Chapala.com Webboard

Number 4 Quatro noise level after hours - in Ajijic

solajijic

Your neighbors generally have no problem with your noise and music during regular business hours. HOWEVER, we have decided to join together to stop your staff and the after business noise from midnight 12:00 into the morning hours. It is 1:30 and you haven't had anyone in your restaurant for over 2 hours. Your doors are closed which means your business should be silent. Last weekend your staff party went until 4:30 am. With four different people stationed around the neighborhood we are each logging the time, the noise level by actual recording and an official volume meter. We are also calling the officials every evening on the hour. We are just fine with you doing what you need to bring clientele into your restaurant during business hours...the after hours partying and noise is unreasonable.

We shouldn't be fine with "restaurants" that make loud noise in the middle of residential neighborhoods late at night.  These places are nothing but bars selling noise and drinks and calling themselves restaurants to get around the laws regarding operating bars in neighborhoods.

There are only a few of these places, please don't patronize them out of respect for your neighbors and community.  Remember that it could happen to you.

Good luck with your problem.  I do have a real sound meter if you want to borrow it to check your instruments.  PM me.

58 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Thank you so much SOLAJIJIC...I live 2 blocks from there, and just as I was turning out the light to try to go to sleep.... around 11-12PM I could hear the loud music (actually I don't consider electronic pounding and thumping music...) and loud talking and laughing etc, .and it seemed to go on all night long... I just couldn't imagine where it was coming from.  Thank you for locating the source of that awful noise.  I hope the management at 4 will take action and put a stop to this nonsense.

i heard it too, 3 blocks away...no excuses.

I heard it also three blocks away , the bass was so loud everything in the place had to be vibrating, we also do not go to restaurants when they have entertainment as we go out to converse with one another,  and this restaurant is so out of price, and to endure their noise, we will never go there

With plenty of experience in Puerto Vallarta, noisy after hours parties is usually the death rattle of a club/restaurant. They are drinking the bar dry. They are also punishing the neighborhood because customers didn't get behind their dream of an urban style bar/club, with urban style prices. Fines? Join the line of creditors.

You just have to hope that the club which replaces it is trying to become a world mecca for harp music!

14 minutes ago, nothernewbie said:

What is the response of the owners of Quatro?

I believe they are going for the "fickle flying finger of fate" approach. And before you say that dates me, I saw it in reruns - honest!

In a desperate attempt to raise the literary standards of this excellent board, I offer an olde limerick

Finger of Fate

Women of wit are treacherous tools,
Ever fatefully embracing :() fools;
When pleasure waves a finger, it's never too late,
To enjoy the indulgence of the finger of fate.

To tread through briars and hedges of thorn,
Where whimsy's shrewd fickle feet are borne;
And taste with delight the pleasures of pain,
Where everything's lost, and there is no gain.

Whenever a woman of wit should arrive,
Gather your wits to stay alive;
For you know she’ll gather her skirts to chase,
And a fickle finger of fate might just save your face.

6 hours ago, bwhite1948 said:

Never understood why patrons want loud music while they eat.  Going out for a meal ought to include table conversation, which is impossible at noisy places.  Loud music at a restaurant is a sign that good food is not the major interest of the owner.   

Couldn't agree more and we will not patronize places that do this.  Cocinart demonstrates how soft and melodious music can add to the dining experience.  Over amplified geezer gringo music just adds to the indigestion.  

I don't know about Four but the one across from us is empty until the noise starts well after the usual dinner hour around here.  I don't think many people eat there, they just go to drink and dance.  These days we hardly ever smell food odors from the kitchen even though it fronts on the street.  We are thankful for that. :D

Unfortunately I think this is going to be a growing problem here because they know they can get away with it while at the same time the authorities are gradually cracking down on it in GDL.  They are also cracking down on it in PV if the news reports are to be believed.

Well I am not sure what place you all were hearing because the sound I heard was loud but not thumping.  It was not a live band but the interior sound system of CDs.  In fact we were entertaining outside all evening from 6 to 12 without really noticing the regular dinner music in the air.  We did notice there were not many patrons for dinner and we did notice when the restaurant shut down.  That is why this tendency to have staff stay after hours and turn on the sound system and party and be noisy until the early morning hours is noticable and incredibly inconsiderate.  

The vocalist usual musical sets are innocuous enough for a nice dining experience but I really think they would be more likely to bring more clientele in the doors for dinner if the woman sang at half the volume.  If I can hear it outside the restaurant then no one inside the restaurant can hear themselves chatting with friends while dining.  I don't have the sense that the place is a big dance venue like the La Bodega place Mainecoons is talking about.  

Two neighbors have said something in the past.  I know in March one neighbor had the city fellow come out on several evenings to take noise readings along the street. Actually they should be grateful that no one complains about the 8-11 music they deem necessary for their business and you would think the management would be very attuned to making sure they don't give anyone nearby cause to begin complaining. Instead of always looking for a new live entertainment option to bring in people wouldn't it be novel if a restauranteur decided to dedicate an evening or two each week to real dining and played quiet instrumental pieces.  Selections you can recognize and get up and dance together.

I am letting the neighbors carry this one with the municipality because if this 4 restaurant decides to shut down who knows what will show up in the location.  So I like the devil I know, I just don't want him going on to the wee hours.

