Chapala.com Webboard

Cleaning service vs. maids

10 hours ago, bennie2 said:

saturn, i did not "fire & rehire"- my garden/yard help was "occassionalmente". when my neighbor had her leaves raked, i asked the man to do mine after. i also had someone who worked for floresta who would come over when he was done working his regular job. (call him on his cell). he started raking leaves, later he would borrowed a machine to cut grass. he also would help w/repairs. what was great about this was that he liked to come on holidays, late afternoons, even sunday evenings. he also did my roof. except for the roof, he never had a set price. whatever i gave him was fine. he worked for me for several years. it could be 2-4 xs in a month & then i couldnt reach him. he didnt work for expats. he also would drive me to superlake after the garden & he made extra $. i would have used his wife & 2 other older ladies to clean IF i knew better. 1)

Bennie2, you must have misunderstood, as I wasn't clear. I was referring to your statement about employees being able to to quit and collect after 12 years. And that some people, to avoid complications, just get around it that way.

10 hours ago, bennie2 said:

saturn, the problem w/elderly expats is that many mexican workers take advantage. they would bring them to court even if they were there 2 days. there are lawyers here who specialize in this. they have many maids together as clients. they go to court & take 60% of the $ paid. dont know if this is still going on, but it was 10 years back. my mex friends father was a lawyer. 2)

So agree!. I have seen some real scams here. I don't have any employees and I don't want any. Less trouble that way, for so many reasons. But for some people, maybe they cannot do it themselves and they have your hire someone. 

Guest bennie2

if you fire, you have to pay severence for the time worked. if you RE hire & then fire again, you pay a second time. whats the point? youre paying in installemts rather than one big sum. several years ago my maid suggested that. i said perish the thought. she had somefeeling i was going to fire her so wanted to leave the situation open so she could come back AND make some $$. she had her friend call me in english who worked for a mean mex attorney. you get the picture. i held my ground. i won the battle. i wouldnt have even hired her in the beginning, its a long story. things happen & she wasnt my first choice.

Archived