Chapala.com Webboard

Hospice Care at Lakeside

2 hours ago, Willie said:

I wish someone would look at Hospice Mazatlán as a model of what could be done here with by those with health care experience...it is a fabulous organization with legal non-profit designation AND has garnered a number of federal and state recognition s and assistance.

You are comparing a city/municipality of about a half million people to lakeside. This area does not have the resources (financial or human) to do a comparable job.   

• Like 1

I highly recommend Lakeside Care.  There is a post from them on this thread.  They helped me with my Mom though we kept her at home.  They supplied the nurses and they were supervised very closely.  Ron and Sarah can't be beat in my opinion.  They offer a wide range of services.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willie said:

Xena...before making the assumption about population, check out Hospice Mazatlan...you might just be surprised.

Remember that it is not just for the foreign community.

I do not understand your response. I made no assumption or comment about the composition of the population, simply mentioned  the number of people. 

• Like 3

Just that it would serve ALL of Lakeside, not just the foreign community...actually quite a large population.

You appear to be making assumptions about the population of lakeside. What is the total of this “quite a large population”? I am going to take a wild guess and say nowhere near a half a million people. 

I would agree about the total population here but then not all of the half million use the hospice services either but the overwhelming majority of their clients have been Mexicans.  It is a service deserved by all.

I am not at all arguing against hospice care services. In my original response to you, I only said you were comparing a city/municipality of about a half million people to lakeside and that this area does not have the resources to do a comparable job.   The entire population of an area does not need to use a service. However, there must be a large enough pool of people to get and keep the service going as well as to utilize it. It may be possible to establish and successfully run a hospice service lakeside, but it can not be like what has been done in Matzanlan. By the way, I have worked for hospice both as an employee and volunteer, so I have experienced the realities. There have been several attempts to begin a hospice program lakeside. They have not been successful for various reasons, including the one about eight years ago where newcomers swept in with plans and dreams and visions. They  left with money in their own pockets and no hospice service here.

4 hours ago, Xena said:

I am not at all arguing against hospice care services. In my original response to you, I only said you were comparing a city/municipality of about a half million people to lakeside and that this area does not have the resources to do a comparable job.   The entire population of an area does not need to use a service. However, there must be a large enough pool of people to get and keep the service going as well as to utilize it. It may be possible to establish and successfully run a hospice service lakeside, but it can not be like what has been done in Matzanlan. By the way, I have worked for hospice both as an employee and volunteer, so I have experienced the realities. There have been several attempts to begin a hospice program lakeside. They have not been successful for various reasons, including the one about eight years ago where newcomers swept in with plans and dreams and visions. They  left with money in their own pockets and no hospice service here.

Beware of those NOB snake oil sales people, not just medicines 

• 2 years later...

I am planning to live in the Lake Chapala area, and I currently live in Boquete, Panama.  We have had a Hospice group here for many years. It was organized by the expat community and it serves the entire population of our district.  Boquete Health and Hospice has a website www.boquetehealth.org  with extensive information. Very worth investigation

7 hours ago, ThreeDogNight said:

I am planning to live in the Lake Chapala area, and I currently live in Boquete, Panama.  We have had a Hospice group here for many years. It was organized by the expat community and it serves the entire population of our district.  Boquete Health and Hospice has a website www.boquetehealth.org  with extensive information. Very worth investigation

Oh good..... another newbie going to come here and tell us how to run things.