Chapala.com Webboard

flights from Albuquerque to GDL

I live near Albuquerque and would like to make a trip down to Lakeside for some dentistry et al next month. I'm finding the airfares very high to GDL. The only reasonable fares are from hubs like PHX and DFW. Unfortunately, both of these cities (like eveything here in the Southwest) are vast distances from ABQ. I know that some hotels will allow you to park free if you stay at least one night preceding your departure, but you're still looking at an 840 mile drive round trip in near 100 degree heat plus the expense of a night's stay (very likely two nights-one night on the return from GDL as few would be up to facing a 419 mile drive from Phoenix to ABQ after the flight from GDL to Phoenix).

Anyone on this forum have experience flying from ABQ to GDL ? 

Part of the problem is that airfares are just high these days... and even higher once summer arrives. The other problem, as you've stated, is that ABQ is close to nowhere and probably not a good place from which to fly.  I realize that this adds to your cost, but flying ABQ to Phoenix is not that expensive... instead of 'making that drive in 100 degree plus' twice.

Another alternative, although it too is a 4-hour drive for you, is cheaper and that is driving to El Paso... funny but no one flies that route!

Volaris Airlines has a direct flight from across the border in Juárez to Guadalajara for around  $135 Round Trip (special rate but 'always' less than $200).

Would you have to park your car somewhere in El Paso and take a taxi from the US side to the Juarez airport? Sounds rather risky. Much rather just fly from ABQ to GDL but the airfare is $563 (cheapest I can find) on all the major search engines. It's about $349 from PHX or DFW to GDL with a return. You're paying to fly east-west to an airline hub before starting your journey south.

Oh, the pitfalls of not living closeby to a hub city are many if you want to travel.

Will the reduced cost of your dentistry be enough to cover all those costs or are you planning to come anyway and have the savings partially subsidize your trip?

You could always take the greyhound down to a border town like El Paso, take a taxi to the border, walk across, then take another taxi to the Omnibus station, and take a very comfortable Omnibus down to Guadalajara.  I went up to Laredo last summer on the bus, it was only around 800 pesos or around $50 USD from Guadalajara.  You could plan on getting to the border by early afternoon cross over and plan on taking the night bus and you will get to Guadalajara the next morning.

I'm flying to Albuquerque out of Guad in a few weeks and found that my only option was routing through Phoenix with American Airlines, and then on to Albuquerque with one of the AA commuter flights. Coming back I go through Los Angeles. Not very long layovers though so I don't think it's too bad.

One can take Volaris to Phoenix and then Southwest to ABQ.  That seems to be the cheapest option but it requires you pick up your luggage in Phoenix and recheck it to ABQ.  Volaris, American and Southwest are all in terminal 4.

You can fly to Europe cheaper than going to ABQ.  That was one of the major reasons the city and state remain a backwater.  Very poor and expensive air service.  We found it to be a real draw back in the 10 years we lived there.

I'm going to fly out of Phoenix to Guadalajara in the middle of Nov with Volaris Airlines to visit friends in Lake Chapala for the first time for 2 at $439.00 return USD. anybody have any suggestions or ideas for a safe trip. thanks in advance for any info. 

Archived