Chapala.com Webboard

Get to know your steak.

JRPJR

With the beef grading debate of a year or so ago in mind, I though some might enjoy this compliments of TJ,s (I buy many things there, but not beef)  

We want to help you get to know your steak. There’s no time like the present. The fact that we are approaching the unofficial kick-off to grilling season only raises the steakes.

In the following steakeout, we surveil the quality, cut, and appeal of every steak in the Trader Joe’s label. To put it in context, we cursorily survey the standards for assessing beef across America and provide a brief overview of beef cuts. Then we zoom in to acquaint you with each grade and cut we offer, highlighting unique characteristics and handling tips. Finally, to get you good and fired up for grilling season, we’ve outlined straightforward steps that make strides toward successful steak—however you like it.

steak grading prime, choice, select

Making the Grade

The grading process is like the ultimate cattle call—for cattle.  It started around the 1920s, when the livestock and meat retail industry wanted to make recognizable (i.e. marketable) the distinction of meat quality. Looking to the Federal Government, they lobbied for and realized a standardized beef grading and stamping system, so that it could be made clear which beef is the meat that demands a higher price. This grading program has since been under the purview of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). 

The USDA assigns grades based on an assessment of quality, which is objectively measured based on the amount of internal marbling (or fat) and physiological age of the animal (determined by characteristics of bone, cartilage, etc.). The higher the ratio of marbling and the younger the beef, the higher the grade. On the flip side—the leaner & older the beef, the lower the grade. There are eight distinct grades of beef recognized by the USDA. Though similar to academic grading— A+, A, A- —there are degrees within each grade. Of the eight grades, the top four are generally sold at retail, so we’re staying focused on those:

PRIME – Superior grade with abundant marbling; excellent juiciness, flavor, and fine texture; only about 2% of beef is graded as prime & it is generally found in restaurants or boutique butchers
CHOICE – Excellent grade of beef with moderate to small marbling, which results in a slight textural difference, but is still very juicy and full flavored; typically, it’s the highest grade of beef sold at retailers
SELECT – Very good grade of beef with slight marbling; not quite as juicy and full flavored but very reliable steaks, often sold at retailers and restaurants
STANDARD/UNGRADED – As their name suggests, these cuts of beef come from cattle that actually are not graded, which is common because the grading process adds costs; generally, these are leaner cuts that have only traces of marbling; can be tremendous values

Here's a question for you. I was driving by the slaughter house the other day, only a brief look, but I swear there was a 1,000 lb carcass there, ready to be loaded in the back of a pickup. It looked like an Ox - do they have Oxes locally? It may have been a very large Brahma or Charlebois. So the question is - do different breeds of cattle make steaks better? I have bought into the Angus claims, but I was unimpressed. No marbling, little flavor (this was Mexican Angus). I think it takes lots of corn to make marbling.

Most Americans consider Angus the most flavorful and ranchers like it because the steers mature quickly so less time to market. Wagyu, which is very trendy now , is the American of Kobe beef and due to the "secret" diet the beef is fed it is very heavily marbled. It is very tender but also very expensive and so heavily marbled that you are really paying for a lot of fat. 

I agree with you that it is all about what they eat in the feed lot and I am not a fan of grass fed beef. To each his or her own.      

There are several places on the internet to purchase "Kobe LIKE Steaks" for just under $1000US / 11Pounds..for Rib Eyes. Please notice the "Like" as none are "Real Japanese   Kobe beef. A well marbled Angus Steak is as good as it gets for 99% of the steak eaters..

• 1 month later...

Archived