Chapala.com Webboard

Thorny wild brush

Could you post a picture? There are many shrubs that fit the description. Other than possible hay fever like reactions, most do not require protective gear. A dust mask wouldn't hurt to reduce the dust into the nostrils and gloves to protect against the espinas. There is one bad boy (um bad girl?) colloquially called "mala mujer" which has several variations, the commonest is covered in white spines, can form small bushes to large "trees". It is very painful to touch and with a rash like reaction like poison ivy. I have seen varieties here that are greyer (or silvery) with even fuzzier leaves from the density of the spines. These are all common here  and to be avoided without protective gear at all costs. I am not sure of the different variety names but all plants like this are called mala mujeur (the bad woman), perhaps because they look soft and attractive but can sting like hell if you touch 'em without protection  :-)

http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/797/cnidoscolus-angustidens-mala-mujer/

Cnidoscolus_ang_300.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, MyHomeSweetHome said:

There's a wicked thorny wild brush that grows here locally, does anyone know what it's called?  My husband is removing some and I thought there was a propane leak somewhere!  It is so pungent,  I wonder if he needs a gas mask?????  

If it has long white sharp thorns, it is known here as "huisache".  This plant goes from a shrub to a tree in a couple of years.

We`re a bit too south for creosote (Larrea tridentata).  I have not seen it here.

Archived