Chapala.com Webboard

Typhoid / Salmonella? Asymptomatic? Just some fatigue?

This one is new to me.. seems worth the effort if you know prior to antibiotic use and that doctor prescribing, that your (salmonella???) nasty bug is resistant to certain antibiotics.

Anyone have more information on the specs of this testing?  I am seeing it is done a variety of ways, and wondering about those details.

I will definitely research this further.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, PORTIMOM said:

This one is new to me.. seems worth the effort if you know prior to antibiotic use and that doctor prescribing, that your (salmonella???) nasty bug is resistant to certain antibiotics.

Anyone have more information on the specs of this testing?  I am seeing it is done a variety of ways, and wondering about those details.

I will definitely research this further.

Problem is: tests to confirm exact nature of bug (say, salmonella v. e-coli) takes a few days minimum (culture can't be rushed).  Most doctors will give you meds based on their best educated guess given your exact symptoms, how long, how severe.  They will send out culture, monitor your condition (the correct antibiotic will normally start working within a day or two).  Then they will retest after 2 weeks to see if you're 'cured.'

"problem" acknowledged... The doctor had to change my antibiotic, due to ineffectiveness noted on the first...

So I actually began my dosing on Cipro after 3 on the other.... ugh

Quite frankly good thing it was caught, from now on I will review all prescriptions prior to filing.

It was EASY information to locate.  (shaking head here)

So OK... the culture takes a few days... better to know still eh?

Now culturing... What are the tests available?  How does this work?  Blood or other sample? Good to be educated for 

you know what tests to request or have your doctor notified of said results.

Why be on an ineffective antibiotic or one that your nasty problem has built resistance towards!  

Guest bennie2

bwhite1948: wrong. the list is what the patient is resistant too, several drs & the lab told me. i havnt taken cipro (as far i as know, maybe) so i dont know about yogart. i ate much of it on anti biotics. in general i would look up the drug precribed to me for info. 

On 6/13/2016 at 8:29 PM, PORTIMOM said:

You are resistant, or what you had was resistant, to cipro?

What type of culture test or "sensitivity" test are you referring to?

Interesting... please explain.

Yes, Doctors reach for that quite often...  So it is good to know!

Good point!    the microbe becomes resistant not the body. Urine C&S was resistant

13 hours ago, bwhite1948 said:

Problem is: tests to confirm exact nature of bug (say, salmonella v. e-coli) takes a few days minimum (culture can't be rushed).  Most doctors will give you meds based on their best educated guess given your exact symptoms, how long, how severe.  They will send out culture, monitor your condition (the correct antibiotic will normally start working within a day or two).  Then they will retest after 2 weeks to see if you're 'cured.'

When a physician orders what he/she thinks will cure the infection , they order what they think is best.  They do not want to wait for sensitivity results because the infection could get worse.  The test for sensitivity generally includes more than one antibiotic and usually takes 1-2 days for results.  

Right, and there is a faster method that they are working on to be implemented in the US, but that appears years off?  

The reasons or such are so important, that there is a government funded initiative (5 year funded in 2015)  http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/pdf/ar_initiative_fact_sheet.pdf 

This topic seems to have been beaten to death, but...

Here's another data point: a recent report from the CDC on a typhoid fever outbreak last year traced to an asymptomatic carrier working at restaurant.

The language of the report is quite dry and clinical, but to read it, click on this link:

Typhoid Fever Outbreak Associated with an Asymptomatic Carrier at a Restaurant ― Weld County, Colorado, 2015

It appears Typhoid Mary lives...

FWIW,

-- Don

11 minutes ago, Don Anomino said:

This topic seems to have been beaten to death, but...

Here's another data point: a recent report from the CDC on a typhoid fever outbreak last year traced to an asymptomatic carrier working at restaurant.

The language of the report is quite dry and clinical, but to read it, click on this link:

Typhoid Fever Outbreak Associated with an Asymptomatic Carrier at a Restaurant ― Weld County, Colorado, 2015

It appears Typhoid Mary lives...

FWIW,

-- Don

It says they agreed to hold the person's job until they tested free of typhoid. I sure hope they taught him/her how to wash their hands properly after using the facilities. Pretty scary stuff.

Archived