Chapala.com Webboard

Car Accident

According to the article quoted above, Charles Grandy, from San Antonio Tlayacapan, died in this accident. RIP. 

From the article, it appears the deceased was passing a taxi and was in the wrong lane... but the driver of the dump truck fled the scene. Is this because the laws are such that he would go to jail even if he is not at fault, because there was a fatality?  

I was the car he was attempting to pass.  It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.  He had clear visibility (I drive a Fit so there was no reason he could not see the truck), he never swerved, or used his brakes; he just slammed into the truck while accelerating.   I went back and was going to speak to the Police to tell them the truck driver was not at fault in any way- but the scene was too chaotic.  

Should I contact the Police? 

suicide or heart attack. A similar thing happend to me but it was a moto that passed me on the freeway in the middle of nowhere in California, the moto entered the freeway behind me and started passing me and drove right into the metal in the middle. I called 911 and later on found out the man had a heart attack as he was passing me..spooky..

The driver fled because he would have gone to jail until they figured out who was at falt and who was going to pay..for whatever..It is not a crime to flee the scene here so that is what happens.

I have spoken to my lawyer and told hime everything I saw.  He said that he will accompany me to the Police station but unless I can prove I was at the scene, they would probably not be interested.  I glimpsed the driver in my rear view mirror just before he hit- he was staring straight ahead, both hands on the wheel..

Your testimony would probably be a godsend to the poor driver when he is found.

if you give enough details, it should be pretty clear that you are a reliable witness to  the events that led up to the collision and the collision itself. 

if both the above fail, you will know that you did your best to help out in this tragic situation.

Why will it be a God send the guy passing is at fault and the driver took off so by the time they get him it will be sorted out..Going out to report it will just be another Mexican experience..you will learn a lot and not necessarily things that will make you feel better about this country.

The lovely man who died in the accident was named Chuck Candy, not Charles Gandy, and the speculation that it might have been a suicide is absurd.  If you know this man, you will know that this would be the furthest thing from his mind.  He was happily married, loved Mexico and loved his life. When the truth is known, I suspect it will be a case of heart attack or other physical problem that caused the accident.  

Ikarlee, I applaud you for coming forward to inform authorities that the truck driver was not at fault.  I came upon this accident on my way home never knowing that it was someone I knew.  So sad, so sad.

There was no speculation, rather just a suggestion it be considered. Heart attack or stroke is usually checked for in these types of accidents, but from personal experience suicide is sometimes not. It's not a huge cause of this type of accident but more often than most people would think. Unfortunately, many people who do commit suicide are experts at hiding the agony they are going through from the very people they love.

It's just something to consider when trying to figure out why an otherwise inconceivable accident could happen. No speculation on my part, I do not know the deceased.

Of what possible benefit is it to anyone to mention suicide in a thread on the tragic death of a community member? Why would anyone even bring it up? People who knew, loved, are related to this man are suffering and in shock. Would you go to their homes and say to them, "You might want to consider he committed suicide. Sure he seemed happy but he could have been hiding his agony from you and you missed how much he was suffering"?

BTW, speculation by any other name is still speculation. You can call it "just something to be considered" but you are publically speculating on the cause of death of someone you do not even know, adding to the pain of other people you do not know.

People try to figure things out and often families want to know although suicide is really nasty for the families..This accident do not make much sense hence people try to figure out what happened , it is a normal human reaction to rationalize what happened and I do not think any one is trying to hurt anyone . It was a public event and people try to inderstand nothing more to it. 

Family members and close friends gathered together and trying to figure out what happened is understandable. That is not what is going on here. This is idle speculation over a tragedy. It will solve nothing and hurt people who are suffering enough already. Just because people are not "trying" to hurt anyone does not mean they are not hurting anyone. 

Is it the consensus ( as one poster stated that it is not a crime to flee an accident scene) that it is advisable to flee the scene of an accident and speak to a lawyer immediately? Or do you remain and contact your insurance co. so they can hopefully send someone out to the accident scene?

I personally would have a very, very hard time not stopping were I involved in a traffic accident,  my fault or not, but it seems to me that you might be "shooting yourself in the foot" by doing so in a country where you will be treated like a common criminal at least until the authorities

sort out who is at fault and who is responsible for damages, medical bills, etc. if it is NOT a crime to flee an accident scene.

Joanne the water guy from one of the well known water comapany here was always driving like a maniac and always backing up way to fast around the corner of the street as we live on a dead end..One day he ran over an old lady who was crossing the street as he did not see her..he fled the scene abandonning the truck , this is when I found out that running away is not a crime..The water company paid whatever and he is back driving a water truck..That happened over 10 years ago, he does not back up anymore but nothing happened to him..He was a maniac driver but it was an accident,,,

Fleeing is a very common thing to do here, I woud have a hard time doing it but that is what happens in many cases...and yes it is your word against the word of all the other witnesses so the truth does not always prevail..that is the way it is,

So if it is not a crime  and you flee the accident scene am I correct that you are not a wanted person in the eyes of the law and that the police will NOT be looking for a vehicle that fits your description? Even  if eyewitnesses would tell police that a silver SUV with lic. plate #********* (just a hypothetical example) was involved but fled the scene?

This is all rather confusing but something anyone who drives in Mexico definately needs to know.

I know you'd be in very serious trouble if you fled an accident scene NOB, especially if your actions caused serious injuries or death.

22 minutes ago, joanne said:

So if it is not a crime  and you flee the accident scene am I correct that you are not a wanted person in the eyes of the law and that the police will NOT be looking for a vehicle that fits your description? Even  if eyewitnesses would tell police that a silver SUV with lic. plate #********* (just a hypothetical example) was involved but fled the scene?

This is all rather confusing but something anyone who drives in Mexico definately needs to know.

I know you'd be in very serious trouble if you fled an accident scene NOB, especially if your actions caused serious injuries or death.

They will be looking for you and take you to jail if found and if you have no insurance or lawyer you will remain there until you have paid in full all damages you caused the other vehicle and any medical expenses. Even until the vehicle is repaired as in one case where he fleed after broadsiding a funeral parlor´s hurst and 3 days latter it came out of the shop and his sister paid. Then he was let go.

My husband was recently rear ended while stopped at a red light. At full speed by a full size pick up. The driver took off, my husband was taken by ambulance to Cruz Roja, as he was injured. Later, that night, despite being injured, he had to go to Chapala police station and pay them off to NOT put his badly damaged car in impound, which would have lasted months, during which time it wouldn't be getting repaired. and he would have been charged a daily impound fee. This was how the innocent party was treated. The gulity guy, was probably home eating dinner. If he is ever hunted down and charged I will be surprised, to say the least.  Oh, and when the car went out of the police station, items were missing.

It goes against everything I was taught and stand for, but I would never stay as a witness to an accident. I have known of cases where the witness was either threatened with jail, or put in jail, until payment was made. It is very different here. Be careful.

Thank you Saturn for posting..We were rearended too by a truck while paying a toll but the driver could not run as we were in the middle of nowhere in Michoacan on the autopista.. Weird things happen and there is a reason people see nothing , hear nothing and say nothing..in this country.The laws are different people react differently so no point putting our own value system on top of what we have here, it serves no purpose..

We also flipped the car, no one was injured but the police came and the car was taken to a garage in Tapachula..a, we got the car back after a couple of weeks and a month later we hit a metal bar on the cuota in Vera Cruz, we then realized that the police or the garage had stolen all the tools including the jack..I  should have checked when I got the car back but did not think about it.

.Everything that was in the car was gone including some dog blanket and my husband was missing his wallet after the cops got him out of the car...nice group of people..

Archived