Chapala.com Webboard

Best Steak Place

Wookie

Well, finally decided on the Baseball filet at Bruno's and I have to say it was terrible.  It was so tough it was very difficult to cut even with the sharp knife they supply and cutting with the grain. All you could really taste was whatever was charred onto the outside.   Then it just got bigger the more I chewed.  Very disappointing ... the fries would have been delicious if only they had not emptied the salt shaker on them.  A street dog was very happy with the steak, however.

We have had good experiences here in the past and decided to go for good food vs. ambiance.  Too bad there was neither on this day as far as the steak was concerned.  The chopped sirloin was apparently very good as it disappeared from my husband's plate before my meal was even delivered....which is another personal gripe of mine.  I prefer to eat my meal with the person I am dining with .... oh, well.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, Wookie said:

I will have to give all this some thought :)  Bruno's baseball steak has been good in the past but his side dishes and the place itself doesn't do much for me.  The front of the restaurant is much too hot now and the back is dark and dank.  I would like a little nicer place to sit and have a really good steak, salad, some veggies and a glass of good wine.  

I agree wookie. Try Arileo or La Carreta.

Does anyone know the days open and hours of La Carreta? It is usually closed when I'm in the area. Facebook says they open at noon but it was still closed at 12:30 the other day.

3 hours ago, Carnivore said:

We went to La Carreta last week.  Interesting but not worth the time or drive.  Vacio tough and undercooked.  Salad bar minimal.  Beans like soup and ribs (Norteno) inedible and burnt.  Tango is still the overall winner consistently......in our opinion!

Ah, you ordered the wrong thing. ;-) In Mexico, you must order the arrachera or steak is always a gamble. Sorry, thought that was common knowledge. :) Of course, the one time I ordered it at Tango it wasn't so hot. "Soupy beans" -- this sounds like beans de la olla, a traditional way to serve them.

Our son was in town last week and we took him and our grandson out to eat at Yves.  I had the Filet Mignon and he had the Rib Eye.  Both were outstanding!  Yves said his meat comes from Sonora.  It was so tender you could cut it without a knife. The salad bar was excellent- the roasted beets were sooo good!  We also had a photo op with Vino Blanco and Martini the resident white burros.  The setting is beautiful- much nicer than Bruno's.  It is now my favorite restaurant!

maw

Archived