Chapala.com Webboard

Real estate

Guest Kathie b

1 hour ago, ezpz said:

The buzz around Ajijic is that the houses that are selling are going for wa-a-a-ay below asking price.  The websites don't say what the houses actually sold for!

Exactly what my real estate friends have told me.  First offer by buyers will be 20% below asking; counter by seller  will be 10% below asking.  Buyers will counter 15% below and sellers will agree.  

My friends bought a house in Chapala 10 years ago for $65k and the asking was $79k. they only had to spend $10k to modernize it and change floor plans. That ended up being less than what they had set their budget for in 2000 when the Canadian dollar was worth only about 62 cents.
 I, on the other hand, am quite happy renting in Chapala.

16 minutes ago, garmemorial said:

I sold recently after owning the house 11 years

Paid 7% real estate, 1% IVA and CAPITAAL GAINS

It is hard to overcome those charges

Yes, I had all utility bills and proper immigration status

REAL ESTATE IS A BAD INVESTMENT

Agree. You can end up paying capital gains due to the peso fluctuations. If the purchase and sale are in US funds, it is valued here, because we are in Mexico, in pesos. So if you bought when the peso was say, 10 to the US dollar, and sold when the peso is 18 to the dollar, you can end up showing a large gain, even if you sold in the same US dollar amount, or somewhat higher or lower, than  you originally purchased it for. You can literally end up paying capital gains, on a loss. It happens. But many of us that own homes don't realise it, or don't want to think about it.

1 hour ago, bwhite1948 said:

Exactly what my real estate friends have told me.  First offer by buyers will be 20% below asking; counter by seller  will be 10% below asking.  Buyers will counter 15% below and sellers will agree.  

True story.....about 15 years ago we met a fellow, who had built here for $35,000.00 US.  He was quickly approached by a real estate agent who offered him $ 100,000.00 US. Not being a fool, he accepted the offer and went elsewhere. The agent promptly put the house up for sale for $250,000.00 US. It was a hot market back then. The house sold fast.

I don't understand the payment of capital gains tax when selling a home if it is owned by a  foreign resident here.  All the information I have received, and read, says that if an expat is resident here, no capital gains tax is applicable when selling your primary home here.  Perhaps some busy real estate professional or notary will find the time to reply?

It depends on where around the lake you are looking. A friend has a house on the market in San Juan Cosala for $129,000 - 4,000 sq feet of land and 2.000 sq feet of house. Beautiful, renovated and updated in every way - 2 to 3 BR and 2 1/2 bath. It's on MLS so it depends on what you are looks for.

Archived