Chapala.com Webboard

Insurance Claims on Mexican plated vehicles only

If you have made a successful claim on your Mexican plated vehicle please share the name of that insurance company.

If your insurance agent was involved in that process and that involvement was very important in the process of your successful claim, please give their name and contact info.

Please, only first hand information. Mexican plated vehicles only. Thank you.

Me too using AXA through Jesus Tejeda.

Cracked windshield replaced as well as a front bumper. He took care of making appoimentments at one of the windshield companies on Lazaro Cardenas and then set me up with a body shop in Guadalajara for what was more than a trivial claim. He was helpful from beginning to end.

58 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Totalled vehicle. Qualitas, S&S auto.  

I'm curious... how did that 'total' turn out?  Did the insurance pay out a reasonable amount (ever how one figures THAT out in Mexico!)?

1 hour ago, moonhill said:

Ours was totaled. Qualitas paid considerably less than the value. Claim took three months to process. Agent useless I will not give their name.

Qualitas pre determines the value of your vehicle in case of a "total loss" and shows it on the policy.

That is the time to discuss vehicle value if you disagree.

The premium is partially based on the vehicle value.

RickS,

The policy has the value of the car listed on it.  We had a 5% deductible.   It took 2 weeks for Qualitas to "enter" the claim in their system, this upset us a little.  We went to GDL to fill out papers and receive the finiquito.  Once that was completed, payment was received in our bank account within 15 days.   Total time - 5 weeks.

Yes the value is "pre-determined" and shows on the policy. The settlement they offered was far less that what we had insured it for and what was printed on the policy and that is why it took three months to fight it. In the end they gave us no choice but to accept the measly settlement or continue to fight it with an unknown outcome. There was never a question about the claim being legitimate or not, only the amount they were willing to pay.

Although I have never had to make an insurance claim, one thing I found rather disturbing is that the value of my Mexican plated vehicle is determined by the insurance company (HDI, but when I had Qualitas it was the same) based on the NOB blue book value, as the vehicle was imported from the US, not by me, but by some previous owner. As used vehicles are considerably more expensive here than in the US or Canada, this really irked me, as if I do have an accident, the value listed is much less than what I purchased the vehicle for in Mexico, nor would it be sufficient to buy a similar replacement. When I pointed out to the insurance agent that once a vehicle has been legally imported and plated, it seems wrong to determine the value as if it would be replaced in case of loss in the US, she called the insurance company, whose reply was, that's just how they do it.

Just as bad is the fact that the extremely low valuation given to my vehicle was based upon brand name, model within brand name and year. Nothing else. No condition, or added equipment or mileage. They never even looked at the car. Nothing. Valuation is about 60% of what I paid for it, less the deductible!!

Recent experience this past week with roadside assistance.  Qualitas through Bellon.  Broke down on Hwy. 2 crossing the Altar Desert - twice!!

First time took Qualitas about 3.5 hrs. to get a tow truck to me and had to get Andre involved to find out what was going on and why the delays.  Second time near Soyotlan and they were responsive and to me in 90 minutes.  I'n not pleased with the choice of auto mechanic I was dropped of with to make repairs but that is not the fault of Qualitas.

Bellon just called me with a comparable price and policy for my vehicle as Qualitas, but increases my vehicle's value by 15,000 closer to real value.

My concern is that the company is called GNP. Never heard of them. Does anyone have any info?

Unless you purchase a policy with a "specified value" (rare policy usually antique vehicles) the value shown on your policy is only an estimate and the maximum they will pay. The actual value at the time of loss will be the amount offered, less the deductible.Usually the actual value is less than you expect. 

Archived