad to go that extra mile. We even used one of the ladies in his office to house sit and she was better than anyone we have used in the past. Remember that he represents numerous companies so you are not locked into just one.

So good to hear this... Just from speaking with Bellon by phone, left a good feeling.  But thank you for this information, It is nice to hear another confirmation.

I had no idea an insurance agent would go that extra mile, or that it even existed.  I think we are predisposed to expect impersonal business type of health insurance where we jump the hoops, NOB.

This is a pleasant surprise and I hear Bellon certainly raises the bar.  

23 minutes ago, puro guero said:

WEA health insurance sold through Focus on Mexico, or Boomers, EXCLUDES coverage in the U.S.

Persons travelling to or through the U.S. need to acquire some alternate form of medical insurance.

Do any of the health insurance available here, extend to a visit to the US?

16 minutes ago, barbara habacht said:

I have used Met Life in the USA...for an accident

This is excellent to hear.  

I would love to n use Bellon but ayer speaking to Andre have found it to be impossible.   Apparently no Mexican company will take you if you have ever had cancer.   Not sure about other conditions because the cancer was a no starter for me.   Then I hope he could write a Best Doctors policy for me but,  again pre existing conditions precluded that even though I currently have a BD policy through a group. 

I'm staying with WEA even though the premiums are up far more than expected.  Being in a group will lower one's premiums over having a private policy written by ANY company.  I don't like Blue Angel and if I could transfer my group policy to another agent for WEA I would do it in a heartbeat.

Comparing something like Met Life to WEA or Best Doctors is apples and tortillas.  Yes, the service with Met Life is better, but it should be.  The cost is 7 times greater.

I went with Best Doctors because it was decent catastrophic coverage at a good price.  I'd had AXA for years with only one small claim and when I reached age 70 the $$ just didn't make sense to me.  I talked to Andre at Bellon and was very dissatisfied.  He plainly didn't want my business because of my age.  He showed me a copy of the policy but it was printed on 1/4 of a page in print so small it would have taken a microscope.  I asked him for something I could read and study and he refused.  I decided the tone of the relationship was set and went elsewhere.  

Bellon DOES have 2 plans that will take folks over 70...but you better be really healthy. Cancer and lung problems will scare away most companies. AND we were given a LARGE copy of our printed policy. If you approach any agent and you are suggesting you will or may become a difficult client then many of them will avoid you.

11 hours ago, nothernewbie said:

I would love to n use Bellon but ayer speaking to Andre have found it to be impossible.   Apparently no Mexican company will take you if you have ever had cancer.   Not sure about other conditions because the cancer was a no starter for me.   Then I hope he could write a Best Doctors policy for me but,  again pre existing conditions precluded that even though I currently have a BD policy through a group. 

My husband has his health insurance through Bellon, but due to a pre-existing condition (lung cancer) I could not get a policy with any of the companies he represents.  I am grateful to Boomers / Blue Angel who first got me coverage with Best Doctors, with an exclusion for lung cancer; and then (after 5 years of totally clean CAT scans), got me onto the WEA policy with no exclusions.  

I'm not at all happy about the increase in WEA premiums and deductible - I used to consider it a major medial coverage but now with those increased deductibles, it seems like catastrophic coverage only.  And, I miss having Bellon's customer service, they have an incredible reputation.  But, I am profoundly happy to have coverage, at least.

The answer is obvious, Blue Angel will not change, they do not answer emails for example - sent by policy holders. What has to happen is Andre of Bellon, and his very capable staff, should negotiate a WEA group policy. Something that also avoids the $60 U.S. annual membership for a pointless "group" we have absolutely zero interest in. Bellon would make a lot of money and provide an invaluable service, which he loves to do.

Archived