Chapala.com Webboard

WARNING. Scam Caller says they're coming to visit you. Repeat offender. Don't answer call from 833-292-7180.

Just got a call from someone using the phone number 833-292-7180 who didn't identify themselves and asked me to guess who was coming to visit me in Ajijic. Said they were from California and that they felt horrible I didn't know who they were. Kept repeating till I got angry and said I would hang up unless they identified who they were. They hung up.

Found this is a repeat offender - searched the phone number on line and many have reported similar experiences (found on this page: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-833-292-7180). Don't give any information, your name, address, etc. to anyone who calls using this number (or to anyone who won't identify themselves or who can't answer questions they should know about you). 

I was standing there when the call came into my friend's house an hour ago. We said "Is this Henry??!!" He said yep, blah blah blah. Eventually my friend said "I know who you are, and what you're doing, and listen to this: go F*** yourself!". He hung up.

Guest bennie2

you all have too much time on your hands. (you too sheila). isnt this just part of modern tech life? if people are so naive & dissconnected they should not be living alone in mexico. they may need senior care? i dont receive these kind of calls. if i did i wouldnt know, as i hang up immediatly. want to be taken off the call list? hangup. simple. what does it matter where the call comes from? 

Guest bennie2

aersnob: this forum is about suggestions- mine included. these scam calls have been around for years here & the US. seems this is a big issue in ajijic? if you want to curse out a stranger thats fine. every additional second you stay on the phone increases your chances of getting a call back. IMO only: if people need to be constantly warned, perhaps they do need an home aid. that should not be an insult, but reality.

If they are "means testing" they are not doing a good job because I got one also.  

I think I'm getting meaner and nastier in my old age.  I try to keep them on the phone as long as possible.  He claimed to be my nephew (I don't have one) so I led him on for at least 15 minutes.

He wanted to meet so I told him that I was working as a volunteer helping out the cops in Chapala so just drop in any time.  He hung up on me.  Rude chap......

Guest bennie2

(re: jrm30655)- see what i mean sheila? the area is a magnet for extensively timed calls. the retirees enjoy this, live & let live. mr jrm will be popular. i am not. oh well, its a lonely life. i dont even answer the doorbell. im not mean, im just not avalible. out of earshot out of mind. good afternoon.

1 hour ago, Paco Loco said:

I posted about this last month. Beware. These people are good and can fool you. They have successfully scammed a number of people in Ajijic out of $$.

If people are still that naive, then they definitely need someone else helping them take care of their finances.  These scam warnings have been around for at least 20 years!  If you haven't learned how to spot one by now, you need to assign a trusted relative or friend to be your power of attorney.   That way, your money will be safe.

Guest bennie2

suegarn: the voice of reason. they also should not be anwering the door, dealing w/workers, roaming around alone talking to strangers. they may need something more than a financial over seer. ps before the phone scammers there were seminar scammers. they know where the bread & butter is.

16 minutes ago, Lulugirl said:

No kidding, Xena.

Friend of mine got scammed a week or so ago.  Sharp witted, sensible woman.  The "judgers" on here may have so little empathy for their fellow humans that a plea for help doesn't get past the moat.  Sure, we should pay close attention to whether this is a real plea from a friend or relative or from a scammer, but getting suckered doesn't mean the person has lost his/her mind and needs custodial care.  Geesh!

The fact is that these scammers seeking out the soft hearted among us are the lowest form of pond scum, way lower than burglars and muggers.:ph34r:

Guest bennie2

lower than muggers? muggers have knives guns & can be violent. they dont give you the option of hanging up. ask the victims. your values are upsidedown. i choose my empathy wisely. in this case the empathy bank is closed. your friend is not sharp witted. perhaps she has on set on senilty? people go in & out. they can act perfectly normal then you see them change back & forth. i have observed neighbors for years. perhaps shes lonely? she cant be that naive? in any case, sounds like a person who needs some help.:(

15 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

lower than muggers? muggers have knives guns & can be violent. they dont give you the option of hanging up. ask the victims. your values are upsidedown. i choose my empathy wisely. in this case the empathy bank is closed. your friend is not sharp witted. perhaps she has on set on senilty? people go in & out. they can act perfectly normal then you see them change back & forth. i have observed neighbors for years. perhaps shes lonely? she cant be that naive? in any case, sounds like a person who needs some help.:(

They are lower than muggers since they prey on the better part of human nature, the instinct to help rather than harm.  From what you've said, this would be an alien concept to you. There are some people who could see a person bleeding on the street and not stop the car.  Others would.  You know where you stand and yes, our values are very different.  May they remain so.

Having read your opinions of life in Mexico, I would be interested in hearing your reason for choosing to live here, rather than in the U.S.A.  If I shared those opinions, I would have scooted on back years ago.

Guest bennie2

gringal as i said, your values are upside down. a person bleeding is not the same as someone yakking on the phone. your metaphors are more absurd w/each post. watching too many hours of MSNBC? as for members personal lives, there is another board for the perpetually nosey. dont want to help your alleged streetsmart friend? even though she is not bleeding?for someone who is so morally rightious, thats a shame. 

1 hour ago, bennie2 said:

gringal as i said, your values are upside down. a person bleeding is not the same as someone yakking on the phone. your metaphors are more absurd w/each post. watching too many hours of MSNBC? too many huffpost mindbend editorial pieces? as for members personal lives, there is another board for the perpetually nosey. dont want to help your alleged streetsmart friend? even though she is not bleeding?for someone who is so morally rightious, thats a shame. 

Bennie:  Somewhere on the top of the page are "rules".  As in, "no personal attacks".

And no, I don't intend to "help" anyone who's been scammed by deeply insulting their sanity or their intelligence.  Most people don't take well to that.

Archived