Chapala.com Webboard

Disabled veterans and people on SSDI at Lakeside

1)Does anyone have any issues with their VA disability payments living outside of the US?

2)And does anyone on SSDI have any issues receiving monthly benefits? I understand you must inform Soc. Security if you leave the US for more than 30 days if drawing SSDI but you can receive your benefits while living outside the US.

3)I know there is a clinic that treats service-connected veterans at Lakeside. Is this treatment charged to VA by the clinic? And is treatment ONLY for the actual service-connected disability (and not for any other medical issue)?

This should help for Question 3:

"

Health Care for Veterans Living Abroad (Excluding the Philippines)

The Foreign Medical Program (FMP) Office is responsible for determining eligibility for reimbursed medical treatment while traveling or residing abroad, except in the Philippines. Reimbursed medical care for U.S. Veterans residing or traveling in Canada and other foreign countries is limited to treatment for VA rated service-connected disabilities only. Generally, as long as the service is medically necessary for the treatment of a VA rated service-connected condition, it will be covered. In addition, the services must be accepted by VA and/or the U.S. medical community, such as the American Medical Association and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. An authorization to receive reimbursed medical treatment must be obtained from the FMP Office unless an emergency situation exists."

We have no problems receiving my husband's SSDI or his Veteran's Benefits.  We use the Foreign Medical Program, and there is a clinic at Lakeside, called Lakeside Medical Center that works with FMP, Champ, VA and other insurance companies.

I thought VA payments were all direct deposit now? Mine shows up on the first of each month like clockwork. 

This is my first time hearing that social security needs to be informed when leaving the country for extended periods. I don't know why that would be the case since ssdi payments aren't affected by your physical location. 

Eric

1 hour ago, ericandleslie said:

I thought VA payments were all direct deposit now? Mine shows up on the first of each month like clockwork. 

This is my first time hearing that social security needs to be informed when leaving the country for extended periods. I don't know why that would be the case since ssdi payments aren't affected by your physical location. 

Eric

Social Security Disabiliy [SSD] has possibly different rules than SSI benefits.

http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/faq/disability-benefits-living-overseas

https://www.ssa.gov/international/countrylist2.htm

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Archived