Chapala.com Webboard

Best Steak Place

Wookie

La Carreta in Jocotopec is a very good choice for meat lovers.

Drive into Jocotoped and turn left, as you must, as you pass the square. La Carreta is about a block south, on your left, with the sign high over the doorway showing a cart or wagon. Park wherever you can.

On 5/21/2016 at 7:11 AM, Al Berca said:
2 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Arileo.

Arileo steak house. Try prime rib Fridays. Reservations suggested or they may have sold out by the time you arrive.

Prime rib there is utterly Sinful Pleasure.  By the time you've consumed that Special including the dessert, you'll hardly be able to walk.  But all is delicious.

1 hour ago, garmemorial said:

Monte Coxala

Brunos

Arileo

None of them know how to cook Prime rib

Visit Lawrys in USA and you will learn what is Prime rib

Even if that's correct, garmemorial, it's not much help.  The OP is looking for places in Lakeside, not the U.S.!  :huh:

49 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Even if that's correct, garmemorial, it's not much help.  The OP is looking for places in Lakeside, not the U.S.!  :huh:

I grew up in L.A.  Lawry's does have very good prime rib; no question. Fat lot of good knowing that does me here in Lakeside. :lol: 

Meanwhile, in the real world of dining out, I can't complain about the places recommended on here.  Good meals at lower than NOB prices.  How bad is that?

I gave up on Arileo months ago, after they butchered (no pun) three ribeyes in a row. The last time I had one at Tango, it was still the best, but I can no longer deal with the noise, the flying elbows of the staff from too-crowded tables, and the declining quality of their appetizers.

Cocinart, which I really really like, serves only average steak at best (which I expect at a place that doesn't specialize in steak). I've had a very good vaccio at Los Telares, but they are amazingly inconsistent. Gaucho Tequila had a very good steak (over-priced), but not a "great" steak, considering that is its specialty.

I would be happy to find a new standard for steaks "locally", but getting to Joco is a pain.

I will have to give all this some thought :)  Bruno's baseball steak has been good in the past but his side dishes and the place itself doesn't do much for me.  The front of the restaurant is much too hot now and the back is dark and dank.  I would like a little nicer place to sit and have a really good steak, salad, some veggies and a glass of good wine.  

OK, I offer an idea for the best steak. It is often said that the best steak comes from your own backyard. Costco at Galerias, weekends only, they have some prime grade bone-in rib eyes in sizes from about 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" thick. The last one I bought was $470p/kilo, or $11.67 lb for US and $15.15 for Canadians. That is a bargain considering prime cuts like NY and RE are over $20 lb in the US these days. 

You can cook it on charcoal or gas to your liking or pan fry and finish in a 350 deg oven. 

Had a steak at Tango last night. Doubt that I'll go back. Had to send my veggies back because they were cold. Hate their so-called mashed potatoes. And, very expensive. I guess the Tapatios will eat anything. Very underwhelming. 

15 minutes ago, kiminmexico said:

I guess the Tapatios will eat anything. 

I've never understood all the Tapatio bashing by foreigners on this forum...

15 hours ago, kiminmexico said:

Had a steak at Tango last night. Doubt that I'll go back. Had to send my veggies back because they were cold. Hate their so-called mashed potatoes. And, very expensive. I guess the Tapatios will eat anything. Very underwhelming. 

I'm no fan of Tango's.  However, your statement underlined everything that's wrong with too many expats' attitudes toward the population of the country they moved to.

Let's turn that sentence around and see how it sounds:  "I guess those gringos will eat anything".  Nice, eh?

15 minutes ago, gringal said:

Let's turn that sentence around and see how it sounds:  "I guess those gringos will eat anything".  Nice, eh?

So true though! For example I wouldn't be shoving all that fat and red meat down my gob without knowing if it was heavily juiced with hormones and antibiotics. Would these restaurants even know if you asked them? About the only way I know is to get a small buying group together, agree on what breed you want, find a farmer to raise it as naturally as possible, buy extra corn for marbling, professionally butchered and wrapped. And guess what - that is old school Tapatio style! Except that they know how to slaughter and carve their own meats.

Archived