Chapala.com Webboard

Exterior Paint, Who has the best quality??

43 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Where is the closest Sherwin Williams paint store here?  Probably in Guadalajara I would guess.  How is the quality of Bereel paint compared to Comex?  And where is there a Bereel Paint Store?

Berel is on the highway in West Ajijic...going west, it is just before Roberto's Restaurant. I think Sherwin Williams is on the other side of the highway on that same stretch...I remember seeing it but can't detail the exact location for you.

Berel and SW are on opposite sides of the street facing each other, near Robertos restaurant on the carreterra, west side of Ajijic. SW is a far superior product to Berel but as one poster said, it depends on your price point and how many years you need it to last before you paint again. Shorter term paints would inclue Prism and Comex, both available locally. Each last about 5 years give or take your specific conditions.

If you want want a premium choice besides SW, you can also go all the way to Home Depot for the BEHR premium exterior paint. Both Behr and SW are about the same price. Both are top rated for coverage and durability. Home Depot offers better colors and mixing and matching options than the local SW store. You can Google exterior housepaint ratings. The main advantage to Behr over SW is it goes on sale from time to time. I have never seen SW have a sale.

The least expensive can be far more costly than one priced significantly higher.  In one independent study SW was found to cover 3x better than Behr.   Fact easily googable.  (Is that a word?).   As is top Mexican paints - Comex, Berel and Prisa.   SW is by far the best but only if the clerk is good.  SW top of the hill, west of Juarez, lake side.  Just before Perry's Restaurant.  I would suggest using the best primer as the single most important factor in painting.

one time Lakeside pundit, John, from Los Arroyos gave detailed instructions on paint selection and application.  Search engine might find it.  Of course take any information with caution but good for consideration.

My painter said he refused to use SW but his client insisted.  Had to be redone within 3 months.  When we first moved here 6 years ago the joke was with SW you can never touch up with left-overs because it will never match.

When I did exterior painting all three of the painters who bid said Prisa Plus was the best for wear and longevity. They said SW in Mexico is not the same, but an inferior product, compared to SW NOB. I did what they suggested and have been happy for five years, although, with full sun it is getting close to that time again.

Al Berca just made the best statement

" When I did exterior painting all three of the painters who bid said Prisa Plus was the best for wear and longevity. ....I did what they suggested and have been happy for five years, although, with full sun it is getting close to that time again ..."

Full sun takes a hard toll on any paint, so I suppose its reasonable to expect shorter life spans then advertised for any brand. As a heads up, local painters who quote for paint jobs usually swear by Prisa because 1) its cheaper, and 2)  the local store cuts them a deal and they get more profit. After that its all about the brand you are used to using (ie: how many people really question their choice of laundry detergent or tooth paste after using the same one for many years?). That Al Berca's job needs redoing after 5 years pretty much says it all. I have used SW in full sun before, moving after 8 years with no need to repaint. Mind you, the house was white. Houses with strong colors don't last as long. Blue based colors fade faster than yellow based colors.

I went with Behr this time as a test after googling the various product ratings and reading the customer comments for southern climates, and because it was on sale. I'll let you know in a few years how that went...... ;-D

If your painters are providing the paint as part of their contract price, make sure they don't add water to it! I know this sounds like a no brainer, but I can't believe how many times I've seen guys here do this. A friend caught her painters watering down the expensive paint she had purchased herself, and when she asked just what they thought they were doing, they said they were just trying to save her money. She had to explain that they were negating the whole point of her buying high quality paint.

So what I gather from this, correct me someone if I am wrong, is that Sherwin Williams is probably the most expensive paint to be found in the area but since the sun is so extreme here that it most likely won't last that much longer than the other medium priced paints.  Berel is a high quality paint also, but maybe a little cheaper than SW and many people have had good results with that paint.  And also Prisa Plus (is that the same as regular Prisa Paint or step up in quality?) is decent paint that may give good results also.  And I've had very little feedback about Comex, so probably that will be a NO.  So it sounds to me like for durability and cost it might be a toss up between Berel and Prisa Plus.  Are they very different in cost and durability?  Prisa is more convenient since I live two blocks or so from there, but I want something that will look great and last a long time of course!  What to do?  What to do?

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

If your painters are providing the paint as part of their contract price, make sure they don't add water to it! I know this sounds like a no brainer, but I can't believe how many times I've seen guys here do this. A friend caught her painters watering down the expensive paint she had purchased herself, and when she asked just what they thought they were doing, they said they were just trying to save her money. She had to explain that they were negating the whole point of her buying high quality paint.

The painters will tell you that the instructions for paint is to add 10% water.  I told them to add NO water!

We used Comex Vinimex for over a decade, with good results, but only from the store in Chapala, where they knew how to match colors much better than in the Ajijic store. First coats were diluted with about 10% water, but the final coat was not diluted at all.

16 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

We used Comex Vinimex for over a decade, with good results, but only from the store in Chapala, where they knew how to match colors much better than in the Ajijic store. First coats were diluted with about 10% water, but the final coat was not diluted at all.

So did we...both in San Miguel de Allende and on the coast. But we always added sealer (sellador) to the paint as well...just can't remember the exact proportions. Paint jobs always lasted over five years. Also used a sheep skin roller to get in all the nooks, crannies and grooves.

One thing, that no one has mentioned in this thread, is the importance of prep. If the prep's not good then the paint job will be sub par even if you use the best paint. The same thing goes for sealing the roof....if it's not clean ain't nuthin' gonna work.

11 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Oh, and another question if one accidently clicks on the quote tab......and you don't want to quote somebody, how the heck do you get rid of them??  :unsure:

Thanks!

This is a peculiarity of this forum. "Reply to this topic"  (without quoting anyone) is at the TOP of the page. This is totally not logical!

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

So did we...both in San Miguel de Allende and on the coast. But we always added sealer (sellador) to the paint as well...just can't remember the exact proportions. Paint jobs always lasted over five years. Also used a sheep skin roller to get in all the nooks, crannies and grooves.

One thing, that no one has mentioned in this thread, is the importance of prep. If the prep's not good then the paint job will be sub par even if you use the best paint. The same thing goes for sealing the roof....if it's not clean ain't nuthin' gonna work.

I know they like to add sealer to the first coat of paint, but sealer is designed to penetrate the plaster, whereas paint stays on the surface, so mixing them will result in less or no penetration of the sealer. A very professional painter confirmed this. This would be on new walls not previously painted. A repaint shouldn't need sealer unless the old paint has peeled off down to the original plaster.

After reading this I went to SW with a view to buying some interior paint.  Google pointed me to SW Emerald as first choice and Duration as second.   Third was Behr Marqee.

so, SW had not heard off their Emerald brand and recommended Kem-Tone.   Research on this brand of SW suggested it was a good product in 1944.   The SW web site doesn't even show it as a current product.

As to Behr's Marquee - it is NOT stocked in Mexico.

Since the Mexican brands dont seem to have on-line review looks like a trip to Texas is in order.     

Archived