Chapala.com Webboard

Temporary US Car Insurance

I'll be driving a US plated car out of Mexico and don't want to add it to my existing US policy..... been there, done that and it's a huge hassle!   Does anyone have a recommendation for "temporary" US Liability Insurance that I could acquire, either at the border or online?

Tell more about the "hassle" of adding a car to your existing US ins policy RickS. Over the years I have bought and sold cars from time to time and have added or deleted cars from our US policy and all the agent asked is for the VIN# and date to be added or deleted. No hassle at all.

29 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Tell more about the "hassle" of adding a car to your existing US ins policy RickS. Over the years I have bought and sold cars from time to time and have added or deleted cars from our US policy and all the agent asked is for the VIN# and date to be added or deleted. No hassle at all.

I sent you a PM, Tom.

1 hour ago, Bontekoe said:

Insure it with Geico and cancel it when you get back, they will credit you, done it before

When you inspired with Geico, it was a Mexican plated car? We did this with Progressive when we drove our US plated car NOB. I wasn't aware a US insurance company would insure a Mexican car.

6 hours ago, Bontekoe said:

Insure it with Geico and cancel it when you get back, they will credit you, done it before

Yes, I had Geico for 4-5 years, and was occasionally doing what you described... add and delete purchased/sold vehicles. After a while they sent me a 'Dear John' cancellation letter saying, in effect, "we don't do business like you seem to want to do business". Never mind that I also had 2 other cars, a truck, a horse trailer and an RV on the policy that I never did anything to but pay the premiums! Never a claim on anything.

So I'm not interested in doing that with my current insurer...

YMMV

4 hours ago, Joyfull said:

When you inspired with Geico, it was a Mexican plated car? We did this with Progressive when we drove our US plated car NOB. I wasn't aware a US insurance company would insure a Mexican car.

The OP said it was a US-plated car.  I believe Bontekoe's suggestion is the best way.  That's what I did when I drove my US-plated car to the US. I bought a 6-month policy ahead of time to take effect the day I planned to cross the border, paid for the first month up front, cancelled the policy when I returned and got a refund on what remained of the first month.  I believe there are various places near the border to buy insurance to cover a Mexican-plated in the US.

2 minutes ago, RickS said:

Yes, I had Geico 4-5 years, and was doing what you described... add and delete. After a while they sent me a 'Dear John' cancellation letter saying, in effect, "we don't do business like you seem to want to do business". Never mind that I also had 2 other cars, a truck, a horse trailer and an RV on the policy that I never did anything to but pay the premiums!

YMMV

Why not choose another insurer and do what I just suggested, unless you are going back and forth often.

... unless you are going back and forth often.

Often enough that one insurance company (Geico) has already cancelled me for 'excessive transactions'.

I'll just pick an insurance company, like Fred Loya, and insure it until sold.

Thanks for the input.

6 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I just bought online from Segurogringo. My account from prior purchases showed up. Laredo address. No problem. Max 14 days $52USD inc roadside asst.

Again, I have a US plated car, leaving Mexico with it, don't have a Mexican Address, and am looking for insurance to meet US requirements once in the US.  I already have Mexican-insurance-for-US-Plated-cars and am now looking to be legal once in the US.

Nothing I can find on the Segurogringo website meets my need for US insurance.

Liability at a minimum..... but I probably see how you can and I can't.   Segurogringo is a 'website'. The Insurance company is actually NATIONAL UNITY INSURANCE  out of San Antonio. I called them and they stated that they only sell insurance in Texas (one must have a Texas address). That's why your Laredo address works for you. I don't live in Texas and therefore cannot buy "Segurogringo" insurance.

You may be over thinking this.  Have you actually tried to complete the purchase?  I just went through the process using a California address, a Florida license and Georgia license plate. Took me to the credit card screen to purchase.

National Unity is a Texas company for regular insurance. Who ever you spoke to maybe was not aware of the tourist policy.  The policy that Segurogringo (and many other agents) issue is a special policy. Not for use of someone buying a car in Texas that has to show proof of insurance to register their purchase hence the limit on number of days

.Their website offers to sell to Mexican residents also.

I would suggest if you haven't actually tried to buy go through the process and see what happens. 

