Chapala.com Webboard

Robber

Did you ask security how they got in or were they let in?  Were they workers working on a job?

35 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Did you ask security how they got in or were they let in?  Were they workers working on a job?

Good afternoon homeowners.

Through this it gives me a pleasure to inform you about the capture of two thieves. Last May 2 around 07:00 pm patrolmen noticed something odd on one of the affected homes of Arthur Ashe. Entering the address to investigate the situation they encounter two men stealing miscelaneous from the property. Realizing the presence of security they start  running towards the creek throwing their loot along their path trying lose the sight of the patrolmen. They chased the thieves for a moment and suddenly they stopped to look at where thieveswere headed. The Patrolmen intercepted them but before catching them, the thieves entered a local home.  The patrolmen waited for the local police to arrive, who had already had been contacted by security booth. The police arrived before long. Then policeman entered the property with the owner's permission to arrest the thieves.

Unfortunately finding nothing at the time that the thieves were caught, the police will let them go after 48 hours of detention, during which further investigation can be done. The laws in Mexico have changed since Feb. 12 and police have no power to keep them longer if there is no violence.

We ask that those who have not denounced to do it, this is to give us more attention.

By "denounced" (fromt eh Spanish "denuncia") this essentially means you must file a complaint with the police. This also means that if the affected homeowners fail to file a report, these guys will go free in 48hrs. I hope the homeowners decide to file. Lord knows we have all wanted the police to do something in past threads on similar subjects, now that they are doing it, lets help them. In case they do not follow this board, if anyone knows the homeowners, could you make sure they are aware of what they need to do next? Txs.

December twenty seventh 2015 we were broken into in the middle of the afternoon --AGAIN--  They made a hell of a mess, pulled things out of dresser drawers, cabinets, closets etc..  There were plenty of people around but no one saw the thieves come in through the one sky light that did not have "protection" at that time.  We were ticked to say the least but decided not to call the police because they did nothing the last time we were robbed.  But neighbors persuaded us to call and report the crime and so we did.  Six or more heavily armed officers arrived and spent about an hour and a half taking pictures, making notes asking us question about what was missing, and collecting all kinds of personal information. 

Right away we realized that the last of generations of family jewelry was gone along with an I- phone and numerous other items including clothing!   The next day the thugs were caught; they had robbed others as well and left the loot in a field.  They were caught when they returned for their haul; we were glad even though we knew that our missing items would remain that way forever.  Two days later our gardener informed us that the criminals had been released because no one made a formal complaint.  Here was us thinking that we had!  Turns out that we should have driven the hour to make a "formal" complaint in Chapala, otherwise it does not count I guess.  Just saying . . .

We have a house in SJC that has been burglarized at least 4 times. We have called the police and filed a report with the Ministerio Publica, but never heard back a thing. We even know who did it( they squat next door, mountainside of carretera ,farthest east in SJC) and contacted the Raquet Club , Monte Coxala and others above us to inform them. they have also had the same kind of theft---copper pipes and wire as well as anything not nailed down....another person, to remain nameless ,sees these guys hauling stuff down the arroyos from the Club and has been robbed 8 times by these guys. hope these are the right ones, but fewer thieves are always a plus.

18 hours ago, J.Miller said:

.....two days later our gardener informed us that the criminals had been released because no one made a formal complaint.  Here was us thinking that we had!  Turns out that we should have driven the hour to make a "formal" complaint in Chapala, otherwise it does not count I guess.  Just saying . . .

That is correct, calling the police and having them show up does not count as an official report. You have to physically go down and file a complaint (un denuncia) that they laboriously type out and, when complete you will be asked to sign it and are given a copy for your records. This is an often misunderstood part of the legal process here, but it is a critical and necessary step. Be patient, it is a long document full of legaleze. If you are not fluent in Spanish, make sure someone is with you who is. The official document they give you must be factually correct and is the only thing that may keep these guys in jail for longer than 48hours (bringing eye witnesses who can ID them would be great). This document is also needed for filing insurance claims.

I was burgled in San Antonio last week shortly after having security wires intalled. If you want to know who NOT to hire to do security wiring, PM me.  I know how the guy feels who lost family heirloom jewelry, but it could have been much worse.

I am telling you that it is not common EVERYWHERE, as you stated. There are pockets in lakeside that have far more burglaries than most areas.  I stand by my statement until you can show that it is incorrect. Well over ten years here and absolutely no burglaries in my vicinity.

I know some will heartily object to this, but I have to say that the more your place looks like there may be something of value to steal, the more likely you are to be a target. We are in a country where there is a huge discrepancy between the haves and have nots. Big fancy homes with perfectly manicured gardens, with tons of security bars, motion lights, etc, are going to come to the attention of thieves far more than a home that looks simple and modest (this is not to say that those homes never get broken into).

Yes, many retirees want to live the lifestyle they want to live and of course you can do this much more economically in Mexico than in most places NOB. But for me, I'd rather stick with my 21" flat screen and my 350 peso DVD player (which has been working great for 7 years and plays ALL regions) than spend my time and money on fancy security systems (the dog costs 300 pesos/month to feed), filing denuncias and lamenting the loss of all my expensive possessions.

Archived