Chapala.com Webboard

Success getting Mexican plates for Canadian car

8 hours ago, desertdave said:

My friend said they had their car "legalized" not "nationalized" through Mexico City.  Is there such a thing or is this just part of the scam?

Scam

There is only one way to make a foreign plated car legal leading to obtaining plates from a Mexican state and that is through Aduana who issues a pedimento and an approved broker who issues a factura. If in doubt drive it to Aduana and ask. :-) Or go and get local plates and emissions test. End of discussion! 

saludos

Sonia

This is a little off topic. But.........there are quite a few people here who are Permanentes driving foreign plated vehicles thinking they are insured. From what I've been told, they are NOT insured because the vehicle is technically illegal. Drive very carefully folks.

2 hours ago, kiminmexico said:

This is a little off topic. But.........there are quite a few people here who are Permanentes driving foreign plated vehicles thinking they are insured. From what I've been told, they are NOT insured because the vehicle is technically illegal. Drive very carefully folks.

Absolutely spot on!

If you, or your loved ones, are in a vehicle which has been "totaled", I would think you would have a lot more things to worry about than getting a few pesos from a weasel insurance company. Liability only is the law here. A great many locals and city folk don't have any vehicle insurance - because they think/know it is a complete waste of money. If you save money, spend it the best medical insurance you can afford. You will need that once you are through crawling through the wreckage.

Who cares about the car? If you have no liability coverage because your car is not legal you are going to Jail and you will not pass Go. If you find yourself in that situation do as the Mexicans do: RUN!

58 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Who cares about the car? If you have no liability coverage because your car is not legal you are going to Jail and you will not pass Go. If you find yourself in that situation do as the Mexicans do: RUN!

I do not know anyone stupid enough not to carry liability insurance. Lewis and Lewis insures foreign plated vehicle insurance in Mexico, clearly written contract, in English, backed by Qualitas. The only notable exception in the legally binding and enforceable contract is that the vehicle cannot be driven by a Mexican citizen and must have a valid title in the U.S.A. or Canada. They offer almost the same insurance for Mexican registered vehicles. You must provide a copy of your tarajeta OR pedimento OR factura.

Lewis and Lewis is a trusted name in auto insurance, been around since 1983, I have never heard of them outright scamming people. Another thing, once you are in the repuve database for Mexican vehicles, if your car is stolen, you have a better chance of recovering it, than if you were running, lets say Alabama plates.

Here's something I'll bet you didn't know about insurance. Agents make 40% commission on auto insurance, 50% commission on medical insurance. This from a Mexican man whose Grandfather founded Lloyd financial, with an office in Puerto Vallarta and he bought that beautiful old bank in Ajijic , Actinvar (they acquired Lloyd). A neighbor to Farmacia Guadalajara. Have a look sometime, I don't think they would mind, but make sure you leave your guns at the door.

Yes, Lewis and Lewis is a reputable company, but if you are a permanent resident driving a foreign plated vehicle, which is illegal, I seriously doubt that Qualitas  would pay up if you were in an accident. If you know of such a case where they did,  Chillin, please share.

17 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I do not know anyone stupid enough not to carry liability insurance. Lewis and Lewis insures foreign plated vehicle insurance in Mexico, clearly written contract, in English, backed by Qualitas. The only notable exception in the legally binding and enforceable contract is that the vehicle cannot be driven by a Mexican citizen and must have a valid title in the U.S.A. or Canada. They offer almost the same insurance for Mexican registered vehicles. You must provide a copy of your tarajeta OR pedimento OR factura.

Lewis and Lewis is a trusted name in auto insurance, been around since 1983, I have never heard of them outright scamming people. Another thing, once you are in the repuve database for Mexican vehicles, if your car is stolen, you have a better chance of recovering it, than if you were running, lets say Alabama plates.

Here's something I'll bet you didn't know about insurance. Agents make 40% commission on auto insurance, 50% commission on medical insurance. This from a Mexican man whose Grandfather founded Lloyd financial, with an office in Puerto Vallarta and he bought that beautiful old bank in Ajijic , Actinvar (they acquired Lloyd). A neighbor to Farmacia Guadalajara. Have a look sometime, I don't think they would mind, but make sure you leave your guns at the door.

Actually if you are not aware, in Mexico your gun must stay in your home. Unlike the US. When I was an insurance agent I would have loved to receive those kinds of commissions on auto and medical policies. "Back in the day", 20% was tops and 15% was the norm. Progress......

We had an account with Lloyd for 6.5 years and had our car insurance and Commercial liability coverage for our B&B with them and thankfully never had a claim. But our cars were always legal.

Archived