Chapala.com Webboard

Renewing Seguro Popular policy

1 hour ago, Lulugirl said:

I thought you couldn't have private insurance with Seguro Popular???

The rules states for all Mexican socialized medicine systems, Seguro Popular, ISSSTE, IMSS etc. "when joining any of these you cannot belong to any of the other Mexican socialized medicine insurance plans not private medical insurance plans. You can have as much private medical insurance in Mexico or anywhere else in the World or socialized medicine plans from other countries as you like without breaking any rules here in Mexico.

I didn't see this thread before posting one of my own above about SP. I intimated I was considering not renewing my Best Drs. policy because I have medicare in the US and just wanted a way to receive quality treatment here until, and if, I chose to return to the states. I only wanted opinions on replacing best DR.s with SP. I understand everyone has a different situation. I'm 68, healthy as far as heart, or internal medical problems. I understand about flights to the states. I am just wondering if a lot of folks here feel SP is all they need while in Mexico. Thanks

6 hours ago, elevator said:

I didn't see this thread before posting one of my own above about SP. I intimated I was considering not renewing my Best Drs. policy because I have medicare in the US and just wanted a way to receive quality treatment here until, and if, I chose to return to the states. I only wanted opinions on replacing best DR.s with SP. I understand everyone has a different situation. I'm 68, healthy as far as heart, or internal medical problems. I understand about flights to the states. I am just wondering if a lot of folks here feel SP is all they need while in Mexico. Thanks

SP is very plain, nothing fancy, but for some people,  it gets the job done. It doesn't provide pain pills for surgical pain like a commercial hospital can. You might wait longer for some treatments like cataract surgery or knee replacement than if you are paying out of pocket. It does not provide all medicines like a regular hospital will such as some cancer drugs. SP is a teaching hospital so it has a lot of student nurses and doctors who try very hard to do a good job.

It all depends on what you need and what you can tolerate. Anything major that isn't an emergency, you might prefer going home and using Medicare or VA.

On 5/21/2016 at 2:36 PM, maw7815 said:

I didn't know it had to be renewed.

Is it only good for a year?

maw

Is good for three years, and you can find your expiration date right on the policy.  Second paragrap on the writting below the member name are four paragraphs; second paragraph states that has to be renewed and mine gives me a date which in my case is June 16, 2016.  It also states that I can renew from May 17 to July 16, 2016.  Thanks for reminding me.  

Archived