Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, bmh said:

Thank you Saturn for posting..We were rearended too by a truck while paying a toll but the driver could not run as we were in the middle of nowhere in Michoacan on the autopista.. Weird things happen and there is a reason people see nothing , hear nothing and say nothing..in this country.The laws are different people react differently so no point putting our own value system on top of what we have here, it serves no purpose..

 

We also flipped the car, no one was injured but the police came and the car was taken to a garage in Tapachula..a, we got the car back after a couple of weeks and a month later we hit a metal bar on the cuota in Vera Cruz, we then realized that the police or the garage had stolen all the tools including the jack..I  should have checked when I got the car back but did not think about it.

.Everything that was in the car was gone including some dog blanket and my husband was missing his wallet after the cops got him out of the car...nice group of people..

 

 

Yes, I have heard that if the police come upon an accident scene, you will be relieved of all your money and valuables. Sadly, in your case, it happened. There is not, unfortunately, any way to protect ourselves against this deplorable behaviour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saturn said:

Yes, I have heard that if the police come upon an accident scene, you will be relieved of all your money and valuables. Sadly, in your case, it happened. There is not, unfortunately, any way to protect ourselves against this deplorable behaviour. 

You are just kidding of course?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would he be kidiing , It happened to us, and it happened to the young man from Oaxaca who was draggeg by a car a few years ago in Ajijic.

It also happened recently in 2 separate accidents I know about in Chiapas..

When the young man was found I happened to know he had just collected from a client for a rug and had over 10 000 pesos with him, that money was gone between the time the police came and the time he got to the hospital so either the police or the paramedics took his money. The people who met him at the hospitals are friends of mine and were called by his family to go and help him because they were both from Teotitlan. That money disappeared fast after the young man pleaded for them to call a doctor as he had the money to pay for him. THe man died shortly after he got to the hospital.

Not all the police is crooked or steal but enough of them do it that you should be aware of it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

You are just kidding of course?

It's horrible not to be able to trust those that are charged to be trustworthy.  Another reason to never call the police if someone has died at home.  The police will come in to "investigate" and take everything that isn't nailed down.  Even with a relative standing there.  A family I know has video of uniformed police from Chapala breaking into their house and stealing stuff.  But who do you call when this kind of thing happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

You are just kidding of course?

no.  unfortunately is not kidding.  even some people in some ambulances treat you good and take you fast to the Dr. if you have money with you.  I had a nephew that was hit and one ambulance came and the people from the ambulance took her and the "nurse" said "I will take your earrings"...and yes, she took the silver earrings and they never were back again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

You are just kidding of course?

No, Sir, I was not kidding. And neither were any of the people whose accounts you have just read. It is a sorry state of affairs, when those whom you should be able to trust can do these things and worse to helpless victims. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several years ago one of our Mexican neighbors was burning trash in his back yard on Zaragoza in Ajijic when it went out of control and caught his neighbor's Italian Cypress tree on fire. It looked like a huge sparkler. I ran to Roger and Carol's house and they were watching TV with their backs to their rear garden so they had not noticed it. Carol ran to the phone and called police and the bomberos. 2 bonberos, 2 police and myself were in the house. Fire extinguished, report taken, all was OK. The next day Roger was at my door asking if I had perhaps borrowed his camera, small stereo system and 2 other items I don't remember. Of course my answer was no and he just shrugged and said he would be checking at Bazar de Barbara in the next few days to see if anything turned up. And no, I am also not kidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting replies indeed, but the question still remains: If you're involved in an accident, do you flee the scene and go to a lawyer's office,

do you remain there and call your insurance carrier, do you leave and call your insurance carrier??? It sounds like any number of unpleasant

situations/scenarios potentially await you (even if you're not the one at fault).

What should you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Saturn said:

Yes, I have heard that if the police come upon an accident scene, you will be relieved of all your money and valuables. Sadly, in your case, it happened. There is not, unfortunately, any way to protect ourselves against this deplorable behaviour. 

Saturn said:

"No, Sir, I was not kidding. And neither were any of the people whose accounts you have just read. It is a sorry state of affairs, when those whom you should be able to trust can do these things and worse to helpless victims. "

 

In your statement it is definative the police will rob you/anyone if they show up. Correct?

In my personal expriences  of 21 encounters with Mexican police  only 13% were acting in a corrupt way whatsoever, The other 87% were doing their job. That is why I asked if your were just kidding. Obviously you were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what to tell you. I guess it would depend on the situation. In my husband's case, he was too injured to do much of anything, but he did get the licence posted number of the guy who hit him, and there was a witness who stated what happened. Months later, my husband is still in pain, it took two months to repair the car, which was brand spanking new btw, he is out of pocket for the deductible, and other expenses.... nobody has apparently gone after the guy who hit him. Seems there are no consequences here.