Number 4, the prior restaurant, in reality did itself in, because of the owner's unbridled emphasis on the importance of music.   The end result......Number 4 failed miserably and never became the restaurant that many of us, initially had hoped for!   As for the current occupants of the same space........it's only a matter of time!  As for the current noise complaints, .make a nuisance  of yourself at the Ministerio Publico 766-2415.  Enough complaints from citizens who are willing to identify themselves could shut them up (read: down).

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Neighbors,

We do no frequent this board, but this post was mentioned by guests.

“4” Management apologizes to the complaining neighbor(s), regarding any sound(s) that may have come out of the premises after hours. There was indeed ONE private birthday party after hours. We sincerely regret that anyone was bothered.

Now, we have a water bottling business to our right, a couple of apartments and a hotel to our left, so we have a mixed use neighborhood, and some of our neighbors actually work at “4”. Furthermore, there were several other parties going on that night in the area, with much louder music (our sound system has bookshelves speakers). We think we know where the issue is, so it's an easy fix.

That been said, ignorance seems to permeates a few of the posts here, while others are plain stupid. And like Ron white said, you can’t fix stupid. So we won’t waste time with that non sense. The obvious smart one being the one asking: What is “4” response? Well “4” could not have responded since NO ONE talked to Management. To remediate this “4” is inviting you, our neighbors, to cross the street, visit with us and talk around a glass of wine, like civilized people.

To set the record straight, Number 4 did not fail miserably. Being from Toronto, Kim brought with her exacting standards and a level of sophistication still unequalled around these shores. She got tired, for reasons we now clearly understand.

Finally, “4” enjoys what is referred to as the “Banda Put”. So you should actually pray and even patronize the new “4” to ensure its success for two powerful reasons.

1 - It will keep up the value of your real estate investment by maintaining a certain level of guests.

2 - If it is not, there is an open ended offer from Guad promoters: they'll turn it into a Mexican Cantina complete with live Banda (they own several and have approval).

Now, just picture what a Live Banda place would do for your Real Estate investment (not to mention your ears). Just in case, we recently fitted our live music stage and had it made more than twice the necessary size: it is large enough to accommodate a 12 piece Banda.

Regards,

“4” Management

7 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Wow!

Now there is a naked threat.

Not exactly conciliatory.  If they've already enlarged the stage and obtained permits, it looks like they've solidified their plans and no "civilized" discussion with alter them.  So, a hotel, a few apartments and a bottled water place are a "mixed use" neighborhood, eh?  That post is one of the best arguments for renting rather than buying around here.

They will do what they will do..If they built a stage obviously ,ore noise could be coming..but without customers wether it is a fine rstaurant or a cantina with 12 pieces it really does not matter..eventually place move on  promotors from Guadalajara or not.. Places come and go..this one will do te same thing.

I do not and never have minded your music during the evening for your clientele during business hours.  I do mind it after you shut your doors to paying customers.  It is only neighborly that you require your staff to make no noise after your business hours.  There are lots of new neighbors on this street and the surrounding blocks.  They are unhappy and making plans.  You should know about that and several have said they have talked with you in the past and you are not responsive to the point of being unpleasant.  I don't have a beef except with music and noise before and after your business hours.  

I have always told friends that your music is acceptable and we have learned to ignore it after all the place could be an  El Barco.  Looks like you might have those arrangements in hand.  

We beg to differ, maybe we were not clear.

In our response, “4” first apologized, then said we were sorry (as we are), we acknowledged the issue then said fixing the problem was easy, and since no one came to talk in the first place (we learned about this yesterday), we invited the bothered neighbors to a glass of wine for a civilized conversation.

Furthermore, we did sound test yesterday, measured decibels in front of the premises and on both street corners. We are conciliatory and there are no threats whatsoever. What else would you suggest we do?

What we do not understand is all that animosity towards Number 4, towards Kim, and that burning desire some people have to see the new “4” fails.

We embrace solutions not problems. We are working hard to have “4” succeed, have no intentions of failing, and we will keep peace in the neighborhood.

Regards,

“4” Management

OK, you are entitled to your opinion.

To me this sounds threatening and I'm entitled to my opinion:

Finally, “4” enjoys what is referred to as the “Banda Put”. So you should actually pray and even patronize the new “4” to ensure its success for two powerful reasons.

1 - It will keep up the value of your real estate investment by maintaining a certain level of guests.

2 - If it is not, there is an open ended offer from Guad promoters: they'll turn it into a Mexican Cantina complete with live Banda (they own several and have approval).

Now, just picture what a Live Banda place would do for your Real Estate investment (not to mention your ears). Just in case, we recently fitted our live music stage and had it made more than twice the necessary size: it is large enough to accommodate a 12 piece Banda.

Great, as we do not have a beef either, with anyone. As we already said, we agreed with you and we will fix the AH issue. Indeed, we have met a few new neighbors as they become great frequent guests drawn by … the music. Yes, there was one complaint when the TallBoys last played, but that was a few months ago and they were finished by 11:30pm. Were are not aware of any one unhappy.

Our invitation stands.

Regards,

"4" Management

Again no threats were made, if understood it this way, it was not the intention: There’s simply a plan B in place.

Archived