Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking advice prior to visiting Ajijic

Hello all.  Sorry for my slow response back to this thread but work has been keeping me busy.

Everyone has provided some very sound advice which has definitely changed my approach to planning for this trip.  We were going to use AIRBNB or VRBO (and may still) since we have two small, well-behaved dogs that we don't want to leave here in the states while we travel to Mexico.

We would much rather stay in a hotel or B&B while we look for a place to rent but just assumed none would accept pets.  The few I tried in Guadalajara did not accept pets.

Needless to say I would appreciate the recommendation of a pet friendly B&B or hotel in Ajijic or Chapala. 

Thank you and hope everyone has a good weekend.

We were in a similar situation last year. ( A 90 lb sheep dog and two large cats...) We did a 30 day stay at the Casa Blanca in downtown Ajijic... (This was sans animals and in July). The location was ideal for evaluating in town living.  

Weather was as reported, rain mostly at night.... If you are an early morning riser you may have to ford the streets as they serve as the drainage for the nearby mountains.

Our plan was to wait until our house sold which we figured would be in six months to a year. It sold in three days which put us on the fast track to divest ourselves of everything and move south...

Since renting appeared to be a problem with animals, we opted to buy one of the many homes we saw during our July visit.  We couldn't be happier in our decision... Great neighbors, etc... When we arrived we kenneled the animals until our house closed (about 10 days)... We ended up shipping 5000 lbs of household goods which was another reason for buying as we didn't want the hassle of two moves.

If buying is on your future radar, the best deals are probably now in the off season...

The best advice Ican give you is rent, rent, rent. Many people who buy here quickly, who are initially happy, regret their decision after being here a few years. Or something unexpected, like an accident or illness, requires them to leave. Easy to buy. Hard to sell. It can take years to sell, and may be at a loss. Check out the threads on this topic. It is not hard to find rentals that will take your pets. And having a dog here is a good idea. I wouldn't live here without one.

Along the lines of Saturn`s post:  It would behoove you to know the neighborhood you are thinking of buying into.  This is easier to do when you rent and can reconnoiter several different neighborhoods.  Some are crazy noisy, some quiet, some streets flood, others do not, some are more prone to scorpions and mosquitos, etc. etc.

20 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

Along the lines of Saturn`s post:  It would behoove you to know the neighborhood you are thinking of buying into.  This is easier to do when you rent and can reconnoiter several different neighborhoods.  Some are crazy noisy, some quiet, some streets flood, others do not, some are more prone to scorpions and mosquitos, etc. etc.

Good point about the scorpions! Never thought of that although I should have. I started counting the scorpions I found inside our house after we built it. When I reached 200, just inside of a two year period, I gave up counting. I was stung five times. And no, we never sprayed. More afraid of the chemicals than the scorpions. But if we had rented, we could have moved.

1 hour ago, Saturn said:

Good point about the scorpions! Never thought of that although I should have. I started counting the scorpions I found inside our house after we built it. When I reached 200, just inside of a two year period, I gave up counting. I was stung five times. And no, we never sprayed. More afraid of the chemicals than the scorpions. But if we had rented, we could have moved.

We had a similar experience in Arizona - when you build you disturb their areas and they move into the house because it's where their area was.  It takes about two years before they give up.  We checked the situation out with folks at the U of A and they gave us that information - it proved accurate in our case and of others who built near us.

Archived