Chapala.com Webboard

After 20 years at Lakeside Marcos is retiring and moving away.  "His kids have left him."  He is tired and ready for a change in his life.  Closing date is June 20th.     A man (family) from Guadalajara has bought the business.  He currently has 3 restaurants in  GDL and 1 in Chapala (no I do not remember the name.  It is a small operation on the left side as you start up the main street...by the steps going up the hill.)   He has said he will keep the same menu but with new additions.  Marcos is relocating to Arandas, Jal.

A truly fine person who richly deserves a slower pace in his life. The example he set in raising his 2 step children was noticed by virtually everyone who was more than an occasional customer. That example also included his long time partner who passed several years ago. He finally decided to close on Sundays a few years ago but I remember that he was nervous that he would make some of his long time customers angry.

The food was {almost} always very good and if it wasn't he made it right. Sad to hear you are leaving but am happy for you.

Thanks for the good grub and even more for the friendship we developed. Surprised he is not going closer to Colima but he will have cooler weather in Arandas.

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

A truly fine person who richly deserves a slower pace in his life. The example he set in raising his 2 step children was noticed by virtually everyone who was more than an occasional customer. That example also included his long time partner who passed several years ago. He finally decided to close on Sundays a few years ago but I remember that he was nervous that he would make some of his long time customers angry.

The food was {almost} always very good and if it wasn't he made it right. Sad to hear you are leaving but am happy for you.

Thanks for the good grub and even more for the friendship we developed. Surprised he is not going closer to Colima but he will have cooler weather in Arandas.

I wish Marcos well in his retirement.  He had many fans.

I have my fingers crossed that the new proprietor will fulfill my wish list by offering a mild salsa, along with a muy picante one, for us wusses. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The name of the restaurant is D'gustar.  Had dinner there Friday night with 3 friends.

The menu is limited for now (no beef)...only pastas and fish dishes for the moment but

that will change very soon.  One owner, and chef, is Julian.  Julian is from #4 and Arileo.

The other owner is Jesus, Julian's brother-in-law.  Jesus and his family are living in Kansas.

The food was delicious and should only improve as they expand the menu very soon.  The prices are

very reasonable.  I had fettuccine alfredo with shrimp and a margarita for 155 pesos.  Plenty of shrimp.

Meal included garlic bread.  Give them a try.  Well worth the experience.

We ate there Thursday evening, their first day to be open. They're starting with a small menu, but it will expand. What a smart idea! Other places with large menus could take note.

We almost had our minds made up on a menu item when Julian came out of the kitchen with two plates of chicken Parmesan (not on the menu) on their way to another table. We decided to order that. It was excellent. Thinly breaded chicken breast, a great sauce, pasta cooked perfectly. Food piping hot. Very generous portion for 90 pesos. We split a good sized Caesar salad (60 pesos) and had two soft drinks. Our total bill was 270 pesos. We will definitely be returning soon. 

Jesús is here from Topeka, Kansas, to help Julián get things up and running. The family is originally from Zacatecas. For now, he's serving as the front of the house manager and main waiter. They have painted the interior, the tables and chairs are a nice upgrade from El Sarape. They plan to be open every day from 11:00 on. Go try them out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Archived