Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for advice on bringing dogs to Ajijic for first time

My wife and I currently live in North Carolina and and are planning a road trip to Ajijic for the month of June.  My wife's family lives San Augustin but we plan to rent a place in Ajijic since there is more to do.  We are bringing two small dogs which I walk daily here in NC.

After watching a few Youtube videos of folks walking thru the streets of Ajijic, I know there are several dogs that roam free.  I also witnessed this on our trip to San Augustin last year when we came by ourselves by commercial air.

For those of you that have dogs and like to walk them, how do you handle the loose dogs that may or not be friendly or a threat to your pets?

I would also appreciate any advice on bringing my dogs across the border for the first time (other than needing vet certificate).

Thank you!!

Generally, the street dogs don't bother dogs on leashes.  But carry a stick to beat them if they try to rush your dogs.

Across the border, nothing more than an international vet certificate filled out no more than 10 days before crossing the border.  Also, proof of internal AND external parasite medicine.

I have an elderly mid size dog and two small dogs.  When we go walking, we take a dog stroller partly because our old girl gets tired and largely because l three fit in the stroller and when we have run into street dogs we can plop them in the stroller, do up the screen and everyone is safe!  Most street dogs don't seem to bother but we do have a couple in the neighborhood who have attacked other dogs; one jumped out of a truck window to go after a smaller dog in the hood so we find that it is best to be prepared. 

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.   I do appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Yo1 - Thanks for the heads up on proof of the internal/external parasite medication as I was not aware of that requirement.  I assume the prescription on the box for the Trifexxis I use will suffice?  Who would be requesting this documentation as well as the vet certificate?

Archived