Chapala.com Webboard

Typhoid / Salmonella? Asymptomatic? Just some fatigue?

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Getting sick from restaurant food is by no means confined to Mexico.  The unfortunage "healthy" Mexican food chain, Chipolte, has almost been done in by the cases of food poisoning at their restaurants due to a supplier passing on contaminated food.  Recalls of many products have been happening in the U.S.. I have no idea who is dropping the ball on the inspection front, but it's worse than it's ever been.

I enjoy dining out, especially at lunch.  We seldom eat dinner out.  I have a very short list of places where I've never had a bad reaction from restaurant food and I can't imagine enjoying life here under Bennie's regime, but we're all entitled to the level of risks to our health we're willing to take.  There are several middling high end restaurants where I wouldn't dare go near their salads after experiencing negative effects from them. Sprouts are the riskiest. Otherwise, their food was fine.  The "short list" is where we spend our dining dollars.  I'm not going to name them due to the inevitable firestorm which would result, but I see no reason for people to avoid the pleasure of dining out, out of fear.  Just pay attention to how you feel post-eating and eliminate the places that give your stomach a workout.

The problem with intestinal pathogens is that some effects show in in 2 hrs, or 8-12 hrs, or 24 hrs. or several days.  Consequently it's impossible to tell where you got your food borne illness.  If you have a pathogen on your hands, you will bring it home with you.  (First thing I do when I get home is wash my hands thoroughly.)  I hate to cook so I eat out almost everyday.  Everywhere you touch in a restaurant, others  have touched too; the chair where you grab it to pull yourself closer to the table, the menu (yuck), salt and pepper shakers, etc.  But if I let all that bother me, I'd never leave my house or limit my travels, like bennie.  No thanks!!!  I mitigate my chances of getting stuff by washing my hands at appropriate times and and taking reasonable precautions when dining out.  BTW--I quit eating alfalfa sprouts over 10 years ago--not worth the risk.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bennie2

ofcause over boiling isnt necessary. just a few minutes & make sure the fruit/veg pieces are covered in water & theres a lid on top. portimom, cooking all the time can be a job. best to bake 2 pieces of fish @ once. many people have strong immune systems & can eat anything. beware of too much medication. goodluck, keep us posted.

14 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

The problem with intestinal pathogens is that some effects show in in 2 hrs, or 8-12 hrs, or 24 hrs. or several days.  Consequently it's impossible to tell where you got your food borne illness.  If you have a pathogen on your hands, you will bring it home with you.  (First thing I do when I get home is wash my hands thoroughly.)  I hate to cook so I eat out almost everyday.  Everywhere you touch in a restaurant, others  have touched too; the chair where you grab it to pull yourself closer to the table, the menu (yuck), salt and pepper shakers, etc.  But if I let all that bother me, I'd never leave my house or limit my travels, like bennie.  No thanks!!!  I mitigate my chances of getting stuff by washing my hands at appropriate times and and taking reasonable precautions when dining out.  BTW--I quit eating alfalfa sprouts over 10 years ago--not worth the risk.

Excellent point about hand washing.  I'm fairly obsessive about that and perhaps as a result, am seldom sick.  There are some railings around town that are so filthy that your hands get sticky just touching them and f'hevvins sake, wash your hands well if you visit a doc's office.  The best germs hang out there.

Guest bennie2

wash my hands after i walk in the door. ALL IMMUNE SYSTEMS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. foodcarts have existed everywhere i have lived for most of my life. i could eat from them as a child & not be sick. a foodcart is a foodcart. many years ago i tried this locally. very ill w/bad infection. could have been all the sugar, bacteria. tasted good but my throat began to be sore soon after. i dont "limit" my travels, i choose to be comfortable. it feels better all around.

I wash my hands first with soap, and then wash all fruits and vegetables with soap, then soak all fruits and vegetables in water with a capful of bleach, for ten minutes. Then I rinse in purified water. I rarely eat meat of any kind. When I do eat chicken,  I wash and rinse chicken, too, although I do not soak it. I use bleach because a nephrologist told us that the drops are hard on kidney function. My counters are bleached daily, always after grocery store bags have sat on them.  I freak out when people put their purses on my table....have you seen where women put those things? We have never been sick from eating at home. I have no desire to eat out often, let alone every day. Street food? No way. Cut up fruit in supermarkets? No way. Salads in a restaurant?  Never.  

