Chapala.com Webboard

Santorini water scam

There is a truck with a large Santorini logo, just like the real Santorini factory truck, doing "Santorini" deliveries.  We called one of the numbers given here on Chapala.com and this truck appeared and completely fooled us.  The man on the truck gave us several bottles of water in the regular Santorini bottles. When we later saw the real Santorini employee we have dealt with for years, Mauricio, he said the water we had been given was not Santorini water and that we could tell the bottles were not filled at the Santorini facility because the bottles had white caps and the plastic tape around the cap that did not say "Santorini".  Real Santorini bottles have blue caps and the tape around the top of the bottle says "Santorini". 

The number for Mauricio, the real Santorini employee, is 33-15-12-38-74. Sounds like "What`s My Line". Remember the TV show?

I don`t think the mis-branded water will make you sick, many people are drinking it. But it`s not Santorini which I consider to be the safest, the best. And I my be under a bit of misapprehension in that opinion but it`s what I believe.

There are several water filtering plants who do a perfectly good job of providing bottled water to people who don't want to pay Santorini prices. Some are better than others. While this is clearly a scam, I doubt that the water is dangerous. More like misrepresented.

Yes, I agree. Even though it`s not Santorini water I don`t think there is anything wrong with it. A lot of people are buying off this "fake" Santorini truck. However, at least with this truck, the price was the same as with real Santorini water. In my largely expat neighborhood.

Water can look clear, and taste fine, and still be contaminated, and make people very sick. Has anyone tested it? If the people are selling this as Santorini water, when it isn't, do you really trust them to be selling purified water?

You need a TDS meter.  The water is done here with reverse osmosis and less honest folks try to stretch the life of the filters.  I make my own drinking water and it tastes better than the reverse osmosis water.  Its about the same cost but you get whole house clean and softened water. I would never go back to buying my water by the jug. If you do drink bottled water add a cup of mineral water and it will taste much better.

2 hours ago, lcscats said:

You need a TDS meter.  The water is done here with reverse osmosis and less honest folks try to stretch the life of the filters.  I make my own drinking water and it tastes better than the reverse osmosis water.  Its about the same cost but you get whole house clean and softened water. I would never go back to buying my water by the jug. If you do drink bottled water add a cup of mineral water and it will taste much better.

Be aware that a TDS meter doesn't measure water purity-just total dissolved solids.

On 5/26/2016 at 9:38 PM, Saturn said:

Water can look clear, and taste fine, and still be contaminated, and make people very sick. Has anyone tested it? If the people are selling this as Santorini water, when it isn't, do you really trust them to be selling purified water?

To me, this is like being sold a can with a Campbells' soup label on it, (which  means the company stands by its product) and discovering that it's soup from a mystery source which may or may not be testing it to see if it's fit for human consumption.  Strictly fraudulent.

Archived