Friend of ours was run into by a scooter. The scooter guy couldn't speak English, looked to be injured, he couldn't walk. They all ended up at the police station, including the scooter guy's entire family. Suddenly, a miracle happened, scooter guy could walk and speak English. Long story short, the foreigner's car was going to be impounded,  unless he paid a ridiculous amount of money to the guy who was at fault. I think he should have left. That's how things are done here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Saturn said:

"No, Sir, I was not kidding. And neither were any of the people whose accounts you have just read. It is a sorry state of affairs, when those whom you should be able to trust can do these things and worse to helpless victims. "

 

In your statement it is definative the police will rob you/anyone if they show up. Correct?

In my personal expriences  of 21 encounters with Mexican police  only 13% were acting in a corrupt way whatsoever, The other 87% were doing their job. That is why I asked if your were just kidding. Obviously you were.

I am happy for you that you have not had these negative things happen to you. But I was NOT kidding. Neither were the other people. Nothing about this is definitive...there are honest police, and corrupt ones. But it happens here far  too often. My wish for you is that you never have your bubble burst. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest bennie2

13% you keep track? sounds like some propaganda to me. they do what they do. whats next a collection cup? i dont trust 100% of them. wasnt that easy?? keep it simple, take cabs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was actually 12.87% Bennie, Do the math.

 

Only kidding :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

 

 

12 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

13% you keep track? sounds like some propaganda to me. they do what they do. whats next a collection cup? i dont trust 100% of them. wasnt that easy?? keep it simple, take cabs. 

It´s about knowing what group of 2 police per car/truck were acting bad. Not that hard to figure out if you passed high school math. Police are 100% corrupt  in all of Mexico is simply a rumor as far as statistics go. Maybe someone/some posters can write a comment that makes sense and is not a "hasty generalization" which is considered to be false by definition of logical fallacies. This will bring the comments up to a better level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Saturn said:

"No, Sir, I was not kidding. And neither were any of the people whose accounts you have just read. It is a sorry state of affairs, when those whom you should be able to trust can do these things and worse to helpless victims. "

 

In your statement it is definative the police will rob you/anyone if they show up. Correct?

In my personal expriences  of 21 encounters with Mexican police  only 13% were acting in a corrupt way whatsoever, The other 87% were doing their job. That is why I asked if your were just kidding. Obviously you were.

If you are including your experiences with police at a traffic stop, those stats don't count in this case.  Unless, of course, he got you out of the car and stole something out of your car while you were distracted by his partner.  Cops in your house or in your car are what we are talking about here.  Cops are paid so little that when opportunity is presented many of them take the low road.  Hope you don't find out the hard way for your head-in-the-sand attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

If you are including your experiences with police at a traffic stop, those stats don't count in this case.  Unless, of course, he got you out of the car and stole something out of your car while you were distracted by his partner.  Cops in your house or in your car are what we are talking about here.  Hope you don't find out the hard way for your head-in-the-sand attitude.

3 home robberies, car accident etc. and no police problem with them at all,  not only traffic stops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, glad you trust the cops in your area.  I'm outta this conversation since it's going nowhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest bennie2

alanmexicali- im not a mexamerican press agent, or a statist. all i know is what i know for myself. the most important thing is my well being. me, myself & i. there is no augument here because i couldnt care less what anyone else thinks. any expat who drives in mex or calls PD for breakin is a fool. (IMO only). those who have had bad experiences should take precautions not to repeat. if they dont, they are a double fool & the story is old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest bennie2

Yo1, maybe the other 2 home robberies were the police he called for the 1st robbery? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course all police personel is not the same but enough are bad that people should be aware of it and be forwarned, after that it is up to each person to figure it out. Unfortunately when people are too sick or injured to protect themselves it is particularly bad.

 

Joanne I have legal assistance in case of an accident so I will stay around until I found out that I was wrong and then I may flee too. but that will be after I find out that legal insurrance does not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

Yo1, maybe the other 2 home robberies were the police he called for the 1st robbery? 

My home was actually broken into 4 times. The first time the electricity was off, I didnt know to pay the bill right away. They took 2 air conditioners, stove, fridge ad the mirror screwed to the wall. The house was empty with no renter.  The 2nd time they broke in and got 2 new 1 tonne air conditioners after I replaced everything. Then I moved in. The central alarms was installed 10 years earlier. I set it up again and had the alarm company paid. Then the 3rd breakin they got the laundry room door open and took my ladder, tools etc. even chemicals but the alarm went off when they entered the bedroom and took off. I was in San Diego. The alarm company tried my phone but I don´t turn it on in SD. My neighbor called the next day. I was there that night all the time thinking the 2 police took everything of value. The neighbor said 2 groups of police went in that night and the alarm company as the door blew open and it alarmed 2X until my neighbor put a rock against the broken door. Nothing was missing. The 4th time they crowbared the back door and the alarm scared them off. Again police and alarm company went inside. I was in San Diego again. Got there the next day and nothing was missing even though I took some expensive video and camera equipment I had left there back to SD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our dentist in San Antonio is Dr. Candy.  Would the deceased be a relation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×