I think all of us are different and react differently.  And we all have to find out what works for us. When a friend comes to town and of course wants to eat out all the time, I dread it...the eating out part that is more than my usual. 

Salmonella sucks. So does ecoli. A doctor told me not to eat out at open patios in April and May, due to all the dried fecal matter flying around in the air, from the livestock, and other animals. That's something that never was a concern to me on a city patio in Canada's short summer season. 

And Portimom, I get laughed at, too. Just like I got laughed at, and called Ghost, and White Baby, all through my whole life for not going in the sun at all, like never. People ask me how is my skin so amazing....guess who's laughing now? 

I am thoroughly enjoying my life in Mexico. It isn't paradise...that doesn't exist. My eyes are open, and I am sure they will open more. 

36 minutes ago, Saturn said:

I wash my hands first with soap, and then wash all fruits and vegetables with soap, then soak all fruits and vegetables in water with a capful of bleach, for ten minutes. Then I rinse in purified water. I rarely eat meat of any kind. When I do eat chicken,  I wash and rinse chicken, too, although I do not soak it. I use bleach because a nephrologist told us that the drops are hard on kidney function. My counters are bleached daily, always after grocery store bags have sat on them.  I freak out when people put their purses on my table....have you seen where women put those things? We have never been sick from eating at home. I have no desire to eat out often, let alone every day. Street food? No way. Cut up fruit in supermarkets? No way. Salads in a restaurant?  Never.  

I think all of us are different and react differently.  And we all have to find out what works for us. When a friend comes to town and of course wants to eat out all the time, I dread it...the eating out part that is more than my usual. 

Salmonella sucks. So does ecoli. A doctor told me not to eat out at open patios in April and May, due to all the dried fecal matter flying around in the air, from the livestock, and other animals. That's something that never was a concern to me on a city patio in Canada's short summer season. 

And Portimom, I get laughed at, too. Just like I got laughed at, and called Ghost, and White Baby, all through my whole life for not going in the sun at all, like never. People ask me how is my skin so amazing....guess who's laughing now? 

I am thoroughly enjoying my life in Mexico. It isn't paradise...that doesn't exist. My eyes are open, and I am sure they will open more. 

Staying clear of restaurants (due to heat) and open air patios in April and May sounds like a sane move.

Never knew you could disinfect fruit with bleach.. hmmm.

Yup we do get laughed at, but most of it is good natured, taken with a grain of salt.

I stay clear of the strong sun too and wear my shade... 

We too are enjoying life in Mexico and the added dinners home... Well that is my husband's idea of heaven.

Not sure he realizes this delivered "that bonus" to him yet, for we are both homebound (no need to push when

recovering or contaminate others) at this point in time.  

Lot's of good tips on this thread.  

50 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

wash my hands after i walk in the door. ALL IMMUNE SYSTEMS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. foodcarts have existed everywhere i have lived for most of my life. i could eat from them as a child & not be sick. a foodcart is a foodcart. many years ago i tried this locally. very ill w/bad infection. could have been all the sugar, bacteria. tasted good but my throat began to be sore soon after. i dont "limit" my travels, i choose to be comfortable. it feels better all around.

We started doing the wash hands upon entering routine too.  

Not anything different than my husband had to do in the US, as he was around children.

41 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

If this bothers you, don't read it. Simple. But, don't try to ruin it for the rest of us. Some of us are getting sound advice here and want it to continue.

Yes, please continue.  Many of us are learning something. I had no idea that salmonella could be asymptomatic, that you could be a carrier, or that it could progress. That was new news for me, and I appreciate it.

No one is forcing anyone to read things, just move on. One day you may have to look this thread up and then it will all be here for your benefit. 

Additional info.  I have implemented one minor change in diet, and it may have made an overnight impact. It could be mere coincidence, and diet change, but I thought I would note that here...

On the recommendation of a health care professional from the US, I have eliminated calcium enriched products from my diet.  I feel great. End the week, will conclude for the cipro. Then wait two weeks, and RETEST.

