Chapala.com Webboard

I can't find current law on this, but a local Mexican lawyer told me two years ago that if you have a valid US license you do not have to take the written or driving test in order to get a Mexican driver's license and that they will never tell you this at the examining office.  Is this true?

Valid foreign drivers license may mean no road test but you probably have to answer the test questions.

Several weeks ago they were doing the road test near the Chapala malecon and no written test was required to get the license. They are going to do this again soon but it is difficult to find out when.

The requirements vary widely depending on many things.

Do you need to take a copy of the Mexican law with you that says that you do not have to take the driving test with your valid US license? If so, where can I find this law?

7 minutes ago, cedros said:

Valid foreign drivers license may mean no road test but you probably have to answer the test questions.

Several weeks ago they were doing the road test near the Chapala malecon and no written test was required to get the license. They are going to do this again soon but it is difficult to find out when.

The requirements vary widely depending on many things.

Ain't that the truth........

They are generally more interested in paperwork than anything else.  If you have all the paperwork, you can generally breeze through.

I think the actual law says a driving test and written test which makes sense for 16 year old kids getting their first license.  Many of the examiners figure for the old farts that if we have managed to survive this long, we probably know the rules and can drive.

Depending on who you get, they may want both tests, one test, no test.  They will translate for you on the written or just "help" you with the test.

When I moved from GA to NM, it took me 3 trips to get everything they wanted.  First time in MX, 2 trips.

Governments are all the same, worldwide.

I had to take both tests in March.  They didn't care that I had a valid driver's licence from elsewhere.  A friend of mine has a Mexican driver's licence from another state and she was also required to do both.

Exyyz, how was the driving test?  Do you have any suggestions or pointers for how to parallel park between the cones?  Can you see the cones looking out the side glass, or must you use the side mirror?

6 hours ago, Earl said:

Exyyz, how was the driving test?  Do you have any suggestions or pointers for how to parallel park between the cones?  Can you see the cones looking out the side glass, or must you use the side mirror?

I actually found it very easy.  They cones are tall and placed farther apart than the average parking space.  I used my rear view mirror and side mirrors angled downwards to park but I practiced every day for a couple of weeks because I wasn't used to using the side mirrors.  And now that I am used to parking that way, I actually prefer it to the way we do it up north.  The course is quite small.  One small circle with 3-4 stops and then parallel park.  The man giving the test is not in the car with you but just observes from the side.  One hint....use their car or you will have to exit the building which has no parking, get your car from a parking lot and then remove it immediately after finishing the test.  The day I did the test, the car was an automatic Jetta.  You only need to practice parallel parking on the driver's side.

4 hours ago, Earl said:

You must use the mirrors to parallel park. No looking backwards.

7 hours ago, Earl said:

Do you need to take a copy of the Mexican law with you that says that you do not have to take the driving test with your valid US license? If so, where can I find this law?

I imagine that the Mexican law says that you have to do road test and answer the test questions. Some testers decide on their own to forgo the written test.

A US driver´s licence is just that it is up to each state to decide what they need. WHen I came here I had a California licnce and I had to take a written test. no big deal.

Same in Chiapas I had to take the written test but they gave me the test for illiterate which I almost flunked...but they gave me the license anyways..

Erarl presenting the law to anyone down here is not a good idea. First go there and see what they want and what they ask of you, of course you should read the code and rules down herre since they are differences and it is in your interest to know them anythere,,Instead of spending time going on the attack do your homework and you will be fine.

Definitely agree with bmh   Flashing the law in front of a public servant would probably get you a "no pass" and you would need to come back. Mexicans are very proud and would consider such a confrontation as an insult 

The tests are a cinch. Go with the flow and they will help you all they can. My friend ran over a cone parallel parking and passed. Your best friend is a SMILE 

Archived