Chapala.com Webboard

New taxi service

According to informador.com tomorrow 26 may cabify will start operations to include metro zone of guadalajara and riberas de chapala.charges between 5 and 9 pesos per km.Already operating out of mexico city and monterrey etc could be an economic alternative for us here. Seems to be like a legal uber setup. No contact number given yet. 

Wow !  Compared to something like 450p using the Taxi booth at exit.  Can't imagine they'll be happy with that competition.

Actually, the more I think about it, can't imagine someone driving to and from Ajijic for approx $8USD  (I know, I know - I'm in Mexico, so USD should not apply - however, we all know the reality is that prices for products&services south of Guad proper definitely float with the Dollar

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The only cab I've taken in a long time was to the bus station. Anyone know what local fares are, say from el Torito to Chapala? Then we could do a km by km comparison.

On average, the taxi fare from El Torito to Chapala is usually between 80 and 100 pesos....

23 minutes ago, suegarn said:

On average, the taxi fare from El Torito to Chapala is usually between 80 and 100 pesos....

On a recent visit to Morelia, it was 25 p, throughout the city. We are being overcharged here, big time. 

7 hours ago, Gilligan said:

What is the "wait cost $ 148.65"?

Was that the total for the ride from the airport to Ajijic, or was that a part of the cost?

It makes a big difference.

It was an "8 minute wait" for the Uber ride which "cost 148.65" -- pesos, of course. We're in Mexico.

46 minutes ago, ficklepie said:

It was an "8 minute wait" for the Uber ride which "cost 148.65" -- pesos, of course. We're in Mexico.

I thought only "authorized taxis" could leave from the airport in Guad.

1 hour ago, ficklepie said:

Wow, that is a significant savings.  If they pick up Lakeside and drive to the airport for similar price that is quite the value.

I really don't know how they can make any money at those prices.  I guess they must only consider the price of gas.

Hard for me as well to see how this could be economic.  Basically, you were picked up at the airport and brought here for $10 U.S.

I hope you gave the guy a nice tip.

To use Uber here you have to have a cell phone app plus some sort of Mexican credit card??

I use UBER in Guadalajara (main city) all the time.  You set up an UBER account with a credit card. Mine is set up with a USA American Express. With the APP, you just request a car, get in and at your destination, get out. No tipping, no cash exchange.  I have never requested an UBER at the airport. Going to have to check that out.

WOW That is $8.05 USD While the airport taxi is $23.17 US.  The thing is, and we do it too, is that we get attached to our taxi drivers and will only call Juan, or Carlos, well you get the picture.  Same thing with the gas trucks, although the price of the gas has nothing to do with who is filling your tank.  It's just a trust issue, there.  Not sure what we'll do for our next ride to the airport.  Probably call our taxi guy.  The bond we have with our taxi driver transcends $15US, maybe because we know he has mouths to feed and bills to pay,  I suppose the Uber drivers do, as well.  The $15 means way more to the driver than it does to us.  So, yeah, we'll be in a little yellow taxi at 5 or 6 AM next time, because that, too, is a trust issue.  He trusts us to call him and not Uber.

Uber uses a smartphone app. No chapala pickups, but dropoffs yes. When you request a ride anc choose a car type they send you a picture of the driver, the license number of the car, and the time to pickup. The driver is sent your picture. They notify you many times. Like 8 minutes. 6 minutes etc. When you set up the account you can specify if you want tips. No cash involved. Uber is international so country of ccard is unimportant.  After ride you rate your driver. 

On 5/26/2016 at 10:43 AM, EX-PAT2011 said:

WOW That is $8.05 USD While the airport taxi is $23.17 US.  The thing is, and we do it too, is that we get attached to our taxi drivers and will only call Juan, or Carlos, well you get the picture.  Same thing with the gas trucks, although the price of the gas has nothing to do with who is filling your tank.  It's just a trust issue, there.  Not sure what we'll do for our next ride to the airport.  Probably call our taxi guy.  The bond we have with our taxi driver transcends $15US, maybe because we know he has mouths to feed and bills to pay,  I suppose the Uber drivers do, as well.  The $15 means way more to the driver than it does to us.  So, yeah, we'll be in a little yellow taxi at 5 or 6 AM next time, because that, too, is a trust issue.  He trusts us to call him and not Uber.

Do you have a number for Juan or Carlos? Do they work for a taxi company or are they independent drivers?

Archived