Antacids are also not recommended.  This person stated to be on a quality high potency probiotic both during and long after dosing with this or any antibiotic. I was also advised that vitamins which contain magnesium, zinc, calcium or zinc may interfere with the antibiotic.  As per my date of impact at the Ajijic Clinic, it appeared common sense to discontinue all sups, not just due to my already compromised stomach, but also due to interaction potential, which none of us know every in and out fo.  So I was on the right track, but others reading this thread may not be aware of it.

Question about probiotics:  If Cipro kills all bacteria in the gut, good and bad, why take a probiotic while still on Cipro?  The Cipro would kill the good bacteria, not stop the diarrhea caused by the antibiotic and be a waste.  It would seem more sensible to take the probiotic AFTER finishing any antibiotic to re-establish good bacteria in the gut. 

21 hours ago, PORTIMOM said:

Thank you for that perspective.  Some do report that they feel their immune system build up resistance.  My immune system has never been of that type.. smile.. thus the no eating off carts.  Yes, just like in the US skill varies from one Dr to the next.  Oh boy did I find that out, when I requested blood work up from a third (first I saw when I felt ill-day prior to emergency ten hours at Ajijic Clinic) and she said not needed, and threw an antibiotic at me without doing the blood test or throat culture I requested several (3) times.

Which lab do you believe is the best, and why is that?

C.A.R.E. (next to Maskaras and DiLabim (next to Integrity)  Both very reliable.  C.A.R.E is the higher priced option.  i've had inconsistent results from the others.

11 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Question about probiotics:  If Cipro kills all bacteria in the gut, good and bad, why take a probiotic while still on Cipro?  The Cipro would kill the good bacteria, not stop the diarrhea caused by the antibiotic and be a waste.  It would seem more sensible to take the probiotic AFTER finishing any antibiotic to re-establish good bacteria in the gut. 

GREAT question!

I've done it both ways, quite by accident.  In the "early days" I would get diarrhea several days into antibiotic treatment.  I never dosed with probiotics back then.  However, I find personally, that though the antibiotic may kill off some of the probiotics, somehow I avoid those stomach problems when dosing during.   

Your question made me curious as to if there were any studies on this.  

I found an interesting link:  http://chriskresser.com/what-to-do-if-you-need-to-take-antibiotics/ (What To Do If You Need To Take Antibiotics) which indeed sites the findings in studies.    

Just to add my 2 cents: I had paratyphoid B when I first got here. I think I got it eating oysters Rockefeller at a place in Guad. Oysters, alas, like to live at the mouth of rivers, and most rivers are polluted now.Twenty years ago I loved to eat raw littleneck clams on Cape Cod. Sic transit gloria.

Guest bennie2

since anti- biotics kill good bacteria, you need to take the PRO biotics (acidopolis) during the medicine cycle and after. also eat natural sour yogart w/out sugar color or gluten. (lejaim). while the "cipro" (or any other) kills, the probiotic is replacing. btw, you can get infections from your own kitchen as well. someimes our habits can be sloppy.:ph34r:

5 hours ago, PORTIMOM said:

Additional info.  I have implemented one minor change in diet, and it may have made an overnight impact. It could be mere coincidence, and diet change, but I thought I would note that here...

On the recommendation of a health care professional from the US, I have eliminated calcium enriched products from my diet.  I feel great. End the week, will conclude for the cipro. Then wait two weeks, and RETEST.

Antacids are also not recommended.  This person stated to be on a quality high potency probiotic both during and long after dosing with this or any antibiotic. I was also advised that vitamins which contain magnesium, zinc, calcium or zinc may interfere with the antibiotic.  As per my date of impact at the Ajijic Clinic, it appeared common sense to discontinue all sups, not just due to my already compromised stomach, but also due to interaction potential, which none of us know every in and out fo.  So I was on the right track, but others reading this thread may not be aware of it.

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the need to take probiotics, just wondering if a quality one is available here in MX.

1 hour ago, Frijoles said:

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the need to take probiotics, just wondering if a quality one is available here in MX.

Great question, one that I have not an answer to at this point.

Maybe one of the other members has the answer?

My daughter brings mine in a cooler bag, when she visits from the US.

I certainly would be interested if someone has a quality source for this, here or in Guad.

A high potency (40 billion or higher) with at least 8 strains, would be my choice.

