Chapala.com Webboard

OK so what Does Zika mean to us????

So lets have an serious conversation on Zika and the other problems that are in our local day dwelling mosquitos.

Fact:  Our local day dwelling skeeter does have Dengue and  probably will have Zika at some point unless something changes.

Fact:  Lets talk about it now rather than later.   Screens, Bug Zappers, Deet   Whatever

The following is what I am thinking and what I have experienced and lets go and try to be civil please or I will never try this again.

The Zika pictures and information scare me.  Seen the pictures of rash no less the babies in Brazil??   So I have very severe screens in house and don't worry as I live high on the hilll which has much less skeeters than lower Ajijic in my opinion.  But I have no idea whether to bath myself in Deet (controversial insect repellant but effective???) when I go out.  Should I get rid of my croc hunter shorts??  We were just in Jamaca and many of us got bit to death.  Luckily I didn't.  So why didn't I get bit but my wife had 30 bites and yes Zika is in Jamaca also on one of the major beaches. We had planned to go to that beach but cancelled. Think about what that means to the locals when we did not go and than the issue of  who are exposed??  Not a pleasant topic for me as we avoided that beach on a planned trip  feeling sorry but not guilty for running away.

I don't claim to be educated but I have read up on things.

What do folks think???

If you go on the net and read some, Zika has been around for quite a while, decades, maybe longer.

There's a big controversy about whether the birth defects are caused by Zika or not.

I'm not going to get in a panic over it.  If I go out late in the afternoon or early in the morning, I spray on some Deet because I don't want to be bitten, Zika or not.  Also, a fan moving some air will keep them off of you outside pretty well.

I rate the risk pretty low.  Driving through the intersection at Walmart is 1000s of times more hazardous, IMHO.

53 minutes ago, cbviajero said:

How many cases of zica have there been in Jalisco?

Why don't you go find out and tell us?  So I said in the original post that its not here in large numbers.   I want to talk about it so we can prepare just because you don't think its here doesn't mean its not going to be here.   Have you seen the pictures of the rash and the babies????     If no go look at them.   I would not want the rash no less the sad babies.

1 hour ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

I think this current article pretty much answers all your questions:

https://www.journeymexico.com/blog/the-zika-virus-in-mexico-what-you-need-to-know

A quote from the article:

"If you are not a woman of childbearing age, pregnant or trying to get pregnant, the Zika virus is unlikely to cause you any serious trouble."

Its from a travel company making money from tourists in Mexico.   Get real!!

43 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Not sure I can handle one more thing to be unnecessarily worried about.

Maybe you are right and maybe you are going to be suprised in the future.   What is your evidence that we are not going to be exposed to Zika in the future??.   Remember I am talking about the future not right now.  

Dismissing stuff without any data is pretty useless folks.   

53 minutes ago, jrm30655 said:

If you go on the net and read some, Zika has been around for quite a while, decades, maybe longer.

There's a big controversy about whether the birth defects are caused by Zika or not.

I'm not going to get in a panic over it.  If I go out late in the afternoon or early in the morning, I spray on some Deet because I don't want to be bitten, Zika or not.  Also, a fan moving some air will keep them off of you outside pretty well.

I rate the risk pretty low.  Driving through the intersection at Walmart is 1000s of times more hazardous, IMHO.

What about future risk?? Yes I know it is low right now here.   How would we stop it.  What if we were told it was here what would you do??  I don't see the controversy about whether the Birth defects are Zika or not.   Why do folks think its not Zika that causes the poor pathetic babies???    I thought the US government says its Zika.  Yes low risk now but I want us to think about what if it got here not what it is now.

10 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Its from a travel company making money from tourists in Mexico.   Get real!!

I believe you suggested this should stay civil...."Get real!!"  as a response is not my idea of civil. Need I say more?

Come on folks I don't care if you tell me I am full of crap but give me something to read or work with.  Zika is not related to Birth Defects in Brazil show some evidence please. This could become a problem if it gets here and it probably will.

7 minutes ago, mod-3 said:

I believe you suggested this should stay civil...."Get real!!"  as a response is not my idea of civil. Need I say more?

Ok sorry on the get real but using a travel company as evidence can't you see how thats not appropriate without disclosing?  

"What do folks think?"  Folks disagree with your assessment and get raked over the coals not only because we disagree with it, but because we do not provide anecdotal references that are acceptable to you.

Not really sure you are interested in what "folks" think.

Ajijic_hiker hit the nail on the head. Nothing to worry about unless you have nothing better to do.

7 minutes ago, cbviajero said:

I did.there were two cases of zica reported in Jalisco..

Thats what I read.  Now scary is down south with 200 plus cases.  What will stop it from coming here???  Would your friends and relatives  come to visit if they  knew we had Zika (in future if it did come here)?? Thanks for looking the number up.

30 minutes ago, lcscats said:

You are saying it will never get here or nothing to worry about now? 

Nothing to worry about ever if you aren't going to get pregnant.

I have not read all this thread yet, so maybe this is repeat guidance for avoiding bug bites. When I worked in the bush in Northern Quebec and Labrador, the mosquito's, black flies and deer fly were so thick you could hardly avoid breathing them in. 135 black flys was my count from simply slamming my small notebook shut. That's how many were smashed between the shut pages. They become especially crazy and voracious when it is about to rain. Some sort of a breeding opportunity I think.

Anyway these are some of the things that helped keep them away or at least control their presence, some of these may be adaptable for here:

• Avoid getting irritated by the bugs. Bugs can somehow sense this and it makes them swarm around you more. They especially love going for whatever it is you exhale, especially when irritated. They love alcohol breath.
  • If they are swarming anyway, turn to face the wind, they will go behind you.
  • Avoid any and all things perfumed, including laundry and hand soaps, shampoos etc etc Using unscented soaps wherever needed works wonders.
  • Avoid tight clothing. The hot spots attract the bugs, Black flies especially like it around wrist bands, belts, hat bands and ankle boot tops.
  • Bugs love bright clothes, beige is your color of choice to limit the bug bites.  We did experiments. Someone wearing beige standing next to the red or blue shirt, and the red and blue got all the bites. So beige is your color of choice or any earthy neutral color that blends in with your surrounding.
  • Sleep with a bug net at all times (I do this here every rainy season, starting before the bugs come out)
  • Vitamin B12 can work for  while, but is no guarantee.
  • DEET works wonders but remember its a paint stripper too and can melt anything plastic you touch, so use only if in dire need. Try to spray it on the clothes and avoid the skin. Off now sells a clip you can hang on your belt that seems to work the same way a dogs flea collar works.
  • Standing in a smoking fire helps, but not too desirable in itself.
  • Smearing petroleum or other thick jelly or cream (unscented) around the exposed areas like wrists, ankles, necklines, provides a physical barrier but can wear off quickly.
  • Long sleeves and long pants are great, if the bugs are real bad, tuck your pants into your socks.
  • Don't forget to apply cream or bug spray behind your ear. Bugs love the thin skin and blood vessels back there.

That's all the bug lore I can think of for now. Do what you want with it....

LCScats, you are the one determined to be worried so why should those who are not spend their time looking for information that will make you feel better? You voice your opinion over why you are worried. When other people tell you why they are not worried you become angry with them. Worry if you want to. Obsess over it. Research it and protect yourself in whatever way you feel is necessary. But, do not become irate because others are not sharing your obsession. 

• mod-3 locked this topic

Archived