Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable and Telmex Throttling

I have noticed something about both services and wondering if is my setup or both services have snuck in some restrictions and problems.

On a large file download it seems Telmex craps out when I have downloaded about 100MB, the data flow goes to zero as if I had no connection to the Internet.  On Telecable it seems to occur around 400MB.  I can sometimes get around that by pausing the download for a couple of minutes and then restarting the download.

Telecable also seems to have alot of dropouts where the connection is lost but resumes after a variable interval.

Torrents and streaming don't seem to be affected the same way.

Before I go tearing into routers and browsers, which I hardly understand, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed these things happening.

No, you are experiencing unusual problems. The fact that it does this on both services suggests problems with your computer. Could be drivers, DNS problems, TCP/IP settings, Winsock, cryptography... many things. Recommend you get a technician to check your computer.

I regularly download files of 2 Gigs and more on TelMex.  There is no "throttling" from TelMex, and god forbid they should ever hear the term.

not necessarily...mine started doing the same thing about 4 daze ago. took it to computer land , checked out

fine. reinstalled chrome , got a new modem.....worked well for 15 min. ...then returned to excessive 

download time.  complained and telmex  ( joke of a company ) is late on their 72hr. response time. 

"Throttled data transfer, also known as data transfer throttling or lean data transfer, is the deliberate regulation of the data transfer rate in a communications system. Data transfer throttling can be used in any scenario where it is necessary or desirable to limit the amount of data that can be sent or received per unit time."

If you were being throttled, it would be all the time; your speed wouldn't dwindle away. this is symptomatic of other problems.

Exactly what "checked out fine"... your computer? Can you be sure he did a comprehensive series of tests? Did he test your supposed "throttle" on his Internet connection? Throttling is imposed on individual customers who are consuming too much bandwidth for too long a period. What is your average download speed? Is it even fast enough to allow you to overdo it? Around here, that's highly doubtful. And a company like TelMex, facing more and more competition, is hardly like to both be raising speeds (without raising rates), and singling out users for using too much bandwidth.

I hope you called TelMex in Mexico City, and did not bother with the local Ajijic office... because generally speaking, they are incapable and uninterested in doing their job properly. The Mexico City staff, on the other hand, are well-trained and responsive. If you did contact them, they would have talked to you about your Signal-Noise ratio readings, both downstream and upstream, and your signal attenuation... and would have told you on the spot if they were correct or needed adjustment.

I repeat: TelMex is not throttling their services. Not yet, anyway.

called 123 0000.....no english option

called 123 2222.....reluctant long hold transfer to english speaker.....spoke with tim dea ( This Is Mexico  Don't Expect

Anything).

questions from a form regarding sett -up.....nothing about s/n.

given a  complaint number.

4th. day no response.......nothing personal, just FYI.

Just call again: 01-800-123-2222, as you know. You will get someone else. Every so often they have new staff who are reading off a list, as they learn the job. Keep calling back until you get someone knowledgeable. Carlos Rodriguez has been there for seven years; that has to be some kind of record, and I get him often during the day. He knows his stuff, as do others, but there are very few English speakers at tech support, so wait times can be frustrating. I got through yesterday afternoon in two minutes.

yeah well, got another robotic serf who wanted to go thru the whole process again....he never heard of carlos, and sounded like he was reading his replies.  he wanted another 48hrs. is there no alternative for circus  ? i am a permanent

resident.

Only my prediction, but about 2 years ago when everyone started sucking bandwidth with Netflix etc. I said it was only a matter of time before throttling, or some type of restriction would occur. Maybe this isn't it, but I can't imagine Telmex not seeing a great opportunity to squeeze some extra pesos out of big users.

Here is what they recently did to me giltner68. I was given quite a fast speed two years ago. Because I said I wanted to try out Telmex's movie packages.  My speed was raised to 12.6 down by 0.956 up per my modem and when doing speed tests, I got about 85 to 90% of that.  ( I never tried it out)

Well about three weeks ago we had some major outages and when I got my internet back my speeds seemed quite a bit slower. So I entered my modem and saw that the new settings were something like  6 Mb/sec down by 0.7 up.  I phoned and I phoned and I was shown on the techs screen in the Ajijic office that I could get 12 down. But that sadly today they only had 6 available.  Oh well

Time to do what others are doing and also use Telecable, running both internet connections to a new wireless modem which can somehow combine the two signals.

What a croc. There is no such thing as "only X available". I hope they aren't going into another round of cover-my-###. Man, the speed upgrades aren't even finished yet.

I would add that if anyone was throttling, they would be advertising the fact that you can pay more to get more. And not advertising that for another 100p, you can get 30 Mbits more!

Archived