Chapala.com Webboard

American Flag

bigd

I´ve read a couple of times you can do that at your home or business etc. but cannot bring it out at public political demonstrations. Some large hotels have Mexican, USA, and Canadian flags flying. The largest Holiday Inn [SLP,SLP] here has all three on poles near their front entrance.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Is it lawful in Jalisco to display an American Flag on your home or during a holiday such as Memorial day or at a parade?

Just curious,why would you want to wave your American flag at a parade in Mexico??

I don't care much for Mexicans protesting in the US waving their flag,I would care even less for gringos or other extranjeros waving their flags here.

As a matter of fact I don't care much for flag wavers anywhere.

I've heard the same. Flying a flag is a sense of national pride whether it be Canadian, Mexican or American. And is a tradition that should continue. But as with anything. Laws will apply. There's a page of laws I never knew existed when flying or caring for an American flag. Btw. Kinda off topic but is gringo becoming more deragstory? Any opinions? 

Ley Sobre el Escudo, la Bandera y el Himno Nacionales

Chapter four

ARTICLE 24 . When a ceremony attend the National Flag and one or more flags of foreign countries, first they make the honors to the National and, immediately, the other, in the appropriate order.

The National Flag will occupy the place of honor when present one or more foreign flags.

30 minutes ago, Bajabrady said:

Btw. Kinda off topic but is gringo becoming more deragstory? Any opinions? 

I don't find it deragatory,unless it's preceded by pinche,I'm sure some will disagree,it's just my opinion.

Several Mexicans I know tell me they use gringo to describe Americans and Canadians, just to differentiate them from Mexicans, no slur intended. Some Americans I know do not appreciate that term and many Canadians I know do not appreciate it. I could care less. Just don't call me late for dinner.

Many Mexicans (as well as Spaniards and other Spanish and Portuguese speakers) use gringo to describe any foreigner which is of course the original meaning of the word. Not at all derogatory.

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Several Mexicans I know tell me they use gringo to describe Americans and Canadians, just to differentiate them from Mexicans, no slur intended. Some Americans I know do not appreciate that term and many Canadians I know do not appreciate it. I could care less. Just don't call me late for dinner.

Canadians are not gringos.  I have been told this many times by Mexican people. When I asked what Canadians are, I was told "foreigners", not gringo. Apparently, Americans are gringo.

2 hours ago, Saturn said:

Canadians are not gringos.  I have been told this many times by Mexican people. When I asked what Canadians are, I was told "foreigners", not gringo. Apparently, Americans are gringo.

I beg to differ, I think to the average Mexican basically any white skinned foreigner can and will be called a gringo.  And at times you may also here the word gabacho that is also used same as gringo to refer to foreigners. Of course it is all about context, but I don´t usually feel that it is derogatory in my opinion.  I generally use gringo to refer to us expats,  I used to say American when referring to the expats I saw around, then realized that many Canadian and Europeans abound here, so it is much easier for me to say I saw a rude gringo yelling at the lady in Telecable  than to try to guess if he was Canadian or American.  That´s my take on it.

7 hours ago, Saturn said:

Of course many (most?) Mexicans can't tell the difference between a Canadian or an American. Thus all are gringos. The original meaning of gringo is a foreigner.

12 hours ago, Saturn said:

How would they tell the difference,by their accent or by how much they tip??

Hey, I am just telling you what I have been told by my Mexican friends, most of which do not live Lakeside. I was having the discussion about what is a gringo  one day in Guadalajara, at Liverpool, with an American girl I know, while we were waiting to have her Christmas gifts wrapped. A Mexican lady, waiting in the line, told us that yes, Americans are gringo, Canadians are not. Being Canadian, I asked her what I was. She replied that I was a foreigner. I got the distinct impression, from her body language and facial expressions, that being called a gringo was not, shall we say, a compliment. And that is the same way my Mexican friends explained it to me.  Perhaps, if you are American, you are being told something different?  I don't know. Or maybe the Mexicans in this area lump us all together. Maybe it is different if you are an educated Mexican vs an uneducated person.

I know that we are all often called American here. Or assumed to be. Most everything I read in these forums, refers constantly to being American,  Americanisms, exchange rate, paying in American dollars, how cheap it is here compared to United States, advertising aimed at Americans, etc. The reality is, there are many Europeans and Canadians, Asians, Hispanics from other countries, many nationalites, here.

I am an extranjero.

59 minutes ago, cbviajero said:

And if you made half as much money, got taxed about twice as much, paid quite a bit more for just about everything, had much smaller pensions at the end of the day, you would tip less, too. Every country has it's own economy and economic conditions. When I go to England, I am astounded at the prices. Double for everything.  But their wages are much more, so it is all relative. 

58 minutes ago, cbviajero said:

By their drivers license of  course.

Archived