Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajara Reporter

The Guadalajara Reporter website seems to have been hacked. This is not the first time. It has been that way now going on 3 weeks. It appears no one monitors the site. Their posting times vary on Fridays. This weeks edition may have a photo of last weeks paper. I have subscribed to the on line edition for years because I do not have transportation and would like to receive the publication in a timely manner. I will not be renewing my subscription as  the publication seems not to care about its on line subscribers. Not much in there anyway, maybe the art show announcements. The newspaper quality has certainly declined.

Well, hopefully, they employ someone, (or dare I hope) more than one person, who checks the local webboards, so they will see your message. How about it, Guad Reporter staff? Are you with us??? Earth to Guad Reporter, are you drifting beyond the galaxy?

And, sudden thought, shouldn't you (the GDL Reporter) be posting here? There IS more than one form of journalism these days. THIS WEBBOARD, and TOB, are both forms of journalism, and very successful, I must note.

Guest bennie2

the reporter wants the $$, conflict of interest. if they post it may be just headline teasers. that paper is an embarassment. this forum is far superior. even the listings were all wrong.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but have you ever paid attention to the total number of people on this Board reading any given post? Even if there are several comments, the same people read the new comments so the totals are not that high. If you actually want to make a positive change to the Reporter, I suggest you contact one of the editors. The are nice guys and pretty responsive in my experience.  If you just feel like complaining, you're at the right place.

Yes, they do have someone caretaking their site. Having been hacked once (and that was a domain-name hack, not a website hack), they are all too conscious of security issues.

And if you saw old news, it is because they wanted it to stay or you browser did not refresh its memory cache. The Reporter staff are quite aware of this and other local webboards, but have wisely chosen not to step into the bitchy waters. I challenge those who say it's a crap newspaper to provide examples.

And I clicked LIKE THIS on Al Berca's post.

i don't have much to say about the rest of the things in this thread, but the Guadalajara Reporter has certainly been having issues for weeks. I don't know if it's fixed now. For those that haven't experienced the issues, the hack/malware was set to only occasionally display the "MAKE TONS OF MONEY" nonsense content. 

If you've been typing the URL or accessing it from a bookmark/favorite, that has worked much better for me. 

Google has recognized the issue and placed a notice below the site that you can see here: 

ZHedxnj.png

I may be wrong. But it may also be that some malware in your browser is redirecting you to a fake search results site. I have had no problems with the site. Or there may be malware that is set to redirect when certain names are typed in. In order to keep my PC as "customer normal" as possible, I don't use any special protective software, except when I'm testing such things for people.

I'm checking with the Editor, and will post again.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I may be wrong. But it may also be that some malware in your browser is redirecting you to a fake search results site. I have had no problems with the site. Or there may be malware that is set to redirect when certain names are typed in. In order to keep my PC as "customer normal" as possible, I don't use any special protective software, except when I'm testing such things for people.

I'm checking with the Editor, and will post again.

That was my thought when I initially had problems a few weeks ago and hadn't heard anyone else complain about it. To be sure it wasn't me, I tested from multiple computers, multiple browsers, multiple operating systems, multiple DNS servers, and multiple countries via VPN. 

Since then, google has started putting the "This site may be hacked" in the search results as seen here: 
ZHedxnj.png

Others should probably be able to verify that in the short term. 

I haven't had the redirect problems since I came back from a week away, and the spam content appears to be deleted. I think the issue is already fixed, but I wanted to show that there was a problem, and some of the reasons that others might not have experienced while lobos did. 

Archived