Chapala.com Webboard

Robber

When you live on a major thoroughfare you are probably safer than people who live a little further out..everyone has their priorities and so do the thieves.It was not intented to do  a cheap potshot but just to point out to  a fact of life., thieves fish where there are fish..

22 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I know some will heartily object to this, but I have to say that the more your place looks like there may be something of value to steal, the more likely you are to be a target. We are in a country where there is a huge discrepancy between the haves and have nots. Big fancy homes with perfectly manicured gardens, with tons of security bars, motion lights, etc, are going to come to the attention of thieves far more than a home that looks simple and modest (this is not to say that those homes never get broken into).

Yes, many retirees want to live the lifestyle they want to live and of course you can do this much more economically in Mexico than in most places NOB. But for me, I'd rather stick with my 21" flat screen and my 350 peso DVD player (which has been working great for 7 years and plays ALL regions) than spend my time and money on fancy security systems (the dog costs 300 pesos/month to feed), filing denuncias and lamenting the loss of all my expensive possessions.

I've personally found the opposite to be true.  The homes that aren't secure are the ones that have been broken into no matter what the condition of the neighborhood.   When there were horrible problems lakeside 4 years ago, I'd read online how much great security a home had and it freaked me out.  So I personally visited a dozen homes or so that had been broken into or had a home invasion and compared them to my home.  They were all easy to get into, they were visible from the street, most had no dog or no dog of any threat.  Some had more than one ankle biter dog that did nothing but hide when the thief reentered the same house, with probably nothing in it, over and over again.   The best anyone can do is look around a neighborhood, see what the home security looks like in the area and make sure your home isn't the one left unprotected with the least amount of security.  I talked with the long term neighbors that had a decade living with their home backing the highway and how did they never get a break in?  Believe me, once your home has been chosen, typically, the homeowner will then step up the security.  I chose not to do that, we'd been robbed in the village and that was enough.  I chose to step back and think like a robber, hahaha  And to that some mighty praying and I praise God that we've had no problems here.   I don't want any either.   There's nothing left to add for my comfort.  My only desire is a warning if I'm home and if I'm not home, I've done my best.  If two trained personal protection guard dogs, 10 ft walls with razor wire, high security locks, and a automatic door that can't be pushed in( and the door opener is no where to be found) doesn't do it then  I don't know what else we could do but hire a personal guard outside the wall.   Hopefully angels are doing that part.  ;0)   

There is an interesting thing Lakeside versus Chiapas when it comes to what to stealing, Lakeside thieves go for cash e, small electronics, jewelery that can be pawned off easily, in Chiapas everything goes including the cooking oil, that is the difference between an affluent area and a poor area. When the area is really poor, clothes pots and pans , blankets , tools etc..are very desirable not so much in a more affluent area like lakeside.

I have heard that the bedroom , chest and bedside furniture are always searched when areas under sink in bathrooms and kitchen less so. My aunt in Marseille used to be robbed several times a year and she never lost her jelery, she used to hide her rings in the  cubes in the freezer of course in those day they did not have an ice machine..She was robbed 8 times in one year when she finally moved. that year the dog was kidnapped and she was robbed when she went to pay the ransom and her car was broken into and the gun she had under the seat was stolen..

• mod-3 locked this topic

Archived