Chapala.com Webboard

Registering Mexican car on a tourist visa

[I posted this yesterday with imprecise and possibly confusing visa references, thank you mudgirl for the clarification!]

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any *recent* experience registering a mexican car on an tourist  visa? I have read seriously conflicting reports on the matter for Jalisco, including one post on this site, but all from a few years back.

I've asked here in Guadalajara at a Recaudadora office, and they told me I could not without an FM2, but then I read posts by people in PV and Chapala who said that they have, so long as they have proof of residence. Has anyone done so? Would it be possible to buy a car in Guadalajara and then take it to register it in Chapala or PV?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies! For anyone else who comes after me wondering this same question, yes, it is possible, and quite easy, but in my experience ONLY in Chapala. 

Asking first at Recaudadora offices 000 - 004 in Guadalajara (as numbered here), offices 000, 002, and 004 each asked for proof of my legal residence in the country - visitante would not suffice (and yes, at 000 and 004 they asked by name for my FM2; judging from its use there and elsewhere it's still shorthand for legal residence visa; even the Chapala office has was seems a recently printed page on the wall citing the FM3!). Office 001 asked for my "FM" (I responded "mi FMM?" and "FM" was repeated to me), while at office 003 the man at the information desk confirmed that, yes, even with a visitante visa I can register the car no problem. 

Thus, having bought my car, I returned to office 003. My papers were seen by the first screening official and I was allowed in to wait to see the official who fully reviews your documents, confirms them, and sends you to pay. After looking over my facturas she asks for my passport, and then for my "FM3" (yes, my FM3). I note those no longer exist, she asks for the document which proves my "estancia legal en el país", I put forward my FMM, and she clarifies that she means my residence. I question whether that's necessary, as I know people here only as visitantes who have registered cars in their name, and she confirms yes, but "sólo hace poco". She then digs out from a drawer a memo, dated April 28th, 2016, which instructs officials approached to change the ownership of a car by a foreigner that they now MUST have legal residence in the country; visitantes are not permitted. 

She could tell that I was quite deflated at this conclusion, but lingering over my documents another moment she confirms that there ### nothing more she could do. Shaken by this, flying in the face of what I'd read and been told here and elsewhere (excepting, of course, the other Recaudadoras), I drive down to Chapala to see just where this new regulation was in force. Not in Chapala, not yet at any rate, as with no line I had my Tarjeta de Circulación in hand 15 minutes after arriving. 

Thanks again, I hope my experience comes in handy for someone else!

In some states they will accept a Mexican driver's license vs a TR or PR visa. Some states will issue a MX driver's license with a FMM such as GTO.

saludos

Sonia

A neighbor went to register an automobile yesterday in Jocotepec and the clerk explained that as of a month temporary residents can no longer own a car in Mexico, only permanent immigrants. Anyone else have this problem? Is this true? 

I know of no change in law and they cannot ask for immigration papers. 

• 2 months later...

FYI about buying mexican plated car with a tourist visa/FMM.  i was at the recaudadora in chapala 1 month ago and talked to the lady in the side office that does the transfers. i showed her my FMM and asked if i could buy a mexican registered/ plated car. she said YES no problem. 

TODAY i went by again and was told by the HEAD man there that you had to have a temporal or permanente to buy a mexican plated car. it is NOT allowed with an FMM/tourist visa. 

The details are in the language: You can buy a car on a tourist visa. You cannot register or get plates with a tourist visa.  You need a CURP, etc., which are only issued to legal residents; not to tourists.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

The details are in the language: You can buy a car on a tourist visa. You cannot register or get plates with a tourist visa.  You need a CURP, etc., which are only issued to legal residents; not to tourists.

You do not need a CURP in GTO state and doubt in most if not all states. The easiest way is a MX driver's license to register a vehicle and you do not need a CURP in GTO state for a driver's license nor a visa. If no MX driver's license then an utility bill in your name.

Rentas for vehicle registration is at the state level and may vary slightly from state to state but usually very similar. I have registered numerous vehicles. Some of my experiences are on my web site under "vehicles".

saludos

Sonia

RVGRINGO :The details are in the language: You can buy a car on a tourist visa. You cannot register or get plates with a tourist visa.  You need a CURP, etc., which are only issued to legal residents; not to tourists.

I don't believe that is true, either about cannot register or need a CURP.  Sonia knows what she talks about. More of us need to listen to what she says, and not try to ":interpret" what she says.

I thought Salto said he had proof that Sonia was correct, or did I misread that? Then why the hope? Is Salto a known ":liar"? How many can you personally verify that have been "turned away" in Chapala, or are you just using hearsay? Lets be a little more trusting, RV, especially with Sonia, as she deals with these types of things a lot more than you, or anyone else on this Board, no? :)

When you read a reply on this board you have to look at who posted it. Some of the posters don't live here and haven't lived here for years, but they like to reply on just about everything.. If you look back at previous replys you we'll see he has posted a lot of misinformation. 

Last November my neighbor registered a Mexican plated vehicle with a tourist visa.. 

Archived