Chapala.com Webboard

Online TIP - Applied but now what?

Cincy

Applied for my TIP online yesterday ready for travel in a couple of weeks.  No problems with the forms - selected 30 days of insurance and paid for everything with a credit card.  I was expecting an email confirmation but nothing.  Is this normal?  Do I just wait for it to arrive in the mail one day?

Mine usually comes DHL in 3-5 days.  I can't remember whether there is/was some sort of 'confirmation' given, either at the end or with an email.

Also, I am curious about your '30 days of insurance' comment. Is Mexico now selling car insurance within that online procedure?

They send out in 2 days and since January are sending from Texas, US express 2 day mail. 

Towards the end of the online TIP application there was an option to purchase insurance at different levels of coverage over a range of different periods (10, 30, 60, 180 days, I think).  No email confirmation, although my email was provided, but the fees have now shown up on the credit card.

Remember you pay the deposit fee plus an import permit fee and the exchange rate is high and they are in dollars then converted to pesos and then back to dollars on your credit card. 

For anyone who is interested...

• Applied for TIP & 30 day insurance Thursday May 19
  • TIP and letter of insurance arrived in mail (USPS - Priority) Monday May 23.  It was sent from the Banjercito in Dallas, TX.

I'm rather impressed with the quick turnaround!

• 4 weeks later...

Spencer, how much is the import permit fee these days?  I got mine at the Banjercito booth at the 21 km point outside Nogales.  Including the $400 deposit, the total bill on my credit card came to just over $475.  Ouch.

• 1 month later...

Immigration link

Sometimes with the exchange rate the cost can be higher or lower, Mx Banjercito is quoting 18.50 pesos to the dollar, then convert to dollars, charge in pesos, back to dollars by your bank.

3 hours ago, Happy2trvl said:

Thank you for your help.  This year I have a temporary visa, so when I am entering the information for the TIP, do I use the number on my visa?  I would like to keep the car in Mexico for the year.

really appreciate your help

Get the TIP at the border when you enter. The FMM "canje" part you will fill out is for 30 days and the TIP will also be given to you for 30 days. The online Banjercito TIP website doesn´t have the "Canje" FMM card option. It has the 180 day FMM tourist card option. Don´t apply online for that option for pre-approval for a 180 day FMM tourist card to get an online TIP sent to your home to save  few minutes at the border when you enter Mexico. If you do it will screw up your paperwork and you will have to return to the border and get the correct "Canje" FMM card.

Archived