Chapala.com Webboard

economic elder abuse

In case of economic abuse to an elderly pensionary retired, is the Consulate, able to help? I mean, if a so called *caregiver* or a live in helper commits psicological or economic abuse to an alone or sick woman, is there an US instance that can help with this situation here in Chapala?....not a Mexican Institution.  TIA

Yes, the consulate can help. If the person is receiving S.S. they will  stop the check and visit the person without notice. They will evaluate the situation and deal with it. i.e. contacting next of kin or placing said person into a facility.  

No problem Al. I have personal experience with problems like this. I wonder how many people remember a guy around Ajijic and Chapala. Mostly in bars called Carl the Eskimo. A very unusual story. We worked with the Consulate to get him back on his feet then the VA sent him to a Va home I think in Arizona. Just one case of many.

14 hours ago, Mx_Flwr said:

In case of economic abuse to an elderly pensionary retired, is the Consulate, able to help? I mean, if a so called *caregiver* or a live in helper commits psicological or economic abuse to an alone or sick woman, is there an US instance that can help with this situation here in Chapala?....not a Mexican Institution.  TIA

I would suggest that you try to obtain more information, like who is the next of kin. Consulates are usually  prompted by a next of kin. What evidence do you have?

You suggestion that there may be some fraud taking place would raise a Red Flag. Are you prepared to stand toe to toe with the alleged abuser.

Your also mention  the person maybe getting physically and or mentally abused. Perhaps your should obtain a qualified medical person to examine her, and then depending on the results take the evidence to the family members and or the Consulate

Your concern for the persons well being is commendable, but I think you must obtain more definitive evidence and try to find any family members. The consulate maybe able help you there.

Lastly does the person have a power of attorney? Get that person move to her to a different faculty?

Not to condone the "Psychological"  abuse, the fact that she is getting care, albeit with some alleged fraud taking place , maybe the best option for this person.

This is an example for all of us at Lakeside ,in particular, single persons , to make a Power of Attorney before it is "too late"

My experience with the consulate is awesome. They will have in a couple of hours the next of kin. Remember they have an incredible date base to find people.  I have with all my experience's had a remarkable experience with them.

go to the consulate first and they will take care of an American person....The consulate will sort out all of the above. Not too complicated.!!!  Good luck. If I can help contact me. Ron

lakesidecare.com

Archived