Chapala.com Webboard

Mariscos El Carnal now open

bradshoe

I drive past their new location in Riberas across from the Modelorama often and noticed last week there were tables and chairs set up inside.  On Tuesday it looked like they were actually open and yesterday there was signage up and I could see people sitting inside.  Anybody tried it yet?

This chain, with numerous locations including the one in "restaurant/speedbump" row (along the lakeside just to the east of San Juan Cosala) will have a tough time convincing the Lakeside folk that it's worth paying their high prices for very mediocre food at best.  We've been to several of this chain's locations over the years and there has never been anything remarkable or worth a re-visit!  It started as a family run operation in GDL but over the years the locations further afield have been franchised.  This very poor location will be a "tough sell" and the opening which is now almost a year later than first planned might suggest that there's already been unexpected difficulties.  I'll be very interested in what people think and..............hopefully perhaps this particular location might have an experienced restaurant owner/manager who's done his/her research before opening the doors.  Time will tell....quite quickly I think!

Did not eat there, but stopped by yesterday looking for the owner. Never seems to be there; too busy running his restaurant in Guadalajara. Checked out the menu: nothing special except maybe seafood soup ($165). Prices were high for this part of town.

13 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Did not eat there, but stopped by yesterday looking for the owner. Never seems to be there; too busy running his restaurant in Guadalajara. Checked out the menu: nothing special except maybe seafood soup ($165). Prices were high for this part of town.

$165 FOR SOUP?  That did it.:ph34r:

That is expensive if you think of it as just soup; but it is really a meal. I once had it in one of the Guadalajara locations and it was a delicious broth with lots of crab legs, claws, mussels, and other goodies included.  

Why are there so many complaints, when the posters have not yet had a meal there?

Well, I was kinda hoping that most of us know what's in a seafood soup here which is, as rv says, usually full of stuff. And I wasn't specifically saying that the soup was expensive, but everything else (in particular because you don't know how much good stuff you are going to get until you try it). But that price is still way above and beyond what I've ever paid around here for that kind of dish.

And seriously, I don't have to taste the food to comment on the menu prices, since I'm pretty certain based on reports of the other restaurants in the chain, that they aren't going to surprise any of us with eye-opening dishes. The price of the soup was just one I remembered; prices for most everything else I don't recall exact amounts, but you can believe when I say they were expensive.  $145 for three tacos? Must be pretty impressive, but thanks, I'll stick to my nice, full, tasty tacos on the plaza for 10p each.

Further, to me, an offsite owner in a new establishment is just asking for trouble.

13 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Well, I was kinda hoping that most of us know what's in a seafood soup here which is, as rv says, usually full of stuff. And I wasn't specifically saying that the soup was expensive, but everything else (in particular because you don't know how much good stuff you are going to get until you try it). But that price is still way above and beyond what I've ever paid around here for that kind of dish.

And seriously, I don't have to taste the food to comment on the menu prices, since I'm pretty certain based on reports of the other restaurants in the chain, that they aren't going to surprise any of us with eye-opening dishes. The price of the soup was just one I remembered; prices for most everything else I don't recall exact amounts, but you can believe when I say they were expensive.  $145 for three tacos? Must be pretty impressive, but thanks, I'll stick to my nice, full, tasty tacos on the plaza for 10p each.

Further, to me, an offsite owner in a new establishment is just asking for trouble.

Not complaining about the soup since I haven't eaten there.  With that high a price for soup, however, it tells me it's well out of my lunch budget range.  I don't like the below-the-road level location either. The site does make a difference. I had lunch today at Yves, with a nice breeze and a lovely environment to contemplate. I don't need to try this new place to know it's not my cuppa.  Offsite owner?  I agree with Computer Guy.

Archived