1 click USA flag for english
2 click under foreigners cars and vans with US plates
3 select port of entry
4 select 14 days
5 select time
6 select drivers
7 select destination
8 ask for qoute    
9 after you have your qoutation register and complete/

" You may be over thinking this...."

You may have a point. I did 'start a process' and backed out after I thought it wanted my Mexico address.  I'll give it a shot again later today. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You may be over thinking this.  Have you actually tried to complete the purchase?  I just went through the process using a California address, a Florida license and Georgia license plate. Took me to the credit card screen to purchase.

National Unity is a Texas company for regular insurance. Who ever you spoke to maybe was not aware of the tourist policy.  The policy that Segurogringo (and many other agents) issue is a special policy. Not for use of someone buying a car in Texas that has to show proof of insurance to register their purchase hence the limit on number of days

.Their website offers to sell to Mexican residents also.

I would suggest if you haven't actually tried to buy go through the process and see what happens. 

1 click USA flag for English  Did this
2 click under foreigners cars and vans with US plates  Did this
3 select port of entry  Got the warning shown below....
4 select 14 days
5 select time
6 select drivers
7 select destination
8 ask for qoute    
9 after you have your quotation register and complete/

OK, so I did try just now. After Step 2 (on the page for Step 3) there is the following in RED (which is what I saw the first time I tried Segurogringo)

Insurance for cars and trucks USA plates
This service is exclusive for foreign citizens or persons permanently residing in Mexico and who drive cars or vans with individual plates USA. The address in the policy should be in Mexico. Not valid address of USA or Canada.

Looks to me like I don't qualify because, as I stated before, I don't permanently reside in Mexico nor do I have a Mexican address for the Policy.

You seem to be dead set on not getting insurance from Segurogringo.    Again just click ahead and buy. If they issue the policy you are covered. If they are in error issuing the policy they have errors and omissions insurance to cover the problem. Just do not lie on the application.

Actually I was dead set on attempting to use this service. But sorry, not going to knowingly commit fraud on required liability insurance and hope that later, while hanging out to dry, I win the war with an insurance company. Don't like those odds.  Other options are available to me and I see no need to disregard their warning as to whom this policy is and is not available. If you are comfortable with doing that, so be it. I'm not. 

On 6/1/2016 at 10:27 PM, RickS said:

Yes, I had Geico for 4-5 years, and was occasionally doing what you described... add and delete purchased/sold vehicles. After a while they sent me a 'Dear John' cancellation letter saying, in effect, "we don't do business like you seem to want to do business". Never mind that I also had 2 other cars, a truck, a horse trailer and an RV on the policy that I never did anything to but pay the premiums! Never a claim on anything.

YMMV

We had the same issue with our US insurer and agent that we had used for 29 years.

Insurance companies have a principle (running unseen by most of us) called "Morale Hazard".  (not Moral Hazard)

My insurance agent explained that when we have vehicles that are only insured part of the year... or once every few years... or cars that we want covered that were not previous covered by at least some US insurance company... or any variation of part-time insurance:  Then it throws up red-flags in the insurance companies national databases that the person is a bad risk... and is potentially trying to game their systems...  and they say that people who do not keep continuous insurance on their vehicle(s) cost the insurance companies 36% higher risks/costs.

RickS is right,  that NONE of us want to be flagged as a "Morale Hazard" - that we have bad morale towards auto insurance, as their computers automatically flag us.

This came up when I talked with my agent about using South Dakota insurance for our car that was garaged in Colorado.  We were NOT maintaining a US address, except for having mail delivered to our kid's house... and the same insurance agent still had the house policy, as a rental, for our Colorado home, while we lived in Mexico for 10 years.

The Colorado insurance agent blew a gasket, because he was convinced were cheating the system - as his computer system flagged us as  a "Morale Risk" ... even though we had never missed a payment,  nor allowed a policy to elapse with him, for 29 years.

If one is clearly a professional car broker/dealer/flipper  then the insurance company likely views it like tomgates (above), especially as tom was getting US insurance when he bought them, and keeping US insurance on them while he had them.   It's when we have a car that is insured only part-time that the insurance companies blow a gasket..  and accuse us of cheating.

Best of luck, Rick.

E-surance was far far more understanding...  but even they said they'd raise our premiums if we discontinued coverage while living in Mexico.

Archived