Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Drivers Licence

Use the search function; put in the word 'license' and you will see a thread from April this year which lists the requirements and where. I believe the only place you can get a new MX license is in GDL - written and driving test required.  You could also check with Spencer's office to see if they are assisting new licensees.

There is only one place you can get a new drivers license and it is in Guadalajara.

Guadalajara

·         Secretaría de Movilidad "Licencias"

Tipo de oficina: Unidad administrativa responsable del trámite
Teléfono: (33) 38192423
Domicilio: Circunvalación División del Norte. #S/N

Entre las calles: Circ. División del Norte y Av. Alcalde.
Calle posterior: Félix Palavicini.

Descripción de ubicación:
Circunvalación División del Norte, S/N, esquina Av. alcalde, Col. Santa Elena Alcalde. Enfrente de la glorieta de Tránsito y Soriana Tránsito

Open 8 until 3

Domicilio Av. Circunvalación División del Norte S/N y Av. Prolongación Alcalde Col. Jardines Alcalde, Guadalajara, Jalisco. You can get your first Jalsico license in the Transito building. The building is on the northeast of the glorieta of Alcade and circ division norte. Right now there is light rail constriction in the area, so traffic is terrible 2015 November.

"Requisitos" are what you need to bring with you. Along with those documents, you'll need to know your blood-type, and you'll need to pass an eye exam (frighteningly easy), a 20-question written test on the computer which is multiple choice in Spanish, and a driving test. Evidently it all depends on how that office is being operated whenever you happen to go.

10 questions out of possible 100, 20 minutes (2 minutes each question) and if you get more than 2 wrong, you have to come back for another try, but you don't have to pay again.

I just took the test on April 5th 2016 for a new license.

I needed:  

1.CURP  

2. Credencial

3.CFE or TelMex bill (no older than 3 months)

4.Blood type and RH

Copy and original of above 4

5. Know your mailing "ZIP" code. 6.

You can make an appointment

A. No vision test. B.They provide the auto/pickup truck/motorcycle as necessary. C. They will provide -multiple choice exam (10 questions). 

Driving test--Drive around a small circular course in their parking lot and follow the markings on the pavement (Stop, RxR,-don’t stop) and then parallel park. The cones are tall, visible and far apart. Take as long as you wish and as many wheel turns as you wish. 3-5 minutes total test time if you are really slow.

$542

http://tramites.jalisco.gob.mx/tramite/8358

You can use your own vehicle if you want, but it is much easier just to use one of theirs. They have both stick shift and automatic. Their cars are right there, ready to use. Because of lack of parking (it is the middle of Guadalajara, after all) I would have had to walk several blocks to get my car.  Then I would have had to wend through heavy traffic and multiple one-way streets (always the wrong way!) to get back into the lot where you take the test. Instead, I just jumped into one of theirs and the test was done in less than five minutes, including parking. I found the whole experience to be remarkably efficient, from initially walking in the door, to moving through the process, taking the computer test and finally the driving test and, after a short wait, receiving my new license

Automobile 500

Chofers licence $565.00 pesos

• 2 weeks later...

If you aren't allowed a translator you wouldn't pass it if you didn't study. It is in Spanish. You need to memorize the questions and answer especially since some don't make sense.

I took the drivers licence test in March.  I got none of the questions that were on the old written test.  It's all pictures now so wasn't that difficult even if some of the scenarios I have never seen.  They provided a translator for me and were extremely accommodating.  The most difficult part was just getting there through the construction.

In the morning of Friday the 20th they were giving the drivers test near the malecon in Chapala. They set up some cones. You only had to do the road test-no questions about the driving regulations to answer. I wish I had know. At that time I was in Chapala giving driving lessons to my mentee to prepare him to do the test in Guadalajara. This testing in Chapala would have been really easy and convenient. If anyone hears when this is going to happen again could they post it please?  

• 2 months later...

Someone posted on TOB yesterday that testing would be held today only.  I have no idea how to find out beforehand when the next one will be.  I went to Guadalajara for mine.

In Vallarta it's incredibly simple with maybe a 15 minute wait. You pay right there and mine was 2 years expired, I was using my Texas license, and they could care less about that. Took my picture and 5 minutes later I had my license. Viva Mexico!

45 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Rony did a post saying that driver's licenses will be done in Ixtlahuacan on Aug 24.

Yes, that is what I read on the Ixtlahuacan government Facebook page.

• 10 months later...

I just got my Mexican License today, my 70th birthday!!!  What a breeze.  Why so easy?  I used Eduardo to drive and translate for me.  I got his name off a Chapala.com blog from back in 2014.  We left early for Guadalajara and battled traffic but he knew the way even around lots of construction that was going on and he helped me to go to the head of every line (about 6 stations for finger prints, test-touch screen in English, pictures etc...), there were may people in front of me but I was over 55 or what ever and we shot through till the end where we waited for the license to be printed out.  About 1 1/2 hours in all.  We stopped for lunch at the Plaza food court at El Tapatios, had a giant burrito, very good $55 pesos! All-in-all quick and painless.  I would recommnend this to anyone who does not speak Spanish well!  $500 pesos and lunch!  Nice guy, good driver and English, been doing this for years.  Eduardo, Cell: 045 331 134 8492. 

On 5/21/2016 at 2:21 PM, Joyfull said:

For those that have gotten a Mexican license...how difficult is the written test if you don't study? Can you take the test in English if you don't read enough Spanish?

Very difficult. Not in English when I went.

Archived