I use the Udo's choice super 8 high potency:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Super 8 Probiotic Blend 280.34 mg  

Lactobacillus Acidophilus HA-122   45%

Lactobacillus Rhamnosus HA-111   25%

Lactobacillus Rhamnosus HA-114   10%

Lactobacillus Plantarum HA-119   7%

Bifidobacterium Bifidum HA-132   6%

Lactobacillus Casei HA-108   3%

Bifidobacterium Longum HA-108   3%

Lactobacillus Salivarius HA-118   1%

Guest bennie2

"puritans pride" 90 pill bottle. keep refriged. prasad next to telmex. (mentioned this several oages ago, but dont mind re sharing). take 2 xs a day when on meds or not feeling well. 1 per day if your immune system is down. 3 doctors here also agree. since i eat large amounts of the natural yogart i dont take the acidopolis that often. 

On 6/11/2016 at 1:36 PM, PORTIMOM said:

Understood and appreciated.  

I've used the drops, but its more like a cap I throw in to disinfect.  Never been sick, soaking it like that.

I know it came from the carts in Joco, via the other person.  I remember the group chiding me on how I would 

not eat off the carts and trying to shove the fruit in my face.  They made a real big deal of it...    lol.. won't be 

walking my main pet anywhere near carts anymore... lol.  Ta da... that will settle that!

Range hook chosen and being installed... I will have a gourmet kitchen after this attack on my stomach.

Gotta make lots of lemon frosties from this experience!

Lucky I am a good cook... I do Italiano night about once a month (guess I will be doing an around the world tour now)

at home for friends.  Problem is I overcook, but I always have my deep freeze and friends to come to the rescue.

I won't allow anyone in the door to eat here, until the coast is clear.   This is more than a nuisance though... Very dangerous

illness according to the area doctors (2) that I have spoken to.

Just wanted to add to Portamom's post on cipro.You don't have to have a reaction for it not to be used.  Cipro is so used for everything that many are resistant. Had a culture and sensitivity done and yes, I am resistant. .

21 minutes ago, Newjersey expat said:

Just wanted to add to Portamom's post on cipro.You don't have to have a reaction for it not to be used.  Cipro is so used for everything that many are resistant. Had a culture and sensitivity done and yes, I am resistant. .

You are resistant, or what you had was resistant, to cipro?

What type of culture test or "sensitivity" test are you referring to?

Interesting... please explain.

Yes, Doctors reach for that quite often...  So it is good to know!

I wouldn't wash my vegies in bleach. While chlorine kills bacteria, it is not good for human consumption. There have been links between breast cancer and areas where the water is heavily chlorinated, for instance. There are various drops which are used to purify vegetables- all do not have the same active ingredients, read the label. Some are iodine based, some colloidal silver (actually good for you), also grapefruit seed extract can be used, as well as food-grade hydrogen peroxide.

As for building up a resistance, I think it is more a matter of one's stomach and intestines getting used to different ingredients, different water, climate, altitudes, etc. Some people get sick when traveling to highly civilized places until they adjust. It is a very erroneous idea that Mexicans are immune from the bacteria here. When I was an ignorant newbie, I said something to that effect to my carpenter. He looked at me with a funny expression and said no way, that he and his family had health insurance and that their doctor gave them all a dose of parasite medicine twice a year. Personally, I don't know that I'd take it without actually being tested to know I needed it, but it was an eye-opener.

Guest bennie2

when you take a throat culture the lab has a list on the report of which antibiotics you need for that infection. there is also a list of he ones you are resistant too. 

16 hours ago, bennie2 said:

since anti- biotics kill good bacteria, you need to take the PRO biotics (acidopolis) during the medicine cycle and after. also eat natural sour yogart w/out sugar color or gluten. (lejaim). while the "cipro" (or any other) kills, the probiotic is replacing. btw, you can get infections from your own kitchen as well. someimes our habits can be sloppy.:ph34r:

Do NOT eat any dairy (including yogurt) when you are on Cipro as dairy negates the full effect of the Cipro. 

8 hours ago, bennie2 said:

when you take a throat culture the lab has a list on the report of which antibiotics you need for that infection. there is also a list of he ones you are resistant too. 

it is not a list of antibiotics "you are resistant too (sic)"  It is a list of the antibiotics that the bacteria is resistant to.